z

Young Writers Society

Two stories at once a bad idea?

Random avatar

Reviews: 59
Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:42 am
R. J. Hoffman says...

I am had the exact same problem. its like a build up of creative juices and the damn wants to break. One pathway is to join a role playing site. that way you can use the idea but wont become to adicted to writing it because you are limited by the rate at which others add. a great site is. Fantasyrp.invisionzone.com.
The other way is to write a second side story. i chose this as a primary option. you can read what i started in my portfolio under cutting time. the key is to write what you want but avoid or not put so much effort into it that you feel a need to persist.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:03 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

I redo my first reply, and I'm going to say now that I know how you're feeling.

I MUST do that second story! BUT I'm supposed to be doing the first. GAH!

-Nods-.

First of all, weigh out your options. Are you starting a second story because you're tired of the old one? Well, that means you either a.)need to take some time off of Story A or b.)should scrap Story B if you're having to force yourself into finishing it- this is different than, say, a writer's block. If you still want to see that story become a book, then you're not having to force yourself to do it.

I say push one aside, preferably the one you have more done on it, and work on the second story until you don't want to do it anymore. Switch, if you can manage that. If you're going to go with this option make sure you have BOTH plots outlined and figured out.

The only reason why I'm working on Story B is because I needed to get it out of my system. This is based on me and my friends, some struggles and whatnot and I just needed to clear my head with it. Story A was more of an enjoyable thing, not as personal and deep as Story B [though it is still deep and personal, just not as much].

So yes. Even if I didn't answer your question, at least I answered mine, sort of. COme talk to me if you need further advice on this; it's easier coming from someone who's presently going through the same struggle.

--Seree.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:11 am
~Volant~ says...

Omg, the exact same thing happened to me! For the longest time! >.<

I'd work on two ideas at the same time. I do this a lot; it was the only thing that would cure me. I'd be working furtively on a novel, but with all the story ideas I had, I would start another and lose interest. I decided limiting me to one story was a bad idea; the ideas would only build and build and build until I exploded like a volcano, completely demolishing my first idea. Now I work on two at a time, with a heavy emphasis on the first idea. That way, when I get frustrated or get writer's block or shy away from a particularily dark scene coming up, I can work on the other idea for a little while. Then, when I finished the first idea, I had another one developed and ready to go. It was really nice.
Where are we going?

All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
— Jane Wagner