Young Writers Society

The Hand That Mocked Them

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun May 22, 2022 9:53 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Hieronymus," he corrected. "Are we not eating dinner?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun May 22, 2022 10:04 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Kivvien raised an eyebrow at the name. It was a rather dignified name for such a horrid little thing.

"I have no need of it until tomorrow."
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

115 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 10:15 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Hieronymus sighed. His stomach was rumbling; he hadn't eaten since yesterday night, and even then it was only a crust of bread and some chicken scraps. But he felt he'd pushed it by chiding Kivvien earlier, so he'd starve for now. "Very well. Goodnight, sir."
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

95 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 10:29 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Kivvien paid him no more mind and went to sleep.

he/they

115 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 10:30 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Wanna skip?)

she/her

95 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 10:34 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

(yup!)(Do you want to just skip to the next morning, the next town, where ya wanna go?)

he/they

115 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 10:34 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Wanna do the next morning?)

she/her

95 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 10:43 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

(sounds good!)

Kivvien was up as early as usual. He got up and stretched before hopping down from his perch to dig in the cart. He pulled out some dried fruit and strips of meat and dropped a handful in the nest of blankets at the front of the cart where the creature was curled up. Once the mule was hooked back up to the cart, they started again toward their destination.

he/they

115 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 10:45 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Hieronymus woke when the cart started moving and found the dried food, which he started chewing on carefully. "Thank you," he called when he had swallowed one. It wasn't nearly enough to ease his hunger but it was better than nothing, and Kivvien had remembered that he was hungry. His master often forgot; he was a busy man and quite old besides.

she/her

95 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 10:49 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Kivvien ignored his thanks. "In what sort of accommodations does your master house his laboratories?" he asked instead.

he/they

115 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 11:37 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"A cottage with a small tower, just bear the outskirts of town," he replied. "It's not ideal, I'm afraid, but the dean of the university wouldn't let him stay in his original accomodations."

she/her

95 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 11:42 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"I take it he has not accrued much wealth from his work then." Kivvien would have to hide every sign that he was affiliated with the castle or its dealings once he came anywhere near this town. If anyone could identify him as a member of the court going to meet with someone of such pitiful standing, it could reflect poorly on the crown and very possibly get him evicted.

he/they

115 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 11:44 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"He has not been trusted enough," Hieronymus sighed. "The university sullied his good name quite thoroughly."

she/her

95 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 11:48 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"He sullied his own name," Kivvien said. "He is hardly worth my effort."

he/they

115 Reviews

Sun May 22, 2022 11:50 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"He will be!" Hieronymus sat up. Kivvien couldn't be reconsidering. He'd been so close, so close to finding help! "I promise you, sir, whatever his reputation may be now, Master Laurean was renowned for his abilities before and his research and knowledge have only become more extensive in his determination to reestablish himself in the academic community."

she/her

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
— Mark Twain