Young Writers Society

tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us

1228 Reviews

Reviews: 1228
Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:32 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Spoiler! :
So many strong moments in your napo so far Apricity! Always enjoy your work - and very much agree with Seirre that you definitely have some serious skills with making something that could sound so ordinary / inconsequential and making it poetic - like the coffee order poem especially!

In this last one, I love your use of the refrain at the beginning and end to book-end the poem, it sort of made me read the whole poem a second time through - and can be taken both lovingly, but ultimately bitterly. And also this line is so good: "i want to break us apart because what use is love when we're both blind to each other's light." <33

Looking forward to reading more! Thanks for writing!
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:22 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

Spoiler! :
@alliyah, that is so kind and lovely of you to say!!! AHHH I'm blushing, thank you so much for reading and writing such thoughtful commentary <3 I'm truly honoured
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

476 Reviews

Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:52 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

day 11 - an extended metaphor about lemonades

the first time i kissed a boy it was like drinking
flat lemonade, lukewarm, oddly bitter.
it had been left out in the sun for too long and
i'm not sure what i remember more,
the rough grass beneath my palms, his lips,
the soft thud of a basketball missing the hoop,
the trashcan 500m away
or the quicksand panic rising in my throat
of a summer caught in a solar eclipse.

i'm told, this is not how the story usually goes.
that lemonade carries the citrus sweetness of youth,
its sour uncertainty
giving way to the sweet effervescent rush of a heart (so full) to love.
when skin meets skin. but all i can think about is how the first time i opened
my heart (full of love), someone gouged it open and used it to paint their own red.
i think there are still pieces of my heart stitched somewhere on the ceiling of a person's heart chamber beating out a broken melody, waiting for an echo that would never match its own.
or maybe i'm wrong, maybe i damned my story when i was three,
my parents gave me money to go buy a lemonade from the corner store.
and i bought home the wrong lemonade. and they said, "how could you be so
stupid".
maybe that's when it all went wrong.
-
the dude on the court makes a shot at a hoop again, and this time
the ball swishes through the hoop, punctuating the ground
with a solid thud. the boy takes a sip of the lemonade out the corner of my eyes,
and i think about how the court lights make the edge of the trashcan
look like a glistening edge of a knife
sharp enough to cut apart the sun.

Spoiler! :
it's been a struggle to write poems on some of these days, but still carrying on. there are a lot of jumbled metaphors in this way, and most of it are about how early childhood traumas play out in our adult lives unknowingly. the idea for the poem came from a tiktok i saw, about an artist drawing a collage of things that felt like first love and she spoke about how it's a giddy rush, and one of the things she drew was sparkling water. Hence the lemonade.

it was very different to my first experience of a kiss or of a relationship, and i wanted to portray how jarring it is when your expectations of something don't match up against what mainstream media and popular culture says it should be. the poem focuses a lot on the minute details of her surroundings, and almost anything that wasn't the kiss.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

476 Reviews

Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:51 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

17 - oedipus

18+ for mentions of drug use and suicide

Spoiler! :
i'm not a believer of faith, because i never felt like
i needed to look for something to believe in.
in my youth, we
smoked on the roof of your car and you told me about the different kinds of weed
sativa, indica, ruderalis and i thought it was poetry. but really, it was an epilogue
in disguise to a story we should have never taken part in.
when we were together,
i kissed you with gin soaked lips and tequila eyes, because i'm not sure what love is
(so maybe this is it honey)-i can't feel anything at all, and maybe that's a blessing in disguise.
because otherwise maybe i wouldn't have been here at all.
it's past midnight and i'm skinny dipping in the ocean in june and believed it to be the moonlight in december- believing that when you said you would stay, and never leave.
it was as true as the sun in august. and when you left
i think i finally understood,
why peopled looked for something to believe in.

i'm not a gardener, and it's not because i don't
want to bloom flowers instead of bruises every time i touch something.
but i'm unsure of how to grow something anew, when all i see is red
on my hands from the cuts i've had to stitch together.
tiny scars
sedated in my palms, soothed barely by the promise they remain a memory and skeleton of the past. but i feel them throbbing every spring, waiting to rupture through the soil
maybe
if i try hard enough, i can pretend they're cardinals, waiting for spring to bloom
and when they do maybe this time
i'll just let them be
Previously Flite

~Open for business~

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:42 pm
View Likes
Quillfeather says...

Spoiler! :
Oh my gosh I somehow totally missed your thread until now, but gosh is it amazing! Not only is it very emotional and raw, you're not entirely obvious about it. It makes you feel it at such a deep level.

I just love your poetry so much I can't stop reading through them again. Amzing work! Goodluck (though you don't need it) finishing NaPo strong!
Was: Nicole136
And then: TrinityPoeting
Am now: Quillfeather

If you ever need to talk I am here for you<3

"All great change is preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra
Fight through the chaos, there are good things ahead<333

Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.
— J.K. Rowling