z

Young Writers Society

starting off the plot

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:59 pm
Max McKali says...

alright, so i have the main plot pretty much worked out, but i can't decide what would be more appealing to a reader. the story takes place in a fantasy-world with good/evil, swords, some magic...all that good stuff. but i really wanted to add a twist, you know, make it unique instead of just like all the fantasy books i come across these days. i was thinking of starting it off in this world, all modern and everything and then the main character ends up being reborn in the other world closer to the end of book 1. (there would have to be 2 books if i did it this way). i have it all worked out how that would work and it's fairly interesting in my opinion, but idk what a reader would think. is it too neverending storyish? would it be better if i went with the flow and wrote the whole thing in the fantasy setting?
"All for one and one for all- that is our motto, is it not?"

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:29 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

Your idea has some similarities to a story I've been trying to work out, if only in the vaugest sense. With the never ending story thing, you might want to try to avoid that. The reborn in a fantasy world should be closer to a freak occurance. If he is continuosly reborn every time he dies, the reader won't have as much feeling for him as it doesn't matter if he dies or not. If it's a one time occurance, you're probably good. (Or were you refering to the movie The Never Ending Story? In that case I don't know the similarities.)

With the "reborn" part, being at the end of book 1, you better make that first book interesting, and see if you can't slip in some subtle foreshadowing and implications of the fantasy world to come. Also, and I'm sure you've already thought about this but I'm bringing it up anyway, with him being born again you need to make sure there is a strong connection to the first book, like memories. Otherwise, they'll just be two completely separate stories. But it sounds like you've already had at least some thought into that.

I'd start this idea and see where it goes. Since I'm doing a story that involves a similar concept, perhaps we can swap notes. If you're interested, just PM me. So, take the idea for a spin, see if it still looks good on paper, and share what you got here when you're ready. Just my opinion.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:00 pm
Snoink says...

Er... who are your characters?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:14 pm
Max McKali says...

well, the main character is a girl, currently under the name of clare (until i find something better). i'll give you a summary:

Although Clare is growing older, she finds that her imagination has fallen behind. At the age of sixteen, Clare is discovering that, to her horror, all her dreams are no more than fantasies. But despite her growing depression, Clare is unwilling to cut off her constantly active imagination. The world around Clare begins to spiral into misfortune and she feels herself spending more and more time in the refuge of her fantastical life. But when her world of fantasies begins to collide with the reality around her, Clare realizes that her "fantasies" may not have been the mere results of her imagination. After meeting several people she's sure she's met before, Clare is faced with the decision of which world she will make her name in.

i can't decide whether i'd want Clare to actually go into the fantastical world, or whether to just leave it as a psychological thing. i have the two stories worked out, but i have yet to decide whether to mesh them together. advice?
"All for one and one for all- that is our motto, is it not?"

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:03 am
Roaming Shadow says...

Hey, I've meshed ideas together. And your plotline is a lot different than mine is. Mine involves spiritual separation during comatose. Funny how you can have two completely different stories with the same very basic storyline. Personally, I'm not really sure where to go with yours. honestly, you've already a fair amount of the early work done as far as I know. Both ways could work. Or mesh.

So, uh, I really can't help you on where to go. In the end, I think you'll just have to figure that one out yourself. But, I'll think about it a bit and get back to you later. Just start (since it sounds like they all start in the same place) and see what just feels right to you. That's what I often end up doing.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:06 pm
lexy says...

make her dreams come true!!!!
Mess with her a bit I mean like start it in our lifetime and make her go to the future and/or the past. Somehow..... Ohhh I want to read your work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. - Peter O'Toole

'Like' and 'equal' are two entirely different things.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time