z

Young Writers Society

I have an idea and I need to develop it.

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:24 pm
lexy says...

I want to write a story about a guy who has a childhood memory that is the trauma of his life. Its why he is the quirky, wierd character that he is and I need major help. Where shall I set it?????
In what era???
In what country????
HELP HELP HELP.
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. - Peter O'Toole

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:40 pm
Snoink says...

What's the memory? Maybe the traumatic aspect might help you set where it is. For example, if the traumatic memory was not getting straight A's, that would limit your character into places where education is abundant.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:43 pm
Swires says...

Well we cant decide that you can. Answer your questions.

What era would best fit this basic idea? My view is in the modern day 1st world because there is less focus upon the world and the story revolves around a memory instead of the world or magic etc...

COuntry? Answered above

As Snoink said. Knowing the memory would be helpful.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:56 pm
Shafter says...

Too general! You have to narrow it down before you do anything.
I'd suggest developing the character before you develop the plot, then the plot will flow naturally from the character you've created.
Check out "Stein on Writing" or "How to Grow a Novel" by Sol Stein. V-e-r-y helpful with plots and such.
Good luck!
Cheers!
~Shafter
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus