z

Young Writers Society

Creating Titles/Plots Seperately.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:46 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Just wondering, 'cause it's something I've been doing recently.

I like to have titles that are catchy, or play with words, or just sound good. If I hear a word or a phrase that sounds like it'd fit the job, I write it down before I forget it, and I now have a list of various titles on MS Word.

The funny thing is... most of the various plot ideas that I have don't actually go with any of the titles in my list.

So! Sometimes, if I'm really stuck for plot ideas, or I just feel like all of the ones that I have are going nowhere, I pick a title and try and think up a plot for it, rather than the other way around. That's actually what I'm doing for my current story, although the title no longer fits, which is rather interesting...

Anyway, who else does this, and how do you do it? Had any fun experiences? Also, got any titles you'd like to share with the rest of us?
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:42 pm
Black Ghost says...

I do that sometimes, actually! See, for my story I wanted to call it "The Oil Mark" because it just sounded cool to me, but it didn't fit at all into it. Then I tried to shape the story around the title and now it's a more interesting plot. I think...

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:10 am
Myth says...

I've never done this before until my recent one. I was brainstorming for a new short historical piece and came up with the name The Poorly Kept Girl. I thought that was the best title in the world, and was so pleased with it that I didn't even begin to think what the plot was or why this girl was poorly kept.

Now I'm not so sure the title fits or the plot, though I haven't tried hard enough.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:20 am
Poor Imp says...

I've done it, now and then without a conscious thought, I think. o0' Though I don't collect titles like Kay. I tend to collect names without characters rather than titles sans plot.

And you're right about Poorly Kept Girl, Myth--brilliant title. I can't quite imagine what it it would be about; it seems like it could be any number of things, all with a sad, sort of threadbare sound. ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:48 am
tinny says...

I only ever did that once, and it went horribly wrong for me, so I've decided to stick with having my titleless stories-I can never think of any!

I do the same thing Imp! I hoarde characterless names and stick them into a little notebook for safe-keeping ^^
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

820 Reviews

Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:04 am
Myth says...

Poor Imp wrote:And you're right about Poorly Kept Girl, Myth--brilliant title. I can't quite imagine what it it would be about; it seems like it could be any number of things, all with a sad, sort of threadbare sound. ^_^

That's exactly what I was thinking, fortunately this doesn't involve death but it is meant to be sad. I think.

'...'

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:29 am
Sam says...

Ooh, that is a good title...

Usually, I do this with chapter or section titles- I don't write enough different things to have experience. :wink:

When I get them, though, they're completely ripped off of lines from other authors, for example: "Summer Soldiers and Sunshine Patriots" (Thomas Paine), "Genius in Soiled White" (Upton Sinclair, whose name was also used for one of my characters :P) , "Conquer We Must" (Francis Scott Key)...you can sort of guess the rest. XD Hooray for classics!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:06 pm
Icaruss says...

I usually have the story come first, and then add a title. Right now, I'm using the title COLORS, which each narrator's section having a color as a title. So, the violent one is RED. The criminal is BLACK (that sounded racist). The womanizer is PINK. And the calm one, which minds his own business, doesn't do any drugs, and has a job is WHITE.

So, I'm happy.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

324 Reviews

Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:08 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Icaruss -- that sounds like a pretty cool way of doing it. Sort of symbolic.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:17 pm
Snoink says...

I... come up with a plot. I actually sort of suck at titles. Until I can get real characters (or real in my mind) to identify with, I'm totally lost. So there!

I think I have two titles though...

Death to Cheese -- probably a short story? :P

Too Happy to be Sober -- a country song, perhaps?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

324 Reviews

Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:24 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Snoink -- I like that last one... sounds fun!

Thing is, with me, sometimes I hear something that just sounds so good for a title, I have to write it down...

I think I have about seven at the moment. (roughly)

820 Reviews

Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:55 am
Myth says...

Snoink wrote:Too Happy to be Sober -- a country song, perhaps?

I also like that title.

'...'

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:43 am
Mr. Everyone says...

I have found that oxy-morons are very useful for interesting topiced stories for

1. They make the reader think, and say,"wait a minute."
2. They catch the reader's eye, and make them want to see what the story is.
3. They "can" make the reader laugh and laughing is always good.
4. Oxy-morons are fun to think of.

Or you can use very extraordinary titles,(e.g. pink penguins with pens!), they do they same things, and arent hard to think of, for the average discussion topic.

You can also use reverse psychotic titles (e.g. Don't Read this), because they also do the same things, usually more effectively, but almost as hard to think of as the oxy-morons...

keep writing guys and =) happy reading (=
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
— Albert Pines