z

Young Writers Society

Favourite Fantasy Writer

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:39 pm
tinny says...

I love Garth Nix. His old kingdom trilogy is amazing, and it's the only time I've ever known my dad to steal my books. A friend of mine described them as 'Harry pottor on scarey pills'.
I like Anne McCafferry too. Who can hate her when she writes about dragons?
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:01 am
Sohini says...

i like the universally usual fav.authors:
J.K.Rowling(do i even need to mention this?)
Roald Dahl (does he count as Fantasy Writer???-maybe not, eh?)
Christopher Paolini (of Inheritance trilogy)
J.R.R.Tolkien
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:29 am
Azrael says...

I love John Milton's work in Paradise Lost (I'm not finished with the book, but it kicks butt so far)
I absolutely ADORE Kaori Yuki. She's a manga writer who does fantasy works.
C.S Lewis is another great writer along with J.K. Rowling.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:41 am
zelithon says...

I can go on and on but i will simply say Terry Pratchett and Clive Barker.
I read almost all the books everyone mentioned...freaky i must have FANTABULUS taste. I read every book snionk mentioned and i am younger HA! i am ahead. :lol:
Anyway The Wolfs of Wallaby Chase may throw you off-it is not REALLY fantasy it just gives the feel of it. It is historical fiction just like her book Midnight is a Place he has written fantasy books too.
Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them!
-Dr.Suess

Deadpanners are backtalkers!

badonkadonk
Atheism is a non phophet organisation

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 am
plutogirl says...

Where to start with my favorite authors some of my favorites such as Anne McCaffrey have already been mentioned so I'll just add a few :P

Lee Strobel
Kevin Crossley-Holland
Cornelia Funke
Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta wrote a series I really enjoyed

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:39 pm
Poor Imp says...

Tolkien, without a doubt. But then, he rather transcends the genre idea...

Lloyd Alexander, Megan Whalen Turner...and that's all for others I can think of. Ack. I never can recall lists of favorites. Perhaps I don't have a list.
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 am
Myth says...

Stuart Hill who wrote The Cry of the Icemark. It is pretty similar to our world and includes things like Valhalla and an Empire that is very much like the Roman Empire (when Bellorum quotes Veni, Vidi, Vici).
.: ₪ :.

'...'

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:38 am
Bjorn says...

Now I've read a plethora of books, and not least of them fantasies. And when it comes to authors-thats one of the last things that sticks to me about a book! I will mention a few authors though, who's books I've enjoyed enough to remember:

My first and foremost favourite author is the late and always great Professor John Ronald Reul Tolkien. His works shall indefinitely stay stuck in my mind for as long as I live, and they have profoundly shaped my life upon reading them for the first time. It's thanks to Tolkien that I'm even here, that I've taken an interest in writing and languages-that I ultimately have somewhat of a path to follow in life! The works of his that I've read are, in no particular order: The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Book of Lost Tales (collectively). There are of course various other books concerning Middle-Earth that I've read. All of these I enjoyed and continue to enjoy every time I read them.

Others: Lewis, Rowling, L'Engle (though I suppose it's more science fiction she rights), Sarah Ash, etc.
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

Random avatar

Reviews: 91
Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:06 pm
Nox says...

Diana Wynne Jones, I love all her books and have every single one in my bookshelf.
In all the time we have
There is never enough time
To show what is in our heart.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:49 pm
Twitch111 says...

I would have to agree with KayJuran. Robert Jordan is the best author ever. I have all eleven of his Wheel of Time books and am eagerly awaiting the number twelve. He gets you really into the characters. He makes you feel like they are all old friends, and if you don't like a character, they feel like old enemies. He also makes a story that draws you father in with every word. He is just the best author ever.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:23 am
Swires says...

CS Lewis and JK Rowling.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:17 am
Elelel says...

Terry Pratchett.

-- I love his books to pieces. I have a section of my book case devoted to books that after I place on the shelf I retreat from the room grovelling on my stomach, and the majority of those books are discworld books ... actually, possibly all of the books that are fantasy are. If you have not read his books, then you have not lived. You will die an incomplete person.

Tamora Pierce -- I'm pretty sure I have all her books, unless there's some I haven't heard of. I liked most of them. You can see yourself in that world. I've started something at school with Tamora Pierce books. I got my friend hooked (who previously only ever read Harry Potter), and now she's getting all her friends hooked ... it hasn't had time to spread further than that yet, but these people are actually buying her books with their own money. Even after thay've read them in the library. These are people just don't read. Scary thought.

JK Rowling -- I like the Harry Potter books well enough. I don't like the first two movies though, but the third and fourth are good.

After them I haven't read so much by the one person so it's not so much as favourite writer as really good book, that hopefully the author can repeat the awesomeness into another book but I just haven't gotten round to finding said other book/s yet.

I liked the Axis trilogy by Sara Douglass (not 100% sure on spelling), and the Tenabran trilogy by Dave Luckett. I loved Legend by David Gemmell. I've read a few things by Garth Nix and liked them.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue May 02, 2006 8:30 pm
Dream Deep says...

I suppose my favorite fnatasy author used to be Dianne Wynne Jones, but I grew out of her books a long time ago.

Now it's probably Sara Douglass - she has the awesome winged Icarii, after all.

8)

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:12 pm
Esmé says...

Tamora Pierce!!!!!!!!! -i absolutely love here, lol. ^_^

-elein

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:12 pm
The Jesseble says...

Trudi Canavan - I enjoyed her books so much, she's written one of the only trilogies where each book gets better.

J.K Rowling - goes without saying *grins*

Garth Nix - his Old Kingdom trilogy is great, his style is so entrancing!

Marianne Curley - Her Guardians of time trilogy is really good for young teens...the best i think (appart from HP)

I can't think of anymore...ah well

Tj
***The Jesseble***

Cheese Hat

The Twelve Makeovers of Haircules is the stuff of legend. He defeated the Erymanthian Beard. One could say it was a hair raising adventure.
— KateHardy