2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:55 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Discussion Thread: viewtopic.php?f=200&t=94907

The Storybook Premise

It is the year 2486 and Earth is not how you remember it. You are all that is left of a failed mission to cultivate the planet Mars and now you’re returning home. You’ve been gone for twenty years. The youngest of you were babes in arms before you left and the oldest are feeling your age. You’re looking forward to a quiet retirement back on solid ground.

But as I said, nothing is as you left it. Eight years ago you lost all communication with Earth but the spaceship only had enough fuel to make one return journey. The project was still in its youth and looking promising so you stayed and lived an isolated existence. But it got harder. The red planet’s soil was difficult to dig through and plants were too slow and not nourishing enough. Your supplies ran low. Then a year ago a foreign illness attacked your crew and you were forced to save those who weren’t infected and retreat.

You made it back to planet Earth feeling disappointed and worried over the possibility that you might have brought the disease with you. But when you arrive, there are no people. You land in America and find everywhere abandoned. You try the radio and all you get is static. You turn on the television but nothing.

What has happened since you left and are you truly the only humans left? Let’s find out.

Rules

-Mild swearing is fine but I don't want to see the c word anywhere and be sensible with it. If your dialogue is more swearing than not, I'm going to come after you with a bar of soap.
-Posts should be at least two paragraphs long.
-Only post once per day. Give us slower folks a chance to keep up ^^
-The plot is controlled by everyone. Go crazy. Maybe this will be a zombie story or maybe a science fiction. Maybe a conspiracy, I don't know. The only rule is read what everyone else has posted and build off of that. Do not disregard anyone's posts. If someone says a flying dinosaur swooped in, then there'd better be a flying dinosaur in your post. Unless your character is blind, then I can forgive them missing a flying dinosaur.
-Have fun. Or else.

Characters

1. Zai Holtzclaw played by Rydia
2. Dr. Gerald Frobisher played by Skorpionne
3. Elaine Ruderson played by noninjapresent
4. Captain Zera Holtzclaw played by Lumi
5. Loesia DuCimache owned by PenguinAttack, but NPC
6. Alec Kingsley played by LunaHalfLacy
7. Chris Collins played by SidereaAquila
8. Male reserved for Shadow98

Alright so a few people already have characters because they attended the last storybook workshop. And some of us used the coin game to decide who our characters were. This is optional! But if you want to, flip a coin. Heads is a boy, tails is a girl. Flip again. Heads is old, tails is young. It's as simple as that, then away you go.

Character Profile

Write your profile however you want to, but if you're new or like to have a template, here you go:

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] (Anyone 19 and under will have been born either on the ship or on Mars)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Job/ Profession:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Family:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]

[b]Strengths and Weaknesses:[/b]
[b]Likes and Dislikes:[/b]
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:59 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

What’s your name then?
Well if you must know, my ma named me Zai. Zai Holtzclaw, guess that’s what happens when you’re born in space. I mean it’s alright but I’ve read through those books they brought with us and there are no Zais. It isn’t really a name. What are the Earth kids going to think of me?

Ah, and how old are you Zai?
I’m twenty-one or thereabouts. Our days are different on Mars so it’s hard to keep the old calendar and I don’t much care. Maybe I’m younger, maybe older but as far as I’m telling you, I’m twenty-one. Apparently that’s the legal drinking age. *winks*

And you’re uh- a boy, yes? I mean obviously you are but it’s for the database and...
I guess you have to ask that question with a name like mine. Earth it man, we’re tight. You’re right of course, I’m a boy - did you want to check? I mean, if it’s for the database *smirk*

No, no, that’s fine. Alright, how would you describe yourself?
I’m good looking I think. I mean how can I know if I’m good looking or not? It isn’t like there are a lot of people to judge myself against. I’m not fat though; apparently people on Earth are fat. We don’t have much food so... yeah. I’m not fat. Uh- oh my hair? It’s blonde. My eyes are blue. My skin is pale, guess I’m a Martian, baby.

