z

Young Writers Society

Help

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:14 pm
Kelsi222 says...

Hey there. I'm looking for some help to start off a book well a short story that I am writing, I have most of it planned out but its the opening I am having trouble with. I am not going to say my whole plot out here, so if there is anyone out there who would like to take the time and listen to my idea and help me come up with a beging for my story, it would be much apprechied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks luvs ya'll =)
- Kelsi222

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:32 pm
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

The beginning, eh? Could you be more... specific? Are you struggling with first events in general, or just things like coming up with a good hook, specific wording, and stuff like that?

If the former, some more information on the plot of your story would be helpful, so I can give you some ideas. If the latter... well, I'm not too good with beginnings myself, but keep in mind that it doesn't have to be perfect the first time. I'd advise that you... just start it in a way that feels right, if that makes any sense, and know you can always go back and change it later. Personally, that's what I'm banking on... my own story feels to me like it has a rather weak, bland opening, and I'm planning to go back and get a really nice opening sentence and such-- but I wasn't going to worry over that while I was just staring out.

In my opinion, in the rough draft it's best to just get all your thoughts down while you can. It isn't final-- if there's something wrong with the rough draft, it's not the end of the world. you can change anything you want, even a sloppy beginning, but first, you've got to get the story down.

...keep in mind though, that I'm in no way the defining expert on this subject-- In fact, I'm rather amateurish myself. ^_^()
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:48 pm
Teague says...

You can always do what I do when I write articles for Newspaper: put --INTRO HERE-- at the top in giant letters and come back to it later. xD

Like the lovely Zankoku said, it doesn't have to be perfect this shot around. Just come up with a basic idea, put it into words, and put it together! You can post it here on YWS in the appropriate forum and get help with it. ;)

Srsly. For my novel, it took about eighteen tries to settle on a beginning I was happy with. Patience is a virtue, my friend. ^^

-Saint Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:

P.S. Hi! Welcome to YWS!
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:50 am
Kelsi222 says...

Hey guys! Thanks for that good advise from the both of you!! I really apprechited it!

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:06 am
~Volant~ says...

Beginnings. ugh. if you look at my word files, they'll say, "The Landing", "The Landing, beginning", "The Landing, beginininining", "The Landing, Final Attempt", "The Landing, another final attempt", "Okay, seriously, one last try on The Landing", and "aaaaaaaaaaThe Landing". Starting something is frustrating.

I suggest starting waking up at some ungodly hour in the morning and sitting down to write before you have time to wake up. It's okay if you're still in a comma when you're writing. However, I warn you, it may be horrible that late at night. If it makes you feel better, put a password on that piece, though I strongly suggest that you write it down. You probably won't be concious when you create your password. Lol!

Then come back to it the next day. It will suck, but you'll have something to work off of. you can edit like crazy all you want now and be a perfectionist if you want.

I hope that helped.
Where are we going?

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)