z

Young Writers Society

Camp NaNo April '24: Shadow of the Orange Tree

211 Reviews

Reviews: 211
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:54 am
View Likes
OrabellaAvenue says...

Not my first NaNo-related project, but first Camp NaNo! Super excited to see what everyone else is doing. ^^

Ready for a super corny summary/synopsis/thingy?
When HollowWood day rolls around again the next year, something different happens. Chantelle's mother has a baby. And the new baby has to grow up without her older sister. While Chantelle's death leaves some villager's wrecked with grief, other rejoice, saying "The Witch is dead! The Witch is dead!" However, the reason she died could be the reason she's still alive.
Chantelle was the only person Everli truly had in her life, and when the culprit of her friend's death is found, Everli's life shifts from house maid to a game of hide and seek.

Goals:
  1. Read through what I have
  2. Finish first draft
  3. Create a more detailed plan on what I want (and what I don't)
  4. Start editing/revising/rewriting/new draft?
  5. Work on characters
  6. Have fun!
  7. Encourage other people in their threads! (And see what awesome stories they have... <.< >.>)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
~Dr. Seuss

Orabella ~ Ora ~ Avenue ~ Aven
She/her

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:13 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Oooh how close are you to finishing your first draft?
Love your plans for camp and I wish you the best of luck <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

211 Reviews

Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:55 am
View Likes
OrabellaAvenue says...

@Carlito thank you so much! ^^ I'm not 100% sure how close yet lol I have about 60,000 words and I'm very close to the end, but I don't know if very close means 5000 or 20,000 XD. I wish you the best of luck as well! (And let the bunnies be adorable enough to give you inspiration!)
~Dr. Seuss

She/her

211 Reviews

Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:17 am
View Likes
OrabellaAvenue says...

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[size=125][b][small-caps]April <DATE>[/small-caps][/b][/size]

April 1st-4th
Soooo.... let's just pretend these days didn't happen. Because they didn't. I either didn't have any time at all, or I wasted it doing something else.

April 5th
I began reading through it. I...

Spoiler! :
Okay, so right away there are a million continuity mistakes. They refer to the owl as a she/her, and then suddenly switch to he/him??? What gender is this owl?? Everli says she keeps a bunch animals in Chantelle's house but that never happens? I probably just forgot I wrote that I didn't add to it later on. XD

But the dialogue is surprisingly not as bad as I expected. I mean, it's still unnatural and doesn't flow right, but there's a bunch of character movement while they're speaking that actually reflect their personalities. (Or what I have of them.)
~Dr. Seuss

She/her

A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau