z

Young Writers Society

Do you get attatched to your characters?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:05 pm
Fishr says...

Ha! I could shake hands with my characters, that's how alive they've become for me, so yes - attached. But I've had a decent amount of practice in detaching, thanks to non-fiction, so I can write these horrible scenes, watch my characters suffer, twitch, and still keep to their traits. It's after the scenes are finish when I feel like a shit, lol. I've actually felt my stomach clench a bit. Hey, no one ever said this hobby was simple. ;)

And I agree; death to a character can actually be a good thing, especially if they've suffered greatly. That's the worst, I think, watching a character suffer continuiously by your own fingertips. Just sucks. :x
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:11 pm
Areida says...

writingluver5 wrote:And yes, Ari, I've kinda fallen in love with Peter in a way. He's such a strong, quiet, awesome guy and you can't help falling in love with him. It kind of happened to me too in Pride and Prejudice. I kinda fell in love with Mr. Darcy :oops:. You know what i mean lol. Has that every happened to anyone else though?

Fallen in love with either your character or someone else's? Yeah, it happens to me every so often. Darcy's definitely one of my literary loves, but Francine Rivers is really good at creating guys that I swoon for. In her Mark of the Lion series alone, I was in love with Marcus, Atretes, and Theophilus. I woulda married any of 'em. :P

In The Four Princesses of Illyria (the novel I'm working on right now), I've got sort of a crush on Julian, the oldest girl's love interest. But the guy that we don't meet for a while, Michael, I absolutely adore. He's fairly awesome.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:16 am
Alteran says...

I always get attached. It's herd ya know cause you create a world in your mind full of characters. And you created their parents and their lives and experiences. I've only killed off one character and i cryed. It's upsetting. :cry:
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Elemental says...

Niamh wrote:I was wondering if any of you get attatched to your characters as well? I definitely do, and in my story, it has come to the point of where my favorite is killed off (and it is imperative to the story, otherwise, I wouldn't do it) but each time I try to write the scene, I pull up the word document and distract myself with other things, because I want to avoid writing that scene. I've already written it once, but I'm writing the second draft, and I don't want to write it again. I guess I'm rambling, but I just wanted to know if anyone else runs into the same problem.

Slainte.

-Niamh

I have the exact same problem. It seems that I have great problems killing off any of my characters because I like them all even the villains. It just makes me feel like that I'm killing a part of myself, and whenever I get to their death scene I divert my attention to editting or tweaking characters.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:13 pm
Myth says...

I like all my characters. I'm planning to kill off someone who actually wants to die so that will be a bit weird to write but it'll be the right thing to do.

There are a few characters who I don't like, they creep me out.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:57 pm
Dream Deep says...

A note! I was trying to write Cloudless last night and the more I wrote... the more I realized... that my guy was talking and acting more and more like Shan... and by the end of the Chapter I'm surprised the dude didn't have stars.

The CHAIR IS EATING MY BRAIN!

AHHHHHHHHH!!!

*runs screaming into a wall and is knocked out*

Yeah. :wink: Hyperness. What fun.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:34 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Hehe, I end up not being able to sleep 'cause I keep getting ideas and having to get up and write it down, then I go back to bed and get another idea... :?
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:46 pm
Poor Imp says...

-KayJuran- wrote:Hehe, I end up not being able to sleep 'cause I keep getting ideas and having to get up and write it down, then I go back to bed and get another idea... :?

Ah, I do exactly the same thing half the time... @_@'' It does inhibit good sleep, doesn't it? Genius always surfaces with sleep, subconscious less worried about practical... You see, 'tis why DD is a genius - deep dreams. ^_~
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

504 Reviews

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:52 pm
Dream Deep says...

Hah! (But then, true, dreaming deep is very handy... ^_^)

Love the sig, by the way, Imp. Livny is flattered... which is saying something, as usually he's too drunk to remember what he's said.

Rather, I am flattered, that the Poor Imp found Livny's little bit of lunacy sig-worthy. :wink:

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:33 pm
Wiggy says...

I agree heartily that DD is a genius...although she'll never admit it! ^_^
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

504 Reviews

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Dream Deep says...

Pish. ^_^ I see that I've completed my endeavor to brainwash you all... :wink:

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:34 am
Sohini says...

same here.

i get attached to my characters very much and i know why-i always base my characters on real peopls i know and i love (or hate in case of the bad guys)

i think it makes easier to know your characters from heart to write about them better.

but till now, i haven't killed any person (not even the bad guys) and i don't want to do it either. i think i want them to suffer worse things than dead.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

402 Reviews

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:08 pm
Wiggy says...

Fineena's dad is going to die in the book (oops-didn't mean to spoil it! :D) and that'll be hard for me to write about because she looooves her daddy. *awww*

You have successfully brainwashed me, DD. :D

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie

Got YWS?

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:09 am
Writersdomain says...

I am hopelessly attached to my characters.

Killing characters is painful. I had 'kind of kill' a character - more of make him disappear for 20 months - and I was in shock for the first few days, then sank into a day of depression and then finally finished the first part of my story where he dies in tears.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

402 Reviews

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:37 am
Wiggy says...

That's awful WD!!!!! But then again, at least you have created such believeable and emotional characters! Great job! :D

Got YWS?

The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin