z

Young Writers Society

Custody of an 8 yo

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:49 pm
Pacific says...

Ok, lets say the parents of an eight year old girl die. She's got an older brother who's nineteen. Would he be able to legally have custody if there where no other relatives capable?

I hope that made sense :).
-Kiley-
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you. - Rita Mae Brown

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:57 pm
Snoink says...

Maybe!

Which country, providence, and time setting is this in?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:01 am
Pacific says...

Today in USA! :D
(Not sure where in the US exactly, maybe WA?)
-Kiley-
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you. - Rita Mae Brown

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:28 am
piepiemann22 says...

I think. The age for an older sibling to take over id either 18 or 21. I'm not 100% sure though.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:15 pm
Via says...

Yes, but there would have to be a trial to determine the competency of the brother and discuss possible other options for the best interest of the child.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:17 pm
Fand says...

O.O Seriously. I'm nineteen, and I know that I--and most of my friends--wouldn't be capable of supporting and raising an eight-year-old on my own.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:55 am
Blooregard Q. Kazoo says...

First of all, here's a cool trick to get good answers on this: e-mail your local congressman. Go to house.gov to find out who it is then e-mail him or her. Don't tell them it's for research; tell them you just need to know the information. I do this a lot to my congressman, and I usually receive a response within a few weeks. They'll do anything to get your vote! I just don't tell him I'm only 16 :)

However, I believe write_me is right, although it will depend on your jurisdiction. For some areas, it will be 18, others it could be 21 or even 25 perhaps. A court though will always take into account the capacity of the potential guardian; that is, their level of responsibility and financial income. If said 19 year old was a college student, then the likelihood is no. But if said 19 year old had a steady job, an apartment, and no criminal history, then the answer would probably be yes.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:30 pm
JFW1415 says...

It also depends on what the parents had decided. In my mother's will, if she dies and my brother is 18, he gets custody of me, even though he is only three years older than me. She could have picked someone else, though.

Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights