z

Young Writers Society

Does everyone else hate their own writing?

Do you like your own writing?

Yup
16%
No...
23%
It varies from piece to piece
48%
I'm not sure?
10%
What a pointless question
3%

Total votes : 61

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:44 pm
-Save-Ferris- says...

I don't know.

Looking back on this poem I got published yeah I'm proud of it and all but I don't like it much.

Sometimes if I write stuff that sounds far too conventional then yeah I'll think ewwww but in general I like my work.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:10 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I'm not sure?

I don't know. I tend to write better one-shots than long-stories, style-wise, because I experiment, but I don't like my poetry.

Clarification? I don't like my OLD poetry. xD
ohmeohmy

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:23 pm
Alainna says...

Ach.

Sometimes I look at what I've written and want to be physically sick. Other times I have no opinion and let others judge. And sometimes (VERY VERY rarely) I actually find my writing good-ish. But normally I just let those times wash over me because when you find your work anything better than good, then I believe that you are becoming complacent. There is always room for improvement.

So, I'll say it depends on what I write....

Alainna
xxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:34 pm
Fan says...

I think it's some sort of human phsycology thing. If you hate your writing (though it might be slightly unhealthy) it makes you strive to create a better piece. Though you should like what you've done at least once in a while unless you like wallowing in doubt.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:19 pm
Dream Deep says...

I don't often like what I write.

As a matter of fact, its a rare and celebration-worthy time when I do like what I write.

So. Apparently I need to work on my writerly self-esteem. ^_~

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:00 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

I bet someone's already said this before, but we all are our own worst critics. Some people are just a little harder on themselves than others.

I'm just as insecure as the next person, which is why I never answer any of those "if you were alone on an island..." questions if I could write on that hypothetical island.

XD

But I'm not, like, afraid that if I write some story down, later I might hate it or anything. That just seems a bit extreme.

What's just frustrating and insanely impossible for anyone is to wish that they can just write their story or whatever they have to say down on the paper and expect it to be perfect the first time.

We all wish that, though.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:30 pm
Fireweed says...

It definitely varies...

Like you said, I often find that whilst I'm writing, I get all swept up in it and excited about the piece and I think it's brilliant, and then I re-read it a few days later and realize that this is cliche and that's boring and I'm rambling there and using too many adjectives here, and think, "how did I ever think this had any kind of potential?!"

Yeah.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:25 pm
Wiggy says...

I try to remain neutral...as it happens, when I really, really love a piece that I've done, other people read it and go, "Eh." Which isn't good for the self esteem. XD

What Sam said. 8)

There's sometimes I'll absolutely love a piece, post it up, and people will either be like, "LOVED IT!!!!" or just "Meh." I like the first one better. :D
It's so hard not to be egotistic when you're writing!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:29 pm
Snoink says...

I like my writing, if only because I like my characters and anything with my characters is something awesome to me. But for my poetry, I tend to close my eyes and babble incessantly, just so I will not be able to read said junk.

But, as I consider myself a storywriter as opposed to a poet, I like my writing.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:37 pm
Black Ghost says...

Like Sam said, I'm much more in love with the actual plot and characters than what comes out in writing. But as for hating what I write, I wouldn't go that far.

Sure, I often cringe when I read over stuff, but then I silently remind myself that I'm one step closer to being a great writer by recognizes my weaknesess. And often I find that I enjoy one of my pieces more after I've forgotten about it for a few weeks or month, because then I'm not so critical of it.

MM

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:40 pm
Emerson says...

I go in flows.

I hate things while I am working on them especially if I don't enjoy it or it is difficult. I love things when they are done, especially if I get good comments ^_~

I'm moody.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:15 pm
Ava says...

Usually I'll kind of like it at first, then hate it so much I can't stand it when I look over it later. But even if I hate it, I'm always just a little proud that I'm one step closer to becoming a better writer.
"Don't worry, you're just as sane as I am..."

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:18 pm
flytodreams says...

I don't like/love my writing, and I don't dislike/hate my writing. I think it's okay, and could be a lot better.
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:28 pm
Rydia says...

I think it varies for me. Some pieces I like and some pieces I hate and every now and then I will actually write a piece that I love.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:29 pm
Evangelina says...

For me...it's rather strange. As I'm typing away, I think "YES! I have a masterpeice!"

but then I actually read it printed, and I'm like "Oh no..."
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

News is not a game show. You don't win a car if you happen to be right.
— John Oliver