z

Young Writers Society

Top 5 Worst Books You Ever Read

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed May 04, 2011 4:32 pm
fireheartedkaratepup says...

Fathers and Sons, by Ian Turgenev. That book was SO depressing and boring and DRY. I hated reading it. (It was for a school assignment.)

I didn't like The Iliad or The Odyssey either. I know some people liked them, but every time they launched into another lengthy description I would go, "whyyyyyyyyy

The Great Gatsby was rather torturous for me to read. I did not like most of the people and what they were doing, least of all Gatsby. Yeesh.... this person was popular?

And pick a Francis Schaeffer book. Any Francis Schaeffer book. It's like you have to crash through several walls just to understand what he's saying. And it's dry. So dry....
(One in particular was Genesis.)
Now, Schaeffer's a good guy who makes excellent points, but maaann..... couldn't you find some way to make it less like eating cardboard?
Last edited by fireheartedkaratepup on Wed May 04, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Wed May 04, 2011 4:43 pm
misstoria says...

1. Dear John by Nicholas Sparks It was okay untill she married a guy she didnt even love while her true love was at war
2. Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith Books were terrible but the T.V. series is good
3. Golden Compass Books by Phillip Pullman
4. The chronicles of Vladimir Todd by Heather Brewer
5. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling Torture to the eyes!
You are more than the choices that you've made, you are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create, You'v been remade.

http://writemeaway.blogspot.com/

Reviews: 1
Thu May 12, 2011 1:18 am
Shamrock says...

1. "The Boy Scout Handbook" by: BSA; Full of useful stuff wrapped up in boring texts and "sketchy" diagrams.

2. "Catching Fire" by: Suzzane Collins; Needs less kissing and more killing.

3. "Mocking Jay" by: Suzzane Collins; I'm supposed to like Katniss through this book.

4. "The Maze Runner" by: James Dashner; This book has a f**king sequel!f

5. All school books in general by: Miscellaneous Companies; You know how the book Fahrenheit 451 plot was to burn all books, it wasn't all that bad of an idea.

I'm sorry if I offended anybody with my list, i guess it happens.
I do know that in a Utopian/Distopian future, school books would be useful to human kind to learn through all over again, but i was just trying to come up with some smart a** reason as to why I don't like school books. :D

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat May 21, 2011 12:04 am
Xreigon says...

I don't know what the worst 5 are, but the worst book ever is 20,000 leagues under the sea. I probably understood about one word in the book.
“If you don't think there is magic in writing, you probably won't write anything magical.”
- Terry Brooks

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun May 29, 2011 6:32 am
Kibble says...

The Great Gatsby was rather torturous for me to read. I did not like most of the people and what they were doing, least of all Gatsby. Yeesh.... this person was popular?

I'm reading it for English and I hear you on the characters! I think that's actually the point of the book though, a sort of "these are the types of people who constitute the supposed upper class" message.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:10 pm
jok101 says...

Song of ice and fire series dam that man. I've never seen someone with such a disregard for his characters.I mean killing a characters for a reason is great but but for no other reason than it takes the book where you want it too.Thats just dumb.

Most other books if I don't like them I don't read them.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:36 pm
CRL says...

The worst book I ever read was A Wrinkle in Time; it was summer reading one year for school and I just couldn't stand it. I'm not sure there were any other books that I could say I really hated, but I have to agree with Xreigon, 20,000 Leagues was terrible. Oh, and anything Dickens that I have ever tried to read. The stories themselves are good but the sheer wordiness is just too much!
"They don't have meetings about rainbows."
-Cole Sear, The Sixth Sense

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:03 pm
Payne says...

5. The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. It wasn't a bad series, I just couldn't get into it. I read it mostly out of boredom...

4. Strange Highways by Dean Koontz. Just...no.

3. Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz. I literally can't remember most of the storyline, it was so unengaging.

2. Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice. Maybe I'm just slow, but I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on most of the time...

1. Whispers by Dean Koontz. It was just sick for the sake of being sick, in my opinion.

My grandmother gave me all of her old Dean Koontz books, unfortunately...
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:45 pm
MUCHO says...

5. Never Cry wolf by farley mowat except for the part where he runs around naked

4. The Stranger by Albert Camus that guy was such a dousche bag!

3. Catcher in the Rye I liked it, but that Holden kid just really needs to learn how to shut up, he is just so f---ing phony!

2. The Comunist Manifesto don't get me started on communism!

1. Anything "intelectual" like philosophy, or history, or scientific works I guess you can say I "suffer" from American anti-intellectualism, i hate it when anybody tells me something is alright because a scientist or "deep thinker" says so, like they are the ultimate judges of the universe you know....

P.S. The BEST book I have ever read is Catch 22 intellectual in a good way, so damn funny I fell off the couch!
"This is our decision,
to live fast and die young...
Yeah it's overwhelming,
but what else can we do?
Get jobs in offices and
wake up for the morning commute?

The models will have children,
we'll get a divorce,
find some more models;
everything must run its course!

Fated to Pretend

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:48 pm
fire_of_dawn says...

Does a whole series count? If so, I have three words: The Seafort Saga.

