z

Young Writers Society

NaNo '21 Pep Talks & Writing Guides

Reviews: 0
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:21 am
View Likes
PlanBot says...

Follow along with this thread for NaNo tips and tricks from the YWS staff and community members with NaNo experience.
Are you gearing up for Camp NaNo in April?
Join us with the PlanMo Journal Challenge to prepare (and earn some shiny badges)!

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:12 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Character Description Go-tos

A lot of times when writing, we can end up getting stuck. What are we meant to do with all this extra space between important lines of dialogue? What if we've already exhausted the legal amount of setting descriptions we can have before the reader starts thinking "where's the action?"? Never fear! Some character descriptions are here!

Characters are often the main focus of a scene, and readers want to be able to imagine what they're doing. Describing dynamic things, such as how their faces move, can help more than a static inventory of their eye colour, hair colour, the length of their fingernails, etc. So if you're lost as to how to continue a scene, consider making somebody do something.

We've compiled ideas for character descriptions from YWSers, the kinds of things you can use to flesh-out a scene that's looking a little bare.

Facial Expression

• Gaze direction: Where are the characters looking when they talk to someone? Are they making eye contact, or looking elsewhere?
  • Smiles: e.g. a titled uncertain smile, a halfhearted smile, or a small smile with a dimple, or a borderline smirk
  • Eyes: e.g. eyes flashing when speaking of their triumphs

Body Language

• Posture: is it hunched over or ramrod straight? How much tension does the character have in their posture? Are they languid and relaxed, slouching or stiff?
  • Gestures: are they gesturing nervously with their hands? Are they pointing an accusatory finger? Or is it more like arrogant or patronising finger-waggling in someone's face?

Vocal

• Laughing: Do they do a full blown belly laugh, or is it more of a snort, or a chuckle, or a reluctant huff?
  • Tone of voice: It's not just about what they say, but how they say it, e.g. domineering, uncertain

Other Actions

• Using Magic/ Powers: what colour is the magic, if it has a colour? How does it change with the situation? Which powers are being used in the scene?
  • Habits: describe the character's quirks. Do they bite their nails? Do they tap their fingers? Or perhaps, do they tap their feet?

Story-specific examples from @BluesClues about her WIP

Exhibit A: body language quirks, voice quirks and smiling combined!

the groundskeeper tugs his hat down over his eyes a lot and says things gruffly a lot, while his LI runs his hands through his hair all the time and smiles a lot.

Exhibit B: outfit choices

And then I describe clothing sometimes, but mostly if a character has a really distinctive style (like the groundskeeper's LI and his many colorful waistcoats, so in every scene he's in I make sure you know what his waistcoat looks like)

Hopefully this list of examples and ideas will help you figure out what exactly your characters should be doing in a particular scene. Happy NaNo!

Credits roll! Contributors:
@IcyFlame @MailicedeNamedy @rida @HarryHardy @Plume @BluesClues
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only. I would like to be that unnoticed and that necessary.
— Margaret Atwood