z

Young Writers Society

Caught (1)

194 Reviews

Reviews: 194
Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:05 pm
Sela Locke says...

Something I just wrote on impulse. Don't be nice. PG-13 for tiny bits o' language.

Allen watched passively as a girl, no older than seventeen or eighteen, was helped into the police cruiser, cursing at him as if he was the very devil. It didn’t bother him – he did what he did for the sake of eccentricities, nothing more. It was a poorly paid job, nothing special, but he liked it well enough. He took a drag from his cigarette, knowing anyone that saw him would register a rather funny fellow with uninteresting clothes and impassivity visiting his face; it was a frequent houseguest, one he entertained quite often enough.

“You damn—” the teenager screeched, but was cut short as the car door slammed shut. No one seemed to realize she’d been screaming at him, no, it was much more likely that she was venting her anger on one of the policemen, in their opinions. Allen didn’t consider them very reliable people, but also didn’t bother to be annoyed at the simple little minds of most superstore customers. Tossing the cig, he swept back inside, another opportunity sauntering along – almost immediately – in the form of a shifty-eyed kid, some skater dude with nothing worth doing.

He swaggered down the main aisle in such an excessively pronounced way that Allen was surprised no one had yet called an ambulance, mistaking his walk for some sort of life-threatening seizure. In a roundabout way, Allen tailed him to the electronics section, where he continued his act of forced detachment. It was with amusement that he watched Mr. Squeaky-Sneakers swipe a few CDs, not even bothering to glance around before scrabbling at the plastic wrap.

“Ohh, yeah. Getting those things off is like pulling a red ant’s face off your arm after it bites you – ‘s impossible, dude.”

The boy started in such a way that Allen thought he might have gotten stung by some horribly venomous black bee. He went about a foot into the air before tumbling back to earth, CDs scattered in every direction.

“Why can’t you steal music the honest way? Like, on your jacked laptop, or something?”

The funny kid with the sneakers that squealed like baby pigs when you stepped on them looked up from the minimal carnage, green-brown eyes wide with apprehension. He looks like a little hyena, Allen noted, the tiniest smile shivering across his face.

“I… I don’t have a laptop,” he stated. “And don’t call me Norman.”

“What?” Allen frowned, for once confused. “Oh, you mean, like, because it’s such a hideously ugly name – you’d never want to be mistaken for someone christened ‘Norman’.”

“Uhm, no. I just said ‘don’t call me Norman’ because as soon as I do tell you that it’s Norman you’ll laugh, and call me that. It’s Nor, ‘kay?”

Allen was intrigued; surprised that for once, the thief wasn’t just a shifty, brainless fool. “Ouch. Okay, Norman. Funny, I think it’s Norman like ‘Norseman’, so why wouldn’t you wanna be named after those dudes way back then that had those cool horned helmets and like, skirts?” he asked, honestly curious.

“Skirts? Why would I want to be named after a guy who wore a skirt? Never mind, you’re obviously one of those weird people who go around being creepy to see how more normal earthlings will react. Don’t you have Guitar Hero and eight-day-old pizza to go home to?”

Allen laughed, blatantly ignoring the shoppers nearby so obviously, he was surprised they hadn’t started cussing him out, yet.

“I’d tell you why not, but certain persons could hear, and then I’d have to kick them out of the store forever so they wouldn’t go telling all their little chicken-brained friends that Customer Allen isn’t actually…” he trailed off, waiting for Nor to get the hint.

“A customer,” Norman finished, accidentally letting a look of awe slip onto his face. To make up for it, he stood, replacing the expression with a sturdy scowl. Well, he thought it looked sturdy. Allen just thought it looked like someone had stuck a fork into his face and twisted.

“You know that little sandwich shop across the street?” Allen queried.

“The one where you can’t understand the workers because they have such thick accents and the tuna tastes like decaying wood chips?” Surprisingly, Nor was not thrown off by the sudden change of subject.

Allen nodded, clearly amused. “Yeah, that one.”

“You’re pausing like you’re waiting for an answer, but obviously I wouldn’t be able to describe it if I hadn’t been there, or heard of it, before. What kind of freakish non-moronic… freak are you?”

