z

Young Writers Society

Trouble on putting ideas to paper

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:04 pm
Extraterrestial says...

hi i have got a pretty original idea well thats what i think anyway. It's the best i can come up with. But i get ideas, but the problem is i just cant seem to write them, any tips. Also i have a huge obstical which i cant seem to get around. struggling to start my story with a good beggining. any suggestions

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:00 am
Avens Dolor says...

Just get the ideas written. Don't worry about how the prose sounds, or about how good it is. At the start, it's purely the concept that matters--the rest comes through practice and revision.

Correct capitalization, punctuation, and general grammar is encouraged. ;)

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:29 am
chocoholic says...

Are you having trouble writing the actual story? Often that's hard. What I do is sit down with a piece of paper and just scribble notes down. When nothing i in your head, doodle. I just do random lines on the page, but you might be more artistically gifted then me.

So, when a small idea, a character, theme, phrase, etc. comes into your mind, just jot it down. When that's all done, make a brief plan and then hopefully you'll be able to write it properly!

The important thing is to not sit at your computer thinking 'I must right'. Relax and let it come to you on paper first, that should make it easier.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:47 pm
xxfourthelement says...

When I have a hard time getting things out and on paper, I skip the beginning.

That might sound a little odd, but if I just write the part I feel inspired to write, I sort of feel able to work my way around any writer's block that I have.

Like Avens Dolor, I recommend using proper grammar. :) That definitely makes you feel more writer-y.

Another thing you might try is taking down notes. It doesn't work very well for me, but it does work for others. When you get ideas, write down the idea itself - NOT IN STORY FORMAT. If you take notes the way you might when you're in class, then you can piece it together later the way you would write a report or an essay.
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:57 pm
Lilith says...

I find that the best way to get started with your beginning, is to write your ending. Or even writing a epilogue to examine how it will all wrap up. Then, sit down and ask yourself the Whats? and Whys? and Hows? that have to occure to get to that ending. Then just let your imagination take over. When your finished, things will undoubtably change but it just means the idea developed.

good luck.
Duffy -- "Watch out for Jesse, he wants what he can't have."
Emily -- "Oh boy, he can have me."
Duffy -- "Figures..."

In short, Mrs. Pontellier was beginning to realize her position in the universe as a human being, and to recognize her relations as an individual to the world within and about her.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening