z

Young Writers Society

Top 5 Best Books

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:04 pm
lexy says...

1. Handbags and Gladrags by Maggie Alderson. Chick lit a bit like the devil wears prada etc

2. Harry potter series! Jk is amazing in her imagination... who would have thought that her "wizardry words" would cause a phenomonen.

3. The other side of the story by Marian Keyes. Excellent story about 2 people trying to get their stories published and from the POV of them and a literary agent..... a great insight to how it all works in the publishing industry!!!!

4. Truly Madly Yours by Rachel Gibson. Another chick lit book..... about a girl whos stepdad commits suicide, leaves her a lot of valuable stuff in his will on the order that she stays put in that town for a year and not have a sexual relationship with his illigitamate very sexy son Nick who is her old flame!!! Ohhh the chemistry!

and finally
5. Written in thr stars by Sarah Ball. Kind of spooky book about three female flatmates (yeah its chick lit again) who go on a journey to find out there future!!!!! Good stuff :-)
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. - Peter O'Toole

236 Reviews

Reviews: 236
Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:08 pm
carelessaussie13 says...

In no particular order

Otherland series by Tad williams

Orson Scott Card's Ender and Bean series

The Wizard of the Grove by Tanya Huff

Myrren's Gift series by Fiona McIntosh

The Giver by Lois Lowry
“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” - Freya Stark

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:41 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

In no order:

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding

Storm Thief by Chris Wooding

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

The Naming by Alison Croggon (i'm still reading it, but it's great so far)

There are many more, but I can't think of them right now.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

34 Reviews

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:10 pm
Ani May Queen says...

In no order...except number one because those are indeed the best books in the history of forever.

1.The Farsala Trilogy by Hilari Bell Actually, anything by Hilari Bell is amazing, she's one of my favorite authors of all time, but these three books make me squeal every time I even think of them.

2.The Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld Again, just great author in general. I've read two other of his books too, and just purchased the first book in the Midnighters series.

3.The Haunting Of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding This author is also a god! I also read "Poison" and loved that, but I liked this one better.

4.The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas A great classic. I need to read the full version...

5.Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz This book literally made me hold my breath for half the book or more. And cry.
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality. - Jules de Gaultier

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:26 am
Wiggy says...

I read back on my other list and there are so many good books!!!! I could name at least 20 off the top of my head! But, if you insist...

Again, Bible tops all. :D

1. Gone with the Wind--Oh my GOSH this is THE best book! Scarlett and Rhett, Rhett and Scarlett, oy. *spins in a circle and collapses*

2. Pride and Prejudice--So classic, so poetic, so romantic, so Jane Austen. She, along with Mitchell, is my favorite author.

3. The Count of Monte Cristo--Ever since I saw the movie with Jim Cavaziel, I HAD to read the book. And look-I did, and it ends up being on my top 5!

4. Anna Karenina--Tolstoy is simply brilliant. He's so intriguing that you just can't put the book down-I actually haven't finished it because I had to return it to the library. But never fear, here I come library! XD

5. The Silver Chalice and The Robe--Two absolutely fantastic books that I can't bear to leave off of the list. They're both so good, so intriguing, and I read these books about 5-6 years ago. With all the classics I've read, I'm surprised they're still on. But I can't take them off!

*sighs and snuggles books* I love reading!
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:36 am
xtenx says...

Nate wrote:1. "Oh The Places You Go" by Dr. Suess: I remember buying this book the day that it came out (I was and remain a huge Dr. Suess fan) and must have read a zillion times over. It's a great book and it still holds a prominent place on my book shelf today.

My sister got me a copy of that for high school graduation, and I had never read it. I cried. It's so good though :) Dr. Suess is timeless- I love his work.

My top 5:

1. The Stranger
2. To Kill a Mockingbird
3. Crime and Punishment
4. Lord of the Rings (surprise)
5. Harry Potter (surprise again)
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

34 Reviews

Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:27 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

I'd like to add one to my list, though i'm not sure if it's allowed. Oh well.

The Sight by David Clement-Davies
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:44 pm
Ofour says...

