July 2021: I am Mari

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:39 am
View Likes
momonster says...

I am Mari: Camp NaNoWriMo 2021

image made by @Elfboy - link to come later

I'll write more later, but my goal is 15,000 words. Someone stop me.
For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:14 NIV

never apologize for standing up for what you believe in.

previously MomoandAppa, LordMomo, MomoMajesty, and dancingontheclouds

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:45 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Consider me intrigued based on the cover art you made!!
15k is 484 words per day! You can do it!! đź’ś
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

105 Reviews

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:08 am
View Likes
momonster says...

I'm glad you're interested, @Carlito! @Elfboy made the cover for me :D
For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:13 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Good luck, Momo! :D
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

105 Reviews

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm
View Likes
momonster says...

Thanks, @Liminality!

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:13 am
View Likes
Omni says...

You got this Momo! That'll give me more to read and review :P
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

105 Reviews

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:18 pm
View Likes
momonster says...

Thank you, Vincian! I'll actually be posting the chapters here, because I'm b a d at reviews lol

I am Mari: Prologue

Day 3 of testing 12:48 10/24/47
Body1 that was recovered is almost dead, but we have started to heal it. Same with Body2. Body2 seems to be male, and Body1 female. After wiping their memories and going through them, they appear to have been engaged. One was a corporal, the other a sargent. I have been thinking, and I’ve decided to revive both, but keep Body2 for testing. Body1 will be freed to go back to his country in shame. Signed, Dr. Eta. HTH
…
…
…
Day 15 of testing 19:35 11/4/47
Body2 is inactive, but showing steady vital signs. Body1 is awake, but has not spoken a word. He has taken food and water from us and ingested it. He is also showing steady vital signs, despite the fact that he died. On another note, we have received word from Lord Harvard that America has officially surrendered, and we have won the war. Signed, Dr. Eta. HTH
…
…
…
Day 46 of testing 12:30 12/5/47
Body1, who has identified himself as Marcos, has been released. Body2, who he named as Mari, is still inactive. I have decided to perform multiple surgeries on Mari (who we have chosen to call Test Subject, or TS), removing her legs and arms and replacing them with metal arms and legs, turning her into a soldier whose sole purpose is to serve us. Signed, Dr. Eta. HTH
…
…
…
…
…
Day 411 of testing 03:57 12/5/48:
TS is still inactive. Has not responded to niquilum that was supposed to heal body 15% faster. The surgeries were successful, however, and modifications are working well. Signed, Dr. Eta. HTH
…
…
…
Day 423 12/17/48
TS is active. Steady vitals. Signed, Eta. HTH
…
Day 424 12/18/48
After multiple tests, TS is fit for combat.

Later: TS escaped. Searching now.

105 Reviews

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:22 pm
momonster says...

I am Mari: Chapter 1

Awake.

Needles.

Metal.

Pain.

Tears.

Screams.

Gunfire.

Explosions.

Sun.

Running.

Running.

Running-

I am running. They can’t catch me. I won’t go back there. They can’t catch me. Can’t catch me.

Me.

Who am me?

Nonono.

Who am I?

Thought hurts. I keep running.

I can hear them behind me. One Chacker, five Lopers, and twelve drones.

They really want me back.

They won’t get me back.

I scan the terrain. My sensors find a well. Their scanners can see stone, but not what’s inside it. So I run faster. And faster.

Running to a beast, shooting a gun, hurt-pain-no, death.

I shake my head. I don’t have time for that.

I finally reach the well. I shoot a torpedo into the air. It explodes, and I jump into the well. Once I reach the bottom, I turn on my camouflage and press against the side. I pray that they’ll think my running so fast overloaded me and caused me to explode. I pray that they’ll leave.

I try to remember. All I could was the hell I escaped from. They had hurt me, cut me, ripped me apart and shoved the broken pieces of me back together. They had forced me to sleep, and when I woke, I was different every time. They had taken myself from me, and kept it for themselves. But there was something there…

A name. But whose?

Was it mine?

I sound it out, quietly. I say it. It feels right. So I have one solid answer.

I am Mari.

105 Reviews

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:28 pm
momonster says...

I am Mari: Chapter 2

I can feel vibrations in the ground of many footsteps. I check to make sure my camo is still activated, and it is. I scan again, but with my stealth scanner, which isn’t as accurate, but it works well in short distances.

There are a few tents, many scientists, a lot of guards, and the Chacker and Lopers are still there.

A Chacker is a tank with legs, and it’s as tall as a two-story building. It has at least 20 guns, 5 places to shoot bombs and torpedoes from, and huge feet that could step on a small squad and ruin their chances of living. The only way you can destroy one is to throw a Kalka bomb in the air, shoot the bomb, and run for cover before the bullet connects with it.

A Loper is like a motorcycle, but bigger, and with legs, and it goes faster. It can go underwater, and be like a small submarine. They need two people for it to work right, because it needs someone driving, and someone shooting. There’s two smaller guns in front, one big one in back, and torpedo launchers on the bottom. Lopers are easier to destroy then Chackers, unless you’re underwater. They have a lot of weak spots which are easy to shoot on land, but in water, they go so fast it’s much harder to shoot them.

A truck pulls up, and someone steps out. I can hear Eta yelling and someone whimpering. I can hear some more footsteps, and orders being barked. I can hear Eta yelling more, and a vehicle leaving. I can hear things being packed up, and more trucks leaving. I can hear the Chacker’s huge steps shaking the earth, and the Lopers’ smaller, quicker ones going after it. Soon, I hear nothing at all.

I scan again, and I can see that everyone’s gone. Not a tent, person, or drone was left behind. I frown. They should have left a least a Loper behind to monitor the area, but there’s nothing. I shoot out the claws in my metal hands, and start to climb up the well. I poke my head out and look around.

I see a Loper wrapped in difrin, a metal that when you scan, the scan goes right through it. (I can see that it’s difrin because of its odd green shine.) The Loper is next to a small cluster of trees; pine, I think. I quickly climb back down the well to the bottom. They knew I was here. But how? I am made of difrin. They wouldn’t be able to scan for me. If they had a scanner that could do that, they would have given me one.

I curl up and hug my legs when I reach the bottom. My arms clank gently against my legs, and I cringe at the noise. Not only because the Loper might have heard it, but because it’s a reminder of what Eta did to me. I have some vague memory of what I was, but it’s so faint and distant that I can’t focus on it.

I shake these thoughts away and think of what to do. I look up. I could climb up and make a desperate break for it. I can run faster then them anyway. That’s what I’ll do.
Before I climb, I carefully hack into the comms system that they’re using. I hear Eta’s voice saying, “Have you seen TS yet?” in a desperate tone, and a, “Not yet, sir.” from the Loper.

I shoot out my claws again and start to climb up. I risk another quick peek to get my bearings.

Now there’s two Lopers wrapped in difrin, right next to each other.

I sigh. But when I pop back down, I smile. I know how to get out.

The Lopers are on the north side of the well. But on the south side, there’s no Lopers or anything, but a field. I could run to the south and have open land to run as fast as I can. I grin as I climb horizontally to the south side of the well. But just before I jump out and start sprinting, I think of something.

This is what they expect. They expect me to go south. That is why the Lopers are facing south, so that when they see me, they can just press the gas. So I have to do what they won’t expect. I have to go north, past the Lopers, and into the trees behind them.

I climb back to the north side and take a deep breath. I can do this. I can get away. I will not let them catch me.

I jump out and run between them, through the trees, and into the meadow hiding just behind the trees.

“We see TS, repeat, we have eyes on TS.” One of the Loper drivers says. I can hear them start turning around and coming through the trees. They weren’t expecting that, so I got a few extra seconds to gain speed.

A sigh of relief comes from Eta. “Stun if possible, but kill if necessary.”

No.

No no.

NO!

I will not die! Not again!

I stop running suddenly, and the Lopers zoom right past me. I shoot each one, and the explosion leaves sunspots in my eyes, leaving me blinking.

“L-24 and 25, did you terminate TS? Come in, 24. Come i-“

“They’re dead. Please stop talking.”

My voice is harsh and raspy from the many nights spent screaming in pain. I knew that someone had told me that I had a beautiful voice. But not anymore
Eta abruptly stops talking. “You can talk?”

“No, I cannot speak at all. I am utterly mute.” I say sarcastically, and I can practically hear Eta blushing.

“Please, we’re only trying to help. We made you better, right? You can fight better, run faster. You’re perfect!” she says desperately. “Just come back, and you’ll have a purpose in life!”

I close my eyes. “No, Eta. You’re a cruel, hideous monster. Now I suggest you crawl back to whatever slimy, putrid hole you live in, and leave. me. alone.” I emphasize the last three words.

“Wait! No, please, we can work-“

I cut the communication and walk between two smoking wreckages into the sunrise.

Note:
Spoiler! :
So here we are! The current word count is 1627, from the prologue and these two chapters. My goal is 15K. If you have thoughts on the story so far, go ahead and PM me or post on my wall! Thanks for reading!

Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster.
— Quentin Crisp