Okay and who is the real you? What’s it like growing up on Mars?
Well I don’t know, what’s it like growing up on Earth? Hah, got you there haven’t I? Planting is fun I guess, I like that much better than reaping. I like reading the old books and... and I think about Earth a lot, okay? What there will be, how it will look. I like to draw pictures of it in the dirt but it’s never quite right. The dirt there isn’t even red, it’s brown. We brought some with us, with the original plants. It’s so soft and... beautiful. I think of Earth like that as well: soft. The winds can be so harsh here and it’s cold most of the time and it’s hard. There’s always so much work to do and all for nothing, nothing ever grows. It’s hard okay? How would you feel growing up with a hard-ass for your mother, on the wrong planet, yeah? *Sighs* Wait, forget it. Mars is great, blah blah. Such a shame we had to come back but I’m sure it will work better next time; quote me on that, yeah?

What do you think of the other young people then? It must have been nice to grow up with two pretty young girls for your companions?
Elaine and Loesia? Yeah, they’re alright I guess. Loesia is better at the sand drawings than me, she’s really good and Elaine is okay, she’s like so quiet though. I mean... it’s lonely on Mars. People don’t seem to talk much and when they do, it feels like the air is sucking up your words and taking them away. I don’t know if that’s worse or the silence. The silence is deafening.

One last question, it must be ‘Earth’ - that’s how you used it isn’t it? ‘Earth’ - I like that. So, it must be cool being the captain’s son?
The captain is my mother, I am the captain’s son. Not that she acts like it. I have to do chores just like everyone else and she’s a stiff board my ma. (I know, where on Earth did I hear such language? We’re not on Earth now, ma.*grins* Yeah, I guess it’s Earth though. I mean, it’s like I’m that baby, the one everyone has been waiting to meet. It’s weird. It feels like I’ve been waiting my whole life to meet them too.

Spoiler! :
Race: Martian
Sexual Preference: Martians
Allegiance: Mars
Writing Gooder

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:07 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Captain Zera Holtzclaw

Appearance
Spoiler! :
Strong, sturdy build with a military gait to match. She carries herself very practically, giving the impression that every movement, every breath is premeditated. Zera rarely smiles, and her face constantly shows how hard the mission actually failed. She has very short graying-blonde hair and blue eyes that only accent the gray in her hair.

Personality
Spoiler! :
Before the launch of the Inhabit Mars! movement, Zera was a very ambitious, starry-eyed idealist who had the brightest dreams of a peaceful tomorrow with the stars; however, as time passed, as did failures on Mars, her persona began to darken, harden into what she is now. Most folks in the missions team say that naming her child Zai was the last frivolous thing Zera ever did. And they are right.

History
Spoiler! :
Zera entered the United States Air Force straight out of high school at age 18. She rose through the ranks without much effort--though some say she did so on her back--and, after a while, became serious about her work after seeing action in battle. Deciding that the future among the planets would be brighter than one with the people on Earth, she took intensive training as a space cadet, and eventually was branded with a mission for cultivation work on Mars. When 80% of the population had gone out, Zera demanded an evacuation. Later on, during the journey home, Zera found herself with a mysterious fever, leaving her thoughts to run to maddening conclusions. She has yet to admit anything to her crew members.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:43 pm
noninjaes says...

I am so in! :D

Name: Elaine Ruderson

Appearance: Choppy shoulder length light brown hair, light blue eyes, and almost perfect, white skin. 5’9, and skinny from malnutrition. Elaine prefers brightly coloured matches of leggings and halter tops as her optimal outfit. If it’s cold, a white cardigan is also added.

Personality: Annoyingly optimistic and always trying to make everyone laugh. Though, 9/10 times, her jokes aren’t very funny. She loves animals even though the only ones she has ever seen in real life are the withering livestock animals on the failed Mars farms. Elaine also makes a good friend as she is always concerned about others.

History: Elaine arrived with her now dead mother on Mars when she was too young to remember Earth. All her memories consist of Mars, the most prominent being her mother’s tragic death.