Animal Farm - George Orwell

The Time Machine - H G Wells

The Gift - Alison Croggon

Schotts Original Miscellany - Ben Schott

Foundation and Earth - Isaac Asimov (or all the foundation series)
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:10 pm
Jules the jester says...

Well if i was forced to choose it has to be in this order.

Lord Of The Rings By J.R.R Tolkien - just timeless.

The First Chronicles Of Druss The Legend - The first David Gemmel Book I ever Read and after i finished it i went out and bought another four of his books.

Men At Arms By terry pratchett - Hilarious. I found it so funny. Chuckled all through english (i was reading it when were suppose to be reading some poem got a detention)

The Whole Belgariad series by David Eddings - my mum bought me this series for birthday. Loved it.

Dragonmaster by chris bunch - amazing. just finished teh whole series

Reviews: 2
Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:20 am
dittylicious says...

1. The Pigman by Paul Zindel

2. Shopgirl by Steve Martin

3. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

4. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

5. About a Boy by Nick Hornby

This was so hard to narrow down to these five, but these are books I've read more than once, and every time I just love them more. So yeah, I figured they would be good choices.
~*~Ditty~*~

"When we choose between reality and madness/It's either sadness or euphoria." -Billy Joel

http://dittylicious.blogspot.com

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:24 pm
Vasticity says...

In no order whatsoever,

Seventh Son
The Graveyard book
Coraline
The House of Dies Drear
I don't know if Graphic novels count, but if they do, Watchmen 8)
And the angel said unto him, “stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself.” But lo, he could not stop, for the angel was hitting him with his own hands.

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:57 pm
Lykaios says...

Not really an order, and I can think of loads more books I could put here, but alas, these ones came to mind first as my more recently enjoyed reads. :)

1. Small Island - Andrea Levy
2. The Time Traveller's Wife - I forgot.
3. The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
4. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
5. Inkdeath (book 3 of the Inkheart trilogy) - Cornelia Funke.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:12 am
RedBird says...

Hmmm, let's see...

In no real order:

1. All of Megan Whalen Turner's books.
2. The Edge Chronicles, by Paul Stewart, Chris Riddel
3. The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman
4. The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
5. All of Shakespeare

And because I can't resist...

6. Most of Orson Scott Card's books. Loved every single one except for Children of the Mind.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 am
Elinor says...

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Do I even need to elaborate on this one? Collins is a fantastic author, and the way she uses present-tense is so well done. She took old mythology and mixed it with science fiction, creating a wholly original idea. Even though the ending seemed obvious, she surprised us with a creative ending leaving us thirsting for more. Catching Fire was still amazing, but It didn't have the same excitement that The Hunger Games did, considering that the world wasn't new to us anymore.

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.

I absolutely adore this book! It was the one that first got me into science fiction. I can relate to Tally so well. You never what was going to happened, but you were satisifed with whatever happened. I finished the whole trilogy in a week. The idea is so amazing and original, but yet it reflects our current society so much. Even though it was not intended as so, you can look and see a cautionary tale. I can't really explain why I like it so much, but trust me, it's amazing.

Bone by Jeff Smith

I might be cheating here, considering it's a graphic novel, but it doesn't matter. This book is filled with everything - all the drama, action and romance of a Tolkien novel - but again, because it's comics, it has that edge of comic relief. The two are perfectly balanced, and the art is just amazing.

I also enjoy Harry Potter and the Lord of The Rings, but those books were just OK to me. The three above are the ones that really stick out, and the ones that I will most likely remember forever.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:31 pm
Lava says...

Arrgh, I hate choosing. I'll probably pick from what pops in my head.So here's mine, in no particular order.

1. Catcher In the Rye. (Salinger)
2. Gift (Pretty much the entire series) (Allison Croggon)
3. Gift of Rain (I forget, by who.)
4. Chocolat (Joanne Harris)
5. Atonement (Ian McEwan)

Edit:
Some more I couldn't resist to add.
Book Thief (Marcus Zusak), Pendragon series, The Lies of Locke Lamora (Again, I don't remember who wrote it.) To kill a mocking Bird (Harper Lee), Artemis Fowl (till the 4th)
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots; Her coat is one of the tabby kind,with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
— T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats