z

Young Writers Society

How'd you do?

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sat May 01, 2010 3:44 am
Kylan says...

So! Here we are! April 30th, the blessed end of the long distance sprint that is the National Poetry Writing Month challenge.

How'd you do?

Also, what did you learn? How did you improve? How did your poetry change, if at all?

I learned that I should never read one poet exclusively during NaPo, I learned that the perfect poem is a combination of head, heart, and imagery (hat tip to Navita), and I definitely felt my poetry changing to a certain degree, evolving over the course of the month.

It was also surprisingly difficult. I write nearly a poem a day to begin with, but the expectations of NaPo added a pressure that changed the atmosphere for me.

Anyway, let's hear it!

(PS: Does a Mod want to make this a sticky?)
Last edited by Kylan on Sat May 01, 2010 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat May 01, 2010 3:52 am
Elinor says...

Well, this was my first year doing it, and I thought it was going to be really easy, but it was hard. Even if my poems weren't the greatest, there were a few that I thought really shone! It was fun, and I was glad I was able to commit to something and finish it. I'll definitely do it next year.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

315 Reviews

Reviews: 315
Sat May 01, 2010 5:03 am
Navita says...

If I might use some biological/mathematical language to describe NaPo, I'd say it was a sigmoid curve, like the one for the population number of a species establishing in a new habitat as it gets closer and closer to carrying capacity, when resources become more scarce (now, that sounds like economics).

In short, it was a slow start, a fast middle and a slow finish. :lol:

I agree with Kylan about not reading one poet only in NaPo - it was so much fun to read everyone else's threads on here, along with a healthy range of many other poets; being exposed to so many different writing styles was not only inspiring, but also eradicated the monotony of reading my own writing for the whole time. Had I not joined YWS early on in April, I might never have discovered NaPo at all.

It became almost an obsession, at one point in time, of dreaming up more ideas, or delving into my memory or experiences for a poem. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't entirely sure I'd make it to the end when I began - but I've somehow ended up with a collection of eighty poems that need some serious reworking before I so much as think about calling them the anthology of April 2010.

I enjoyed it and I'll miss it - and, while I know I could carry on writing a poem a day, somehow it won't seem the same. I feel like I need a brief respite from poetry, like I need to concentrate on some other area for a while - I prefer short and intense spurts to long drawn-out ones, and although one month isn't quite long enough to be the end of my 'short burst', I would love a change.

But it's definitely taught me a lot about writing - and thank you to all those who took the time to write comments - they were most appreciated!

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat May 01, 2010 12:29 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

I learnt that I'm not supposed to try to please others when writing. I mean, it's amazing if someone likes what I've written, but I don't write solely for other people. I can always improve my writing and get better, but the most important thing is that I feel good about what I've written -- and this April I really did feel good about most of the poems I wrote.

I also discovered more about my own writing style and got to know it better. Moreover, I was able to look at my poems objectively, and this also helped me notice more bits that needed changing.

I think this will make me write more than I usually have, which hasn't been very much to begin with. Overall, I'm happy with my NaPo this year, and I'm eternally grateful to anyone who read and/or commented. :)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

245 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 245
Sat May 01, 2010 4:27 pm
sargsauce says...

I learned that all you people are splendid people capable of splendid work and are a good way to pass slow workdays.

And about myself? I noticed my writing has changed A LOT since 6-8 years ago (when I last wrote poems extensively). I used to take the time to detail imagery and make similes and really churn that stuff out. Now? All my stuff is mostly literal and I usually care only about making a point or telling a story. I enjoy reading imagery just fine in other people's work, but it's just not for me. I would sit down and try it a few times, but I just felt contrived, laborious, and like I'm beating around the bush--I could only manage in small doses.

I learned that raps are fun to write.

I'm quite happy with my NaPo overall, too. I will likely go back, edit all of them, print 'em out, and bind them together then dip back into them every now and then.

Well spoken, Navita. You start off slowly, wondering what you want to write about. You break the skin and think of a few experiences and say, "Yeah, that works." Then with it comes a deluge of life and emotions, until you squeeze out the last few drops (and wonder if those last few drops were worth it).

What's unfortunate is that I feel like I exhausted my life with it. 30 poems detailed the 30 most important things in my life...and now I have no choice but to start overlapping. Or take up jet-ski-motorcycle-hang-gliding-romantic-drama-gun-fights...of which you will soon see poems about in 3 months.

Random avatar

Reviews: 37
Sun May 02, 2010 12:51 am
View Likes
Helpful McHelpfulpants says...

I didn't finish! On the other hand, I wrote some poems that I am reasonably fond of, and this month reminded me why I love writing prose so much, and actually got me started back on prosing, so, a win overall.
Nunc lac est bibendum.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sun May 02, 2010 3:06 am
Kamas says...

5 poems. 5 poems and I would of finished. I'm quite disappointed.

I think I reversed myself actually. I went back to the short poems I'd worked to get away from. But I enjoyed writing them, specifically ones surrounding old memories and music. I'm not sure if or how I evolved but I'm glad I decided to do it.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sun May 02, 2010 4:42 am
Jas says...

I lasted three days. Yup. I only got to April 3rd. :( Lol
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Mon May 03, 2010 8:11 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

I got the whole thirty done. I learned that sticking to a strict form can be very rigid and not neccesarily benficial.(Thanks Jiggity!) I also learned that I can tell a loose story through connected poems and write completely as a character rather than using myself or elements of myself.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Wed May 05, 2010 2:45 am
perdido says...

I got 20 and I feel pretty satisfied, I think I got some good ideas and material out there, thanks everyone :)
my webcomic debuts eventually
http://vanmen.tumblr.com/
my blog updated occasionally
http://unmagnificent.wordpress.com/

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed May 05, 2010 2:48 am
Emerson says...

I failed pretty hard. Hahah. And as a result, I learned that school>writing most of the time. Which is a sad, sad thing.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri May 07, 2010 12:26 am
View Likes
tori1234 says...

I failed. :( I got to April 4th.....
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

News is not a game show. You don't win a car if you happen to be right.
— John Oliver