Strengths and Weaknesses: Elaine is usually good at problem solving and verbal debates, though she can still barely utter a sentence around Zai. Though, if you ask her to go pick some veggies, she’ll throw quite the immature fit even though she hates being hungry. She also sucks at following orders and always prefers to do things her own way, even if it’s harder.

Likes and Dislikes: Elaine loves animals, writing in her secret diary about her crush on Zai, and entertaining herself by playing solitaire with an pack of Earth Playing Cards. She hates being hungry, intense physical labour, and has a dislike towards those who don’t laugh at her jokes (except Zai).
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:47 am
Chickensandwitch says...

mayeth I reserve a male slot, please? I'll have the profile up soon.

Reviews: 4
Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:14 am
SidereaAquila says...

Name, please.
Chris Collins. Lieutenant Chris Collins.

Uh...you do know that "Chris" is a guy's name, right?
Yeah, I know. You got a problem with that? It's short for Christina, if you must know.

And how old are you?
23 Earth years, 11 Mars years. Doesn't sound nearly as good as 23.

That's an interesting outfit you've got on.
Why, thank you! *chuckles* I usually go for a tomboy look. The blonde ponytail is kind of girlish, I know, but a button-up shirt and cargo shorts? Those are guy staples. And...I guess I kind of have a boyish face, you know? A little more angular than normal. ...Oh, you need database stuff? Okay. I'm five feet eight inches, about a hundred twenty pounds, fair skin, blonde hair, hazel eyes...anything else?

Tell me about your childhood.
What is that going to do for your database? *sighs* ...I was raised on space movies and shuttle rides with Dad. I never really knew my mom; she wasn't around too much...but from what Dad says, that may be a good thing. Heh. ...I don't know...Dad was nice...he let me fly all the time...all sorts of spacecraft, too. I really hope he didn't get in trouble for that... But yeah, that's about it. Flying...and sports, too. We played a lot of sports. Flying was the big thing...good thing, too, because once that infection started spreading... *shrugs*

You're a lieutenant?
Yep. I'm a test pilot for the Mars Air Guard. Awesome job--love it--it does have its hazards, though. Not three months ago, I broke a couple ribs...you can actually still feel the bumps. Want to?

No, thank you. Ah...describe yourself in one sentence.
Just one? Man...uh... I guess I'm your typical go-get-em out-of-his-mind flyboy. I have been called crazy...and that's probably a pretty accurate description...but I like that stuff. I like pushing things, I like flying by the seat of my pants. ...No pun intended.

I know this is personal, but...got any crushes?
Dude. Seriously? I'm not the type of person who goes chasing after guys. I've had guys chase after me, but never the reverse.

One more question. What are your thoughts on Earth?
I've heard mixed reviews. *chuckles* I guess I'll have to wait and see. I've heard the sky's a prettier color...but then again, I've heard the people are all jerks, so...you never know.
Skittles: Taste the Spectrum

LIZARD!!!!!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:44 am
Rydia says...

Of course Chickensandwich :) and I love your profile, Siderea!
Writing Gooder

Reviews: 0
Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:37 pm
View Likes
LunaHalfLacy says...

Spoiler! :
Um, that was me asking for a spot. I don't know how I managed to do that :P Anyways...

What is your name?

My name is Alec Kingsley, sir.

And how old are you, Mr. Kingsley?

I am twenty-five, sir.

You really don't need to call me sir. So, how would you describe yourself?

Huh?

Your appearance, Mr. Kingsley.

Oh! Um, I don't know. I guess I'm pretty average sized, with short brown hair and brown eyes. Not terribly exciting. *Rubs chin* I always have stubble - my beard grows too fast. My mom always said that I have the handsommest smile in the whole town. Of course, she's my mom. Everyone says it's real easy read my expression, that I don't need to say anything because my face gives away everything I'm feeling. I hate it, but at least I'm not tempted to lie.

How nice. And what about your style?

*blank look* Erm, I'm not sure. I had to work outside a lot to plant and stuff, which doesn't leave room for a lot of exciting clothes. That's okay; I like to just wear button-down shirts and the like. Sometimes I wear a cowboy hat, and I used to have a baseball cap but I lost it.

All right, how about your personality? And your childhood?

... I don't talk a lot. I never had a lot of friends, and now most of them are dead. The people I'm flying back to earth with, I don't really know them except for their names.
I think I was born on Earth. Maybe on the ship. Either way, my first memories are of cultivating Mars. I had my parents, the neighbors and their two young daughters, the creepy neighbors on the other side (we never met them), and the kids at school. But the one I spent the most time with was Ellie, my dog. She was a big grey animal with wirey fur. Irish Wolfhound mix, I believe. We explored farther than pretty much everyone on the whole planet, me and her. We would go and hike all day when I didn't have a lot of chores to do. Once she even saved my life when I slipped off a rock and broke my arm- fifteen miles from the civilization. She ran all that way for me. She died, like all the other animals, of course.
I loved my parents, and I still do. I really miss them, but as terrible as it is for me to say, I loved Ellie a bit more. I just have trouble getting close to people, I guess.... Sorry, I've been going on and on.

That's okay. So, do you have any stregths you think you can bring to the team

I'm pretty observant, I guess. And I never seem to get tired. All that hiking with Ellie gives me lots of endurance even now. But I don't know anything about machines, if that's what you're talking about.

What are you hoping to find on Earth?

Dogs. I'm hoping there are dogs. And more food.

So, what about girls? You don't hope for more opportunities?

Opportunities? What? That's stupid. Besides, girls don't really like me. I don't talk enough. In fact, this is the most talking I've done in a good, long while. I think I'm done now.

... Well, thank you for talking this long, I suppose.

*nods* goodbye, sir.
When you asked me what Was wrong I wanted for dinner, I said "Nothing". But as I turned away I whispered, "Everything."

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:23 pm
Rydia says...

*bump* Another character or two and we'll start this, any takers?
Writing Gooder

Random avatar

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:14 am
Shadow98 says...

I would like a male spot and will have my profile up either later today or tomorrow, if that's ok.
"Who will accept one of the damned other than a family of the cursed? Where will a creature of darkness hide if not in the shadows of the night?"
-Darren Shan

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:45 am
Rydia says...

Yep that's great Shadow :)
Writing Gooder

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:56 pm
View Likes
Cspr says...

Hope you still needed another character. :)

So, who are you?

Astor Weekes. No middle name.

Interesting. And how old are you? And your sex is?

Just turned twenty. Male.

Bit young. You were a baby when the mission started, eh?

I suppose. I showed signs of advanced intelligence. Went through the steps a good bit faster than the other kids they were looking at. You know, rubbish kids. Not really wanted. I mean, my parents aren’t on the ship.

You sound a bit bitter. -chuckles- Moving on, though. So, can you state your appearance to me? Keep it simple.

Well, I got dishwater blond hair, blue-hazel eyes, and stand at about 5’8”. Which, yes, I’m aware is rather short.

Good. Erm, could you state your...ethnicity? I see you’ve...bleached words onto your shirt...?

I’m a moggie. Yeah, don’t know about the olive complexion and freckles either. And, yeah, I’m aware of that. I get bored.

Interesting. I hear you work on the ship--maintenance and all that?

I know some. I’ve done most everything. Now I mostly read and write stuff for people. They’re like “We need someone that knows this!” or “Here, this page got stained, please type up a few version of it.” It’s all rather boring.

You have a favorite book?

I’m talking psychology and philosophy books, mostly. Genetics. Geography. Cartography. I--I don’t know. British authors are often my favorites. Some of the team says I sound like I’m from the UK. Never been there, of course...

Okay. Excited that we’re headed back to earth?

I dunno. I sort of love it here. To think I might not be able to come back... I grew up here. It’s gorgeous. I know most people just see a lot of red rock, but I can remember clambering over piles of red rock, helping plant the food, and tending to the animals all on this world’s surface. Everyone and everything I know... My life so far has been Mars. It’s somewhat upsetting.

