z

Young Writers Society

Stardust - Bek's NaPo thread 2011

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:54 am
Meshugenah says...

Er. Hai.

I'll try to remember to actually put my poems up this year. Watch this space!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

488 Reviews

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:10 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I told you guys I'd forget to put anything up.

Anyway, a quick explanation, since I'm trying something a bit different for me. I'm working with one translation of Sappho - and ordering another - and am using her fragments as inspiration/a baseline. I did this one earlier tonight, among several other fragments. I know there's more to it, but I can't figure it out right now. Since, I know the two go to the same poem, but like, nothing is there to connect them. Yep. So you get two stanzas that aren't complete! When I manage to finish this one (and connect the other 45 or so lines of fragments to at least a stanza), I'll post 'em up! If I used any bit of Sappho for these, I'll include the original translated quote, with translator. I can throw out more fragments of my own, too ;)

"and on the eyes/black sleep of night' - Sappho, trans. Anne Carson

It starts before the moon rises
and fades to the stars flung farther
than the nearest sun -

morning light blinds
eyes still black with sleep of night.

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:20 am
bubblewrapped says...

Sappho! *flail* Have you read Sappho's Leap, by Erica Jong? It's what got me hooked on her poetry. Are you actually translating some of the original text? Because if so, I am totally jealous of you right now.

Ahem. Anyway. Lovely piece :) I will look forward to reading more!
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

488 Reviews

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:26 am
Meshugenah says...

Oh, lord no! I wish I was awesome enough to be translating her work, but alas. I found a translation at Borders, and since it wasn't too unreasonably priced - especially with the half-off store-closing deal, I jumped on it! I've been wanting to read her poetry since we talked about it in one of my medieval lit classes! I've just been scoring amazon for other versions to get! Any suggestions as to translators, while we're still fangirling? Anyway, no I haven't read that! It's now officially on my to-read list!

I <3 Rydia

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:51 am
bubblewrapped says...

Aw, too bad. Still! Sappho! TBH it's been a while so I don't remember the translators I read; because I am lazy I probably just googled XD Sappho's Leap is good, though *nods*
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

488 Reviews

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:23 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

This sums up my night (yeah, I do have more, but this is funnier):

sometimes, it's good
when the lighter-fluid
won't light.

I <3 Rydia

As a writer, I'm more interested in what people tell themselves happened rather than what actually happened.
— Kazuo Ishiguro