z

Young Writers Society

Report a site bug

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:44 pm
SemperAugustus says...

Hi,

I came across a problem where I couldn't publish a draft. I published the work previously but then saved it as a draft to make some minor changes. Afterwards the "Publish it" button was no longer there. Running Firefox 43.0.2.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:34 pm
Vervain says...

Hey! So I was recently making a wall post on The Writer Tournaments club, and this happened when I entered the date/time conversion code in the wall post and submitted the edit:
I originally had it set to a different date/time, and it did the same thing when I posted that, but I didn't think to screenshot it until it did that twice.

I tried the same thing on the People tab, posting something with the date/time code, and it came up with the same screen. In all three instances of this, the date I entered stuck, and the comments posted, there was just an odd interlude screen. For reference, of course, the code I entered:
Code: Select all
[date]01/04/2016 17:00 GMT[/date]
And I'm using Google Chrome version 46.0.2490.86 m.
stay off the faerie paths

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:28 pm
Nate says...

@SemperAugustus ->> What's the title of the work? I'll look into it.

@Arkhaion ->> Aye, that's an odd bug! I think what's going on is that the javascript the code produces causes the entire page to refresh, but I've never looked real deeply into it.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:02 pm
KaiTheGreater says...

*Is not tech savvy*
Using Firefox something, Windows... 8?
This problem has actually been going on for a while now (like a few years if I remember correctly) where the chatbar at the bottom of the screen won't work. It will show there's a new message, but when I click on it either nothing happens or it freezes for several seconds, and then nothing happens. I've had that issue on several laptops, various operating systems, and the one time it did work was when I was using a desktop (Firefox again, not sure of operating system), if that makes any difference.
I hope the world doesn't think I'm just being a terribly rude YWSer, or that I'm ignoring certain individuals. .-.
Formerly DragonLily and RoseAndThorn

425 Reviews

Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:41 pm
Nate says...

@dragonlily ->> Don't worry, the bug isn't limited to you! It's a common one that's caused by browser zooming.

To fix it, reset your browser's zoom level to 0. This can be done normally by hitting ctrl+0. On Firefox, you can also do it by going to 'View' in the menu bar (press 'alt' to bring up the menu bar), then go to Zoom ->> Reset.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:59 pm
KaiTheGreater says...

Cool, thanks!
Formerly DragonLily and RoseAndThorn

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:04 am
Zolen says...

Unsure why as I'm not using a ad block, proxy or anything, but no ads are showing up on this site, and only this site for me. They have not for the past week.

Would like to know whats going on.

Spoiler! :
If you think it might be a extension that's causing it, here's the active ones. http://puu.sh/mnw1M/646343d478.png
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:33 am
SkyeWalker says...

I have a problem on my computer with my chatbar... I think it may be a my computer thing, but basically what happens is when someone chats me, I can't see it. I hear the pop and see their name on the chat bat, but the chat screen doesn't pop up. And then when I go to click on it, it won't pop up. What I have to do to get it to pop up is click on someone else's name so that their window pops up (This only works if there is another person's name on the chat bar, however) and click on the original person's name. Then I can chat them. I have it all figured out, but I figured it would be good to let you know.

I use Firefox, if that's helpful. And Windows 8, I think.
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

425 Reviews

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:32 am
Nate says...

@Zolen ->> Since it's only affecting YWS, I'm not quite sure what it could be. All the possibilities I can think of would affect other sites too, such as blocking advertisers with the hosts file, signing up with Google Contributor, or a filter on your router.

You by no means have to, but if you don't mind it would help to see the network log for when you load a YWS page. To pull it up:

1. Press shift+F5. This will display the developer tools. Click on the network tab.

2. Refresh the page (any YWS page will do). You'll see the network box display something like this:
network.png

3. Right-click anywhere in the network box, and choose "Copy all as HAR." Open a text editor, and select paste. This will copy and paste the contents of the network box in array format. Save it, then send it to me via PM.

@Reneia ->> I'm not sure it'll work, but try resetting your browser's zoom level to 0. You can do this by pressing ctrl + 0. You can also do it by pressing alt, which will bring up the menu bar, then by choosing 'Zoom' under the 'View' menu, and then press reset.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:35 am
SemperAugustus says...

Hi Nate,

the title of my work is Beyond -- Chapter 1. But republishing doesn't seem to be working for any of my drafts.

Thanks.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:21 pm
View Likes
Love says...

Hello! A few things I noticed, in order of decreasing importance ^^

1. It's a known fact that users who haven't done 5 reviews don't have access to the chatbar. But! The rest of us can still see them online. This means that the Who's Online list shows users who are online, but who can't actually communicate. This does lead to situations where one messages another, but the other person doesn't reply (since they can't!), leading to confusion! It'd be greatly appreciated if users who can't use the chatbar aren't listed as online on the chatbar!

2. On the People tab, when making a hashtag, if the hashtag contains any capital letters then clicking on it will lead to an empty page. If one then changes the URL to search for the lowercase hashtag, though, then the relevant posts show up.
For example, let's say there are two posts: one tagged with #mohit, and another with #mohiT. Clicking on the second tag displays no posts, while clicking on the first tag displays both posts.

3. When viewing all posts in the People's tab, one can't actually go all the way back without receiving an SQL error. Just thought I should mention it!
I was Amareth :)

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:08 pm
BrumalHunter says...

I tried to submit my latest chapter for LMS II, but both times, I was left with the following link:
~ work.php?id=0

Usually, it says "Click here to go to [insert work's name]", but this time, it only said "Click here to go to" and then it was blank. I checked, and I did complete all the necessary fields for the submission. Is the folder full, or what?
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:14 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

@SemperAugustus ->> It looks like what happened is the work was set to private in the options area (to access the options, first go to edit the work, then click on save changes). I went ahead and changed it to public & updated the published time so that it's been bumped to the top of the Green Room. I apologize for the delay in sorting this out for you.

@heather ->> Thanks for letting me know about the first problem! I think someone said something about it before, but it slipped my mind. I'll go ahead and look into a fix for that. I'll check out the third problem as well.

The second problem is something I've looked into multiple times, and each time I "fix" it, I just end up introducing new bugs. Due to the way YWS is set up, it's difficult to enable hashtag linking without messing up a whole host of stuff. But, thank you for reporting it!

@AstralHunter ->> That's definitely odd. It should be showing up in your portfolio in the Publishing Center at least, but if it's not, let me know.

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:30 pm
BrumalHunter says...

I checked in the folder where it was supposed to be, but nothing new was there. I checked the Unsorted folder too with similar results. I'll try again tomorrow to see whether the points are deducted. (And maybe the glitch works itself out.)
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

425 Reviews

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:09 pm
Nate says...

@AstralHunter ->> What's the title for the work? The latest one I see in the lit work database is "The Adventures of Darren Cassidy - Chapter Seven, Part Eight - Not so Great Expectations."

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
— Alvin Toffler