“Sweet vocab you have there,” Allen commented. “By the way, if you’re mom walked past right now, what would she look like?”

Nor’s mouth opened and closed multiple times before he replied. “Old. And that’s not at all ‘by the way.’ That’s like, miles in the opposite direction of our road of conversation.”

Since he couldn’t duck his head to hide a smile (Nor being so much shorter), Allen looked ceiling-ward, immediately closing his eyes as the bright lights shot imaginary arrows at them.

“In a manner of speaking," Norman amended. "Back to my old mom, why do you ask?”

Allen snorted, glancing at something that was behind Norman. “Does she have clothes that make her look worse than homeless bums in New York City and hair that could be mistaken for road-kill?”

“Yup, that’s her, right down to the letter. Is she… here?” Nor looked nervously

Allen raised his eyebrows, saying, “She’s marching up behind you right now. Read any good books lately?”

“Norman Jared Skorn! What the hell are you doing?” screeched an elderly woman with black-and-grey hair.

“Oh, hi Mum. I was just discussing the pros and cons of some cool bands with, uh, erm, this guy.”

“This guy?” she asked, voice becoming deathly quiet. “This guy?”

He smiled nervously, and Allen looked on, pretending not to notice how very much Norman wanted him to say something.

“Uh-huh,” was all Nor managed to choke out.

Without another word, Mrs. Skorn dug her claw-like nails into Norman’s arm and dragged him grimly away. Allen waved, saying in a voice only Nor would hear, “Nice surname, dude. Nice surname.”

And then mother and son were out of sight, and Allen, for once, wished his caught shoplifter hadn’t left so soon. He thought of the livid look on Mrs. Skorn’s face, and chuckled.

“What a pleasant woman.”

For the beginning of a short story, it could be worse, right? Now review!
Last edited by Sela Locke on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Well, I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.

--Algernon, The Importance of Being Earnest

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:01 pm
Prokaryote says...

Ms. Locke --

... so exaggeratedly ...

Woah, bad adverb alert.

... some sort of life-threatening seizure.

Funny.

“Wh-what m-makes you th-th-think I’m do-doing an-anything il-il-illegal?”

Don't you think the stuttering is just a tad bit overdone here?

cereal boxes and teeth-rotting snacks that everybody bought because no one had the imagination or ability to make good food.

Ah, social commentary. I'd like to see you write a story based solely on cereal. That would be super.

“Okay, Nor, what was with all that music-stealing stuff?”

Okay, so why is this kid stealing CDs, of all things? Everyone torrents their music anymore; it's all about file-sharing. I'd think stealing CDs would be needlessly dangerous. Plus, don't they all have those tags that set off the alarm if you leave with them?

Nor’s face seemed to shudder itself through a few emotions, finally touching on a small, half-smile.

Good, I like it.

So, here's the thing. I don't think the end of the story works. I fail to see what's so special about this kid. What does the protagonist see in him? I don't know. How is this kid any different than any other shoplifter? Does he stutter more? The writing is solid, the dialogue is okay, but the main concept doesn't do anything for me. There's not a terribly lot of chemistry between the two characters, and their personalities aren't defined enough for me to care. You say Allen is eccentric, but I don't see it.

It seems pretty pointless to me.

I still would like to see a story about cereal though.

Prokaryote

194 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:39 pm
Sela Locke says...

Ahh, thank goodness, my favorite old man! And thank you, Prok, for not sparing me - I felt the same, to be honest. I'm not all that good at short stories, and I wrote this last night at like, 10:30pm, then edited it today. It was just something to throw writer's block off, a little.

Anyway, thank you very much for being honest - I actually appreciate it. I'll see what I can do. ;)

-SELA

P.S. SHUT UP.
Well, I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:42 am
Emerson says...

Well this was certainly interesting! I like your writing, but to be honest it was struggling to keep my attention. Since there was no real defined conflict after the girl was gone (I thought it was some more than shoplifting...) I wasn't certain what was going on, and it quickly got boring. There really wasn't that great of a conflict, or if it was there, it didn't risk anyone I cared about (why would I care about Nor?) and Allen seemed so laid back I could fall asleep. His character was interesting at first, but the first paragraph sort of overloaded me with him, and then you never characterized him further.