I’m sorry to hear that. But! You might get to meet that family of yours.

I assume that if they were willing to let their kid be shot off into space for an unknown amount of time, they don’t give a rat’s bum about me. I wouldn’t care to meet them. I’ve got all the family I need, even if we aren’t blood. Blood-relation...it’s not that important.

All right. Oh, and for some reason they want to know what you consider your strengths and weaknesses, your likes and dislikes?

And they think I’ll be honest? -shakes head- Ah, well, um, I’m inventive. I like to make things. Dream stuff up. But I daydream a bit too much--used to have night terrors. Monsters and blood red people and being eaten and all. You know. Creepy stuff. Still don’t sleep well, so I can be a bit snippy. I see way too much. Like, little stuff, it bothers me. People can’t keep secrets easy around me. Can just...tell. -clears throat- As another pro, I have excellent penmanship and typing skills. Neither of these things surprising. As a con, I suppose a friend of mine said I’m probably going to grow up and be like Caravaggio or Tesla.

Caravaggio or Tesla?

Brilliant. Go mad and die. -shrugs- I like Mars. I like that freeze-dried ice cream nobody else seems to, ‘specially the strawberry ones. Um, cats. There’s a few on board. There’s an orange tabby one that likes to sleep on my feet. Books. Some of the music. Most of what we brought with us is terrible. Copying the poetry from the books, but changing up the words... I don’t like heights. Or shattering glass--noise freaks me out a bit. Irrational fear and stuff. I don’t like chocolate. They made some--all the ones from Earth so excited--and I thought it tasted bizarre. Gave my chunk to somebody else.

Anything else? How about that necklace around your neck? Bit odd for a boy.

Made it. Twisted metal from here, with some hide to hold it ‘round my neck. Think one of the cows died and--yeah. -coughs- Anyway.

What is it? Looks a bit like, um, a cluster of swirls?

Shhh. It’s a secret. -laughs- Kidding. I think it was a druid symbol... -sighs- Forgotten now. Always asking me to remember things, normally do, but I can’t remember...
My SPD senses are tingling.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:18 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Zai Holtzclaw|10:00am|Day 1|Approaching Earth

Spending three months on a ship was enough to drive anyone crazy and the only thing keeping Zai from going crazy was counting down the days until they reached the Earth. That was today. He'd started a new diary in honour of it, though he hadn't written anything yet. He wanted his first entry to be written down there, on Earth.

"It looks so blue," Zai breathed out as he turned away from the window to glance at Elaine. Of course she didn't say anything. Elaine didn't really talk, she just gave a little nod and Zai turned to look out again. "I knew it was going to be blue but now that I see it... I thought somehow the photos must be wrong. I thought it couldn't possibly be blue."

Zai didn't have another word to describe it. He wanted a better word but blue, blue, blue was all he could think. Blue like water after the earth and sand had all been drained away. But more than the blue, what he really saw was the green. "And do you see all that green? There must be so many plants down there." Zai couldn't even imagine it. Trees taller than people. That was what the books talked about. Trees so thick that you could get lost in them. "A forest." The word felt alien on his tongue - had Zai ever said it out loud before? "I bet there's a forest there, where all that green is."

"If I had a daughter, I think I'd call her Green." That was the closest Zai could get to explaining just how he felt about the Earth and everything about it. The Earth was his brain child. All those nights he lay awake dreaming of her and then he'd close his eyes and dream again and now he was finally here, they were finally here. Down there was his mother's home and they were going to be safe and they were going to live somewhere where the plants grew and the people were fat.
Writing Gooder

Random avatar

Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:06 am
View Likes
Shadow98 says...

Spoiler! :
Sorry, I was studying for my finals and didn’t have time to finish this until now.

Ok, first off can you give us your technical information, you know age, height, that sort of stuff?
Sure, I’m male and my name is Steve Coleman. I’m sixteen which obviously means I was born on Mars and am 6’ and weigh 120 lb.
What was it like growing up on Mars?
For me it was pretty interesting. My parents were two members of our science team and even after they had me they were very dedicated to their jobs so I practically grew up in a lab. Despite my age I’m a rather accomplished scientist having been raised with almost nothing else, I had some very good teachers. Mostly I was taught biology and engineering as that is what we needed most on the colony to make our plants and animals stronger and to keep our machinery running or to improve on it. I don’t really know anyone outside of the science department and I’m rather thin and weak from not doing anything outside of labs.
Where are your parents now?
They died in the plague. They spent their remaining time almost solely to trying to beat it, obviously they didn’t have any success.
I’m sorry. Do you need a minute?
No, I’m alright we can continue.
Ok. How would you describe yourself?
Pretty plain, I have light brown hair and hazel eyes. I’m somewhat tall and rather skinny. I’m very pale from never going out. I don’t really have a style for clothing and just wear whatever is available at the time.
One final question, do you look forward to seeing Earth?
I suppose, I’m mostly exited to see what kind of animals there are there and I want to meet with some more micro-biologists to find out how to beat the virus so maybe we can go back and save the people that we left there, assuming their not already dead.
"Who will accept one of the damned other than a family of the cursed? Where will a creature of darkness hide if not in the shadows of the night?"
-Darren Shan

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:27 pm
View Likes
LunaHalfLacy says...

Alec Kingsley

I sit in the dimly lit storage room, doodling. Well, of course, sitting is a very poor way to put it. I managed to tie myself, my pencil, and my sketchbook to a pipe, but that does little to stop me from gyrating wildly about in an attempt to catch my floating supplies. Even when I manage to keep everything in one place, my drawings suck. Though I was never an artist to begin with, this is getting ridiculous. I glower down at my sketches: What was supposed to be a labrador is a circle with four sausage-like legs, one of which sticks out awkwardly from the shoulder. I haven't started on its neck yet, and I don't intend to.

"Fine, headless." I mutter to the drawing, untying the rope around my waist - even this small action takes forever."I give up."

Abandoning my paraphernalia, I fly up to the storage-room hatch and shove it open. For some reason, this reminds me of something. Excitedly, I paddle over to a window and look out. There it is. Earth. It's so... Um, circular. I train my eyes eagerly for any mountains or forests, though in reality I know I'm too far away to see. In the far distance the tiny silver moon hangs suspended in the blackness, half-hiding behind the Earth like a shy toddler. It distracts me; for some reason I find the moon adorable. When I get a dog, I think I'll name it something related to the Moon.

I can't help but smile at the notion of dogs. After Ellie died, my parents decided we couldn't afford another dog. There were only a few left by then, and they were very expensive. Earth, however, is crawling with dogs. Whereas I spent half my childhood only being able to read any and every book I could get my hands on, soon I will have my own dog! I might even find one for free - I'm hoping for a herding breed.

The sound of a hatch opening breaks me out of my thoughts. I find myself being bored into by the freezing blue eyes of Captain Zera. If I was physically able to, I would have fled. This woman is scary: Tall, cold, and scowling, she somehow manages to be floating higher than me so that she can glare down at me as if I'm a bug she is considering stomping. A bug is certainly what I feel like.

"Erm, Good morning, ma'am," I say, not bothering to salute. I tried that once, and let's just say it didn't turn out too good.
She narrows her eyes, causing me to gulp. Honestly, I think she's looking into my soul.

"Get ready to land," she barks (and not in the good way.) "We'll be entering orbit soon."

"Yes ma'am." I obey, even though I have no idea what the heck that means. When I don't move except to look around in confusion, she sighs heavily and pushes past me, gliding through the air easily. How come everyone is good at that but me?

Spoiler! :
Sorry this isn't my best! I'm working through a nasty case of writer's block.
When you asked me what Was wrong I wanted for dinner, I said "Nothing". But as I turned away I whispered, "Everything."

You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author