z

Young Writers Society

aged cheese

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:18 pm
Shady says...

Ayee guess that means I've finally stumbled on actually American foods ;) It's actually really interesting traveling abroad! In Thailand I took every last American meal I could find since I was, again, really struggling with the food culture shock. And in Thailand, American chains are close enoughhhhh to satisfy but aren't actually like American fast-food chains are here, even though they're the same name. Like, the taste and some of the food choices are completely different. And also some of the local restaurants we would go to -- most were in Thai so we'd just point and hope for the best -- but some would have both Thai and English descriptions. And there was one called "American Breakfast" and I got SO excited and then looked at the components and I didn't know what 70% of the food was xD It was not, in fact, an American breakfast lol

Biscuits and gravy is AMAZING! Gosh, talking about this is reminding me of all the food I can make haha. I am absolutely terrible at cooking but biscuits and gravy are also really quick and easy to make and are delightful. Highly recommend. But I've heard "biscuits" in Europe are cookies, so dunno if you'd be able to find biscuit-biscuits haha

But yeah I hateeee cooking but grilled cheese and tomato soup takes under 15 minutes including prep and cooking and clean up. Takes longer to eat than it does to cook haha.

I am not a big sausage person, but I know some people eat frankfurters (we just call them franks haha) and bratwursts (brats haha) -- brats are often a hot-dog alternative at cook-outs and sometimes franks, too. We also have smoked sausage. There's also andouille sausage, but that's only down in Louisiana.

I've never heard of onion cake but it looks amazing and now I want one! And we have quiches... I don't know that I'd say they're necessarily rare -- I'd say most people have had/heard about them -- but I didn't have one until I was an adult and have only had them a few times since, so they're not super common, either. That was actually one of the weird things about Thailand (to me) -- KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) here has a side of mac and cheese that is absolutely delightful. I occasionally get cravings for it even when I'm here. So when I saw a KFC in Thailand I was like !!!! mac and cheese time !!!! and was SO excited to go -- and they had egg-tart for sides instead of mac and cheese. And it was fine. But I was so sad xD

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:44 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Oh yeah, that´s neat that English is offered in some places. That was nice when I was in Spain or in Poland (besides the few words I knew of the local language). But every time you get Mystery Menu. :D

Yeah, biscuits are cookies and every time I hear biscuits I think of these British After eight things that I don´t like.

Oh no, why are you eating Frank!? xD Can say the same with Hamburgers. I guess Louisiana has still some influences from France. Andouille is common in France.

Mac´n´cheese. I read that everywhere and my stomach is always doing a merry-go-round when thinking about it. I don´t know why. xD

Do you have Haribo? These are gummy bears from Germany. What kind of desserts are common in the US?
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:49 pm
Shady says...

Yeah, Louisiana has a LOT of French influence -- very Cajun and Creole still. It's delightful <3 Hands down my favorite state I've been to so far (and I'm nearing 30 lol)

WAIT HAVE YOU NEVER HAD MAC AND CHEESE?!?! Say it ain't so...

And yes! We do! You saying that actually just reminded me of a pack of gummy bears my roommate got me that I should eat soon haha

I guess there's a variety of desserts. As far as candy goes, Hershey company chocolates are really popular -- like Hershey bars and Reese's and Twizzlers. And then there are a lot from the Mars company, like Milky Ways, M&Ms, Skittles, Snickers, and Twix. I'm sure I'm probably forgetting a lot of others in there, but I would say these are the "safest" bets if you're getting candy for someone you don't know very well haha. Do you have any of these?

[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:55 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

I think I already wrote that I won´t go to Louisana thanks to Resident Evil, but still, it´s like that special child you still want to see. xD

Never had Mac´n´Cheese. I don´t know why.

Most of these I know, but I don´t think we have Reese or Twizzlers. I´m not really into these chocolate things but I do love candy like Haribo. Or Marzipan, chestnuts, liquorice and cake.

I guess that depends also regional like the South prefer other candies than the North. Is there some kind of rivalry between the states, where there is that one state, that nobody likes because of its food?

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:39 pm
Shady says...

You should make mac n cheese it's wonderful ;-;

And aha hmm that's a tough question... I'd say some people have strong opinions about some foods from some states haha but it's not like "X state hates Y state because of their food"

Like, @alliyah eats absolutely abhorrent combinations of foods xD And then there's the scrapple I mentioned that I highkey judge Pennsylvania for... and tea tends to be a BIG thing, which I don't understand haha I hate all kinds of tea, but in the south sweet tea is very, very, very sweet -- and I guess in the north it's not? People get very offended if their tea isn't the appropriate level of sweetness to suit them.

And then New York fights with Chicago about who has the better pizza, and collectively they judge the rest of the nation for our pizza but to most of the people I know, pizza is just pizza, and we don't care.

I'm trying to think and I can't actually put my finger on anything specific (aside from the pizza) that I would identify as "this is a Northern food" -- but there are plenty of things that are Southern foods that apparently aren't common in the North, and I'm sure the same is true in reverse -- but I grew up in the South so I can't really speak much to that, since, y'know, if I was familiar with the food then it wouldn't be a difference haha

[they/he]

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:45 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

You guys make me think about milk tart, so good with cinnamon on top and mielietert or corn tart, that being corn bread I think.

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:46 pm
Shady says...

omg this makes me want to make a list of foods I need to try haha that looks yummy

[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:35 pm
MailicedeNamedy says...

Maybe I should start cooking.

Like, @alliyah eats absolutely abhorrent combinations of foods xD

Nothing is more abhorrent than combining sauerkraut with gravy. What kind of food? :D

Isn´t American pizza like 99 % dough (which isn´t bad, I like dough), 0,9 % cheese and 0,1 % rest? xD

That´s fascinating actually. There should really be an American Shop with these things. That would probably be a nice business idea.

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:15 pm
Shady says...

haha I don't know that that is a fully fair breakdown of pizza xD But yes primarily crust

Also I can't get the grilled cheese off my mind so I'mma make one soon xD

[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:16 pm
MailicedeNamedy says...

Also one for me.

We should offer that now in the Tavern.

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:17 pm
Shady says...

Yes!

[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:17 pm
MailicedeNamedy says...

Indeed

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:18 pm
Shady says...

You know what? My internet is annoying me enough that 1) I'm probably hangry and 2) I'mma go get some delectable grilled cheese and tomato soup

[they/he]

1232 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:19 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Not before I hit 5.000 posts! Plz xD

935 Reviews

Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:39 pm
Shady says...

Hahaha the hunger cannot be tamed 😂

[they/he]

have u ever noticed how ugly rosy-lipped batfish r? and not like in the “aw ur so ugly ur cute” way that like opossums r — no they’re just hideously ugly beasts that should never have existed and r the epitome of evolution fails. the stupidity, blank look, head emptiness. they’re horrible n everyone who likes them r horrible too. they truly have the worst fan-base >:[
— Shady