The entire series is about the misadventures of a disturbed teenager who, in the end, poisons his own son into being exactly like him. The author makes him thoroughly miserable the whole time.
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:06 pm
okkervilpuddle says...

1.) The Alchemist by Paul Coelho. A self-help book designed very, very thinly as fiction. It's preachy and badly written.
2.) The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It's amazing how someone can make such an unusual, dramatic life sound boring.
3.) Snuff by Chuck Palahnkiuk
4.) The Pearl by John Steinbeck
5.) The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy. Hardy is just not my kind of writer.

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 pm
View Likes
peanut19 says...

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte..hated it.
2. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
3. A Walk To Remember by Nicolas Sparks (I love the movie, it's like my favorite but I really hated his writing in the book)

There are three. I'll edit this when I read two more bad ones(:

~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:35 am
PogueMahone says...

1. The Book of Job

Yes, I am hating on the Bible. It's a horrible, horrible story.
Devil: "Hey, god. What's up? Want to take this good man and completely make him miserable?"
god: "Sure, I haven't really done much since the whole creation thing. And after all these years, masterbation has just kind of lost its glimmer, you know? Pain and suffering?---hm, sounds fun. Oh yes, let's ruin this guy."

2. On the Road by Jack Kerouac (the original scroll)

I enjoyed the edited version of On the Road, but the original scroll read like an amphetamine-induced ramble (which, of course, is what it was. Benzedrine inhalers ain't no joke.) Throw that in with a buttload of gay sex and naive mysticism about the joys of running out on your family to get drunk and wander aimlessly around the country and you have Jack Kerouac's masterpiece. Basically the tale reads: gay sex, amphetamines, gay sex, beer, gay sex, wine, gay sex, oh...oh...oh...something about having a man-crush on Neal Cassidy...oh, and did I mention gay sex and beer?

3. Rich in Love

I had to read this Freshman year of college. I don't remember the author and I don't want to. Some books are better off as kindling.

4. Hamlet

Sure, it's a play, but nonetheless it's a terrible read. The story is boring and I have yet to see this play acted out in a theater in such a manner that it prevented me from sleeping or rudely taking multiple smoke breaks during the performance.

5. Da Vinci Code

Oh, Jesus. How did this book gain such fame and controversy when it's all taken from the "non-fiction" (and I use that term loosely) book: Holy Blood, Holy Grail? Some old French guy who probably needed a handful of anti-psychotics and a padded room in the local loony bin forged some documents...and the forgery based its theory on documents that were forged years prior by another nutjob, if I recall correctly. I forget the particulars of the hoax, but the basic gist is that people will believe anything if you make it interesting enough and toss in a French accent.
"On rare occasions he showed flashes of stagnant intelligence. But his brain was so rotted with drink and dissolute living that whenever he put it to work it behaved like an old engine that had gone haywire from being dipped in lard."
---Hunter S. Thompson, The Rum Diary

Reviews: 1
Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:19 pm
ZeroKelvin says...

1. The Peppermint Pig by Nina Borden. What do you get when you remove the plot AND the prose from a book? This. It is poorly written, and leaves you empty at its sheer inanity. Nothing. Actually. Happens.
Ever.

2. Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince. I liked the first three books, and found bits of the seventh good, but four, five, six, and parts of seven just got worse, until we ended up at that abomination that is the Halfblood Prince.

3. Nightingale by Alastair Reynolds. This is actually quite anomalous, as I generally like Alastair Reynolds. He isn't spectacular, but he's a fair-to-middling sci-fi author with occasional flashes of brilliance. Nightingale, however, was just horrible. he went from being clever to just barf-worthy body horror with little or no subtlety. Very little gore, but absolutely hideous. Do not read.

4. Eragon by Christopher Paolini. It left me cold to be honest. However, to be absolutely fair, I will say that his later works are showing a lot of improvement, and he is becoming an asset to the fantasy genre. What is funny, however, is reading the later books as he tries to backtrack and eliminate or restructure all of the naff plot elements he set up in the first book. Eragon itself was just below average in every way.

5. Absolutely everything ever written by Enid Blyton. Ever. Including all of her post cards, tax returns, and more. Every word she ever wrote was poor, including 'and' and 'the'.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he in turn become a monster...
...And if you stare for too long into an abyss then the abyss stares back into you."
- Friederich Nietschze.

Phn'glui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'Lyeh Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!
Ia Cthulhu! Ia Dagon!

Random avatar

Reviews: 313
Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:51 pm
TylynRae says...

These lists make me so sad! Sure, people don't like some books, but it doesn't mean they're bad books! There are plenty of books that I agree are a bit of a sham, but other books really do have a lot of character, even if they aren't up our alley. Such as Arabian Nights, The Great Gatsby, and Pride and Prejudice. These books aren't necessarily something that we go out of our way to search for, but the writing styles are interesting and the view points enlightening of the times. Literature is literature, and we can read as much as we can and learn from it all to better ourselves and our own writing. Don't get me wrong, there are numerous books I wish I'd never picked up, but no matter what book I read, I learn something about how develop my writing style, And what to stay away from. Hope my view point enlightens a bit =]
TylynTyrannosaurus<3 (tydecker777)

The only way of knowing a person is to love them without hope.
— Walter Benjamin