The stutters in dialogue bugged me, mostly because you can show that he's afraid a lot better than that and it's annoying to read. I'm all for characterization in dialogue but that rubbed me the wrong way. At certain points you still showed him as scared when I thought anyone at that point would have been rude, or something, for example when Allen says he won't turn him in.

It wasn't bad, your writing is interesting, but the plot just didn't grab me. Maybe you could shake it up, a bit?

Best of luck!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:21 am
ChernobyllyInclined says...

In general, this strikes me as your best work. But the others are right, it fizzles out. A "short" story doesn't mean a three paragraph story. Short stories are often about eight or nine times longer than this.

Anyhow, your writing was AMAZING in this. I don't know how you arrived at such a place with the Bartimaeus Trilogy rattling around in your head. But it was far superior to all of your other stuff. I believe I know why, but I won't bother spelling it out.

Changes-to-be-made

So, the beginning was good. I liked it. I liked it when he started following Mr. Seizures, and I liked all the funny description that was part of Allen's personality. But as soon as he has caught the kid, it gets shaky. The dialogue seemed a little off. Maybe something more like:

"Wow, stealing CD's."

(Short silence where kid is scared. He quickly recovers.) "Stealing? Why would I wanna steal a CD? Limewire, right?" (Laughs nervously, holding the CD's inconspicuously be his side.)

"So, you were tearing the plastic off so you could eat it?" (Allen thinks that might be preferable to the nasty cereal.)

"The--I--Dammit." (Sets CD's down on cereal box.) "Okay, fine. You can't prove it was me. Bye, bastard." (Acts really confident but Allen can tell that he isn't sure if he can get away with just leaving.)

"Camera's. They're all the rage nowadays." (Allen thinks he's funny.) "Oh, and fingerprints."

(Kid pauses, and then turns around.) "Sure, of course," he says sullenly.

"This is wear you pay for them, and leave the store a more virtuous...middle-schooler." (Allen proceeds to take him to the checkout and watch him pay for the CD's. He then wonders why he trying to steal CD's in the first place and concludes that the poor kid probably wanted to hang them in his apple tree to chase away crows. Duh.)

Anyway, from there, we could learn a little bit more about Allen. How he got the job, why he wanted the job, and anything else that might cause us to want to continue reading the story. And that would be the first part, of a few, that would make up a "short" story. Eight or nine pages, usually.

Obviously you shouldn't use the dialogue I gave you, but make the kid more confident--to hide his fear--and make Allen a little more realistically caustic. You know. The real way.

And like I said before, everything before the dialogue part, was perfect. So, you're good with that. Let me know when you edit. I'm excited. Write more like this. Seriously.
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

194 Reviews

Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:42 am
Sela Locke says...

Well, thank you all! I edited it, to the best of my ability. Perhaps you could tell me what you think? I might put the next part on tomorrow. Toodle-oo! ;)

-SELA

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:43 pm
Carlito says...

Sela Locke wrote:Allen watched passively as a girl, no older than seventeen or eighteen, was helped into the police cruiser, cursing at him as if he was the very devil. It didn’t bother him – he did what he did for the sake of eccentricities, nothing more. It was a poorly paid job, nothing special, but he liked it well enough. He took a drag from his cigarette, knowing anyone that saw him would register a rather* funny fellow with uninteresting clothes and impassivity visiting his face; it was a frequent houseguest, one he entertained quite often enough.**

*: This doesn't flow well to me or make much sense. The 'register' part is what kind of throws me the most. I would probably say something like 'would see him as a'.
**: This didn't make sense to me. What is a frequent house guest? What does this have to do with anything?

Sela Locke wrote:“You damn—” the teenager screeched, but was cut short as the car door slammed shut. No one seemed to realize she’d been screaming at him, no,* it was much more likely that she was venting her anger on one of the policemen, in their opinions.* Allen didn’t consider them very reliable people, but also didn’t bother to be annoyed at the simple little minds of most superstore customers. Tossing the cig,* he swept back inside, another opportunity sauntering along – almost immediately – *** in the form of a shifty-eyed kid, some skater dude with nothing worth doing.

*: I would take out both of these and make two sentences. The 'no' just breaks up the sentence in kind of an awkward way to me, and 'in their opinions' isn't necessary.
**: Just say cigarette, I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to them as a 'cig'. :)
***: I'm not super familiar with the rule here but I think you could easily get by with just comas instead of dashes.

Sela Locke wrote:He swaggered down the main aisle in such an excessively pronounced way that Allen was surprised no one had yet called an ambulance, mistaking his walk for some sort of life-threatening seizure.

Ha! :)

Sela Locke wrote:The funny kid with the sneakers that squealed like baby pigs when you stepped on them* looked up from the minimal carnage, green-brown eyes wide with apprehension. He looks like a little hyena, Allen noted, the tiniest smile shivering across his face.

*: Ok no. I'm gonna try not to go all vegetarian, animal rights here, sorry if I do.
What kind of description is this? What sick, disgusting person steps on baby pigs or just pigs in general. That is beyond terrible. Like, makes me sick to even think about it terrible.
'Squealed like a baby pig' would be sufficient.

Sela Locke wrote:“Skirts? Why would I want to be named after a guy who wore a skirt? Never mind, you’re obviously one of those weird people who go around being creepy to see how more normal earthlings will react. Don’t you have Guitar Hero and eight-day-old pizza to go home to?”

Ha! :) I like this dude :)

Sela Locke wrote:Allen laughed, blatantly ignoring the shoppers nearby so obviously, he was surprised they hadn’t started cussing him out, yet.

This doesn't flow very well in my opinion. 'blatantly ignoring the shoppers nearby so obviously' is the part flashing out right now. That just sounds really weird to me.

Sela Locke wrote:“A customer,” Norman finished, accidently ((accidentally)) letting a look of awe slip onto his face. To make up for it, he stood, replacing the expression with a sturdy scowl. Well, he thought it looked sturdy. Allen just thought it looked like someone had stuck a fork into his face and twisted.

Sela Locke wrote:“Huh. Define ‘date’. Maybe I’m just leading you to the place where policemen will toss you in the back of a cruiser and take you away to a place to lock you up. Then your mom will come in and wring her hands and ask God why he let her son be such a complete failure at life.”

Haha! Nice :)

Sela Locke wrote:“Fine,” Norman conceded, looking relieved that his moment of weirdness was securely in the past. Not that the past liked it any more than he had; Norman was just selfish that way, as Allen had quickly realized.

This is kind of weird. If some weird dude just starting talking to you in the store when you were trying to steal something and then told you he was getting you arrested why would you ever go with them?!

I didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't mindblowingly awesome either :)
The plot was kind of weird and I didn't think it was super realistic but that's alright I guess...
That's about all i got :) If you need anything cleared up or anything feel free to PM me :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

194 Reviews

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 am
Sela Locke says...

Thanks! Yeah, I'll have to look it over - I was pretty tired when I wrote it. xD

-SELA

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:39 am
Fangala the Flying Feline says...

First of all, thanks for saying that Chessie is the opposite of Bella. That was medicine for my soul.

Now, onto your story: Excellent! You have a real talent for concrete detail and humorous similes and metaphors. The dialogue is sharp and realistic, but maybe too rambling? Also, it was a teensy bit confusing when Allen notices Norman for the first time. Try describing what Norman looks like, and what he's doing when Allen sees him.

Other than that, there's nothing wrong. Great start.
"Hey look! A black shooting star!"

"That's no star...that's Fangala!"

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:49 pm
tanith14 says...

As someone mentioned before, there seems to be an overall lack over urgency. Make the conflict greater! Build it up higher. That is the one thing I am counting you off for.

Overall your dialogue reminded me of me when I was a little younger... crisp, witty, generally very unique compared to other styles of writing. Amen, keep that fight up. The first thing you will learn in Hollywood is to have strong dialogue along with dynamic characters. Remember, the two are inseparable. You cannot have one without the other.
If there is one thing in the world I CAN'T stand it is the Redwings.

Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.
— Homer Simpson