z

Young Writers Society

Favorite poets...?

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:58 pm
EtCetera says...

Let's see, "Hope Is Peace"... Your choice of poet does not seem to meld very well with your chosen name...

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:40 pm
perdido says...

David Berman, Bob Hicock, Federico Garcia Lorca, James Tate, Ted Kooser, others
my webcomic debuts eventually
http://vanmen.tumblr.com/
my blog updated occasionally
http://unmagnificent.wordpress.com/

Random avatar

Reviews: 83
Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:52 am
danipower0204 says...

...ahem...does Marshall Mathers count as a poet? :P
I personally like Shakespeare.

I don't read much poetry. I love Spoken Word Poetry though.
Check out: http://www.planetsplash.com/
Providing News, Great Ideas, and More

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:25 am
PollarBear14 says...

Lewis Carroll is brilliant when it comes to humorous poems I think. I also love Robert Frost, Shakespeare, Dylan Thomas and T.S. Elliot.

I dislike Anon.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:07 am
UrbanNomad says...

My favourite poet is James K. Baxter from New Zealand. My most disliked poet is myself on a bad day.

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:01 am
wewinwelose says...

My favorite poet by far is Emily Dickinson. She's the one that inspired me to be a poet in the first place, and much of my work is merely an attempt to copy her style.
A very close second, however, is Ellen Hopkins. I know most people don't see her as a "poet" per-say, but a novelist, but technically she writes epic poetry. Her poetry is beautiful and elegant, and I've been trying to "copy" her style for years without success. Her work is just completely brilliant.
I hate Edgar Allen Poe. I find his rhyming immature (meaning undeveloped), his meters terrible, and frankly, his poetry is hard to relate too. I feel as though that style of writing is forced, and while much of it is actually very good, the only parts that I find exceptional are the poems that look as though they could've been written by Dickinson.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.~Groucho Marx

I have a passion for all things literary, and I love to review the work of others :). PM me with a link and I'd love to review for you too!

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:09 pm
View Likes
dogs says...

Oh definitely Edgar Allen Poe. The best poetry i've ever read! He's not a modernist or anything but I love his work sooo much. Especially "The Raven". I loved "The Raven" so much i even memorized it for english class. all 107 lines. such a fantastic piece!
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:22 pm
Roach says...

Personally, I think T.S. Eliot is just completely brilliant, but there are a lot of truly great poets out there and half of them do not receive the recognition they deserve. It's a pity, really! As for my least favorite poet, that would most certainly be myself - I can't write a good piece of poetry to save my life. Sad, isn't it?
"There was John and Jane and Betsy
eating bugs and drinking Pepsi,
dancing jigs up on the fiddle,
up the sides and down the middle."
- Erland & The Carnival

Got YWS?

662 Reviews

Reviews: 662
Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:47 am
dogs says...

Oh definitely Edgar Allen Poe. The best poetry i've ever read! He's not a modernist or anything but I love his work sooo much. Especially "The Raven". I loved "The Raven" so much i even memorized it for english class. all 107 lines. such a fantastic piece! Although T.S Elliot comes in on a close second.
Be a cool kid and do my Short Story Contest! viewtopic.php?f=404&t=97148&p=1122883#p1122883

"Quoth the Raven. Nevermore" - Edgar Allan Poe

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:32 am
Flower~Child says...

Obviously Poe is my favorite of all of them. He inspires my dark style of poetry, he is so real and I love that about him. E.E Cummings is good to though.
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:10 pm
AlfredSymon says...

William Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde and Edgar Allan Poe line my fave list. They are like, the best classicists. I also adore works by Shell Silverstein, Robert Frost and Adam Young.
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:01 pm
Stori says...

Definitely Brian Jacques, both for his poems and poetic prose. I always look forward to reading his descriptions of Redwall Abbey. I like Emily Dickinson too- in particular "I'm Nobody". Also Tolkien.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:17 pm
Annapurna says...

Favorite poet? hmm..... would have to be Sylvia Plath or maybe Keats? Plus I've just returned from visiting Robert Brooks Museum in Grantchester, where he lived! It's so beautiful there, that place makes you want to be a poet! :D

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 am
AlfredSymon says...

Edgar Allan Poe and William Shakespeare line my bookshelves. Angelou, Kilmer, Wilde and Frost, too, of course! In terms of lyrical poetry, though, Adam Young is my hero!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:55 am
indieeloise says...

Whitman all the way, man. My school library has a 70+ years old copy of Leaves of Grass, and I'm still trying to figure out a way to either convince the librarian to let me have it (I'm the only one who checks it out anyway) or somehow, conveniently "lose" it and pay whatever I have to pay for that treasure. I like Shinji Moon on Tumblr. Ray Lamontagne and Justin Vernon are by far my favorite lyrical poets.

Robert Frost is a major thumbs down on my part. His poetry is just too vanilla and Hallmark card-ish.
"My hobbies include editing my life story, hiding behind metaphors, and trying to convince my shadows that I am someone worth following." - Rudy Francisco

It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman