Young Writers Society

Hope is a thing with feathers

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:40 am
Snoink says...

viewpoetry.php?id=212

I adore this poem. The main metaphor here is hope as a bird, found in every land, singing in tune and clearly through any storm or problem that comes across it. And it keeps everybody warm with its soft downy feathers and never stops. Yet, it won't ever ask for anything... it'll continue on forever.

I was introduced to this poem by Caligula, actually, because she used this poem to describe one my characters. And it basically just reminds me of all the people in my life who have helped me, yet have never asked for anything in return because they loved me and that's just what they wanted to do. And some of those people are gone and some of those people still never know how much they mean to me, and I doubt they ever will. But it reminds me of them anyway.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:45 am
thewritingdoc says...

It's a sweet, little, inspirational piece.
    I'd rather write about this world than live in it
    and I'd rather play music all day
    and read and wander around bookstores
    and watch humans
    but not be one of them.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:14 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

It is a nice poem-- though Emily Dickinson rhymed soul with all, and I despise half-rhymes.
Not to be a know-it-all, but it's called Hope is the thing with feathers.

And sweetest—in the Gale—is heard—
And sore must be the storm—
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm—

That was my favorite stanza.
A very cute, warm little poem. I want to snuggle up with it.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:28 pm
MKate says...

I love Emily Dickinson and nearly all her poems. This one in particular is tacked onto my wall :)

~Mel
"Don't say 'the old lady screamed'- bring her on and let her scream." -Mark Twain

Writing is like traveling- you never know what's going to happen until you get there.

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson