The Fateful Heart

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:24 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James clicked his tongue and scoffed.

"That's hardly fair," he said. "We're both traitors. And what would I even do about it? It's not like we're even in your world."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:26 am
View Likes
Carina says...

"But consider this," Evaline said back, quick on her feet. "I'm in your world, so doesn't it make more sense for me to know about your circumstances?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

saint carina, patron saint of rp
—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:35 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James narrowed his eyes at her.

"You already know I'm wanted, and that I have bounty hunters looking for me because of the reward they'll get when they find me. That's the only circumstances relevant to you right now."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:42 am
View Likes
Carina says...

James was telling her no new information, but two can play this game.

"Okay, fine," she said. "I challenged the law, but I have a place where I'm safe, and I don't run away. How's that?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:36 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James narrowed his eyes even further.

He could see what she was doing.

"Is this how you are with everyone?" he asked. "You just keep fishing for information but never say anything about yourself? Don't you see how that's one-sided?"

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:04 am
View Likes
Carina says...

She couldn't stop glaring at him.

Evaline knew James was right, but he didn't have to call her out like that. She felt anger stir in her chest, but also mixed in with it was fear. It was often easier to push others away than let them in, but she knew she wasn't in a situation where that could happen anymore.

She bit her tongue to hold back saying anything she may regret, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath to regain focus. The savory scent of the soup certainly helped calm her down.

Silence fell between them before she spoke up again.

"I didn't agree with the status quo," she said cooly, looking away. "So I joined a resistance group. At least, that's what it was at first. A resistance group." She paused, quickly reflecting back on the changes that had happened since she joined. "Now it's a war."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:38 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James wasn't sure if he felt bad or not for her answer, delivered with a cold bitterness like she was handing it over reluctantly. It also meant that now, he had to share.

He locked his jaw for a moment as he took in a deep breath, and tried to figure out a way to make his answer as succinct as possible.

"I sabotaged an experiment the king was planning to do on children to create elite soldiers with magic," he said.

"I succeeded, but I got found out."

He paused, considering his next words carefully.

"There have been neither whispers nor signs of resistance against the current status quo. The majority of the current population is blissfully ignorant of the king's corruption, complacent and complicit in the murder of mages, and too afraid or unaffected to do anything about it."

He stopped there, not wanting to develop further how he felt like a failure, stopping one tragedy while many more continued to happen on a daily basis.

It felt wrong, to be almost envious of Evaline, that she was able to find a group and form a resistance. He would never glorify war, but he knew that was very often what logically, and unfortunately, followed.

After another pause, he risked posing another question.

"How long have you been at war?"

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:47 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline listened attentively, taking in every detail. It felt odd to be confessing their sins out loud to each other in a calm manner. They trusted each other that nothing bad will come of this, but if it were any other audience, there was sure to be consequences.

"I left home at seventeen," she said, eyes and voice softening up. "So, four years ago now."

She could have ended here and asked more about his story, but they only led up to this moment because of one question that James had asked a while ago: why did you leave home?

He now knew about Earth and powers. She owed it to him to answer. Why couldn't it just fall out of her mouth?

"There are a few reasons I'm fighting," she said after a pause, "but only one reason why I decided to join." Evaline quietly sighed and closed her eyes to take a deep breath, choosing her next words carefully.

"You stopped your king from creating elite soldiers of magic. He wanted them as children so they would become desensitized to violence, right?"

She turned to look at him.

"That's already a reality on Earth. Some children are born with the sole purpose to serve in the military. They don't have a choice."

She paused again, her head lagging behind as it processed her own words. It sounded strange and foreign—like she was on their side.

"We're fighting for their future rights and freedom. But because of that, it's them we're fighting."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:52 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James listened, carefully noting the details of her world, and the war she was fighting. Both against and for people who were being used and manipulated from birth.

"It sounds like a very worthy cause," he said quietly.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:26 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline shifted her eyes down at the boiling pot. "I'd like to think so," she murmured.

She hadn't lied about anything, but she certainly wasn't telling the whole truth, either. If it were that easy, she would have been able to convince her two friends to join so she didn't have to leave by herself.

One step at a time.

"And you?" she asked, shifting her attention back to James. "How long ago did this happen? You've really been running away nonstop since then?"
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:38 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"It's been almost a year," James said, looking back down to the soup, which was getting close to done. He threw some more pepper in.

"Nye is... in an interesting position. There are a lot of people who live in great poverty or very dire situations. The amount of money the kingdom is offering for my capture - alive - could leave someone with little to no worries for the rest of their life." He paused. "If they spent it wisely."

"Which seems to be the biggest motivator for people trying to find me."

Except, Butch didn't seem concerned about the money.

No, he wasn't concerned about the money at all.

"That, and most towns have Moonlight Kingdom outposts and military presence, so trying to pass under their radar is very difficult. Especially when there's that much motivation for people to snitch."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:20 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

"Earth doesn't have the concept of money," Evaline said after James finished talking. "At least, not anymore. We're all given jobs that can balance our society in perfect harmony instead," she said, instinctively saying the last sentence soaked in sarcasm. "But I think I can still understand. Greed is a powerful emotion."

She personally hadn't ever experienced greed for 'money' or things, but there was still different types of greed. Power, status, and fame were a few examples.

"Also," she said, raising an eyebrow, "aren't we going to a town?
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:26 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James clicked his tongue and looked over to Eve with a wry smile.

"Ah, yes. An astute observation. Yes. I do want to go into town. It'll be a quick trip - get in, get supplies, and leave."

He wasn't going to mention how, just a few hours ago, he was considering abandoning her in the town by herself. That was before he knew she was literally from another world. That would be doing her no favors - he'd just be throwing her to the wolves if he did that. She didn't quite know enough about his world to navigate it on her own.

"I did consider sending you in there to get things without me, but I think it would be quicker if we went together."

Namely because, he knew what he was doing, and she might end up a little lost. And with no concept of money, there was no way he was going to hand her what little he had.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:56 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Evaline briefly mused over the thought of what a town could look like here. She'd read about how old civilizations had incredible technology while only using resources available, and the cities were tall, dense, noisy, and populated. She had a feeling it wasn't the case here, though.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "I mean, you did say most towns have a military presence. Sounds dangerous for a wanted man on the run."
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

—SilverNight

174 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:02 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James took the pot of soup off the heat and set it on a rock beside the fire to cool. He only had one bowl, so he'd have to eat out of the pot, but he wanted to serve Eve first.

"That is also correct. I do have to risk it sometimes. I can't live entirely off the land - though I'm trying to learn to, so I don't have to do this as much, and eventually, at all."

I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good... then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness.
— Leo Tolstoy