z

Young Writers Society

A review on Chetan Bhagat; a writer and a youth icon wannabe

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:42 am
ShakespeareWallah says...

[deleted]
Last edited by ShakespeareWallah on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:33 pm
Niebla says...

Hey Puckerman,

This isn't a bad review. I can't say whether I agree with you or not, as I've never read any of Chetan Bhagat's books, but I think you've made some points which sounds plausible in here -- though they could probably do with a little more explaining, and it could use some more of those points.

Firsty, suggest that you seperate out the paragraphs. I know that it's just because they sometimes clump together for some reason when you post, but it would make it easier on the eyes for any readers.

Secondly, I did notice a few errors which I'll just correct quickly so that you can see what they are:

.here’s the truth, they DON’T DO THAT.

This sentence just bothers me slightly. First of all, start with a capital letter (although I can tell that's just a typing error). Also, it just bothers me slightly how you've gone into capitals. That's probably just personal opinion. Maybe just use normal lowercase letters and add an exclamation mark at the end?

And lastly, you’re a good writer Mr. bhagat.

Again, this is clearly just a typing error but it should be "Mr. Bhagat."

I think that's all! I'd just go over the little errors, all of the points and try and think about exactly what you're trying to say. Then you can find the best ways possible to explain it to the reader.

~MorningMist~

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:54 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey, Pucker! :)

Nice review, good job. I'd agree with Mist though that you could split your work in paragraphs more neatly.

Actually, writing them in bullets can be the best way. :)

So, yes, I agree with you completely that he's not totally a youth icon even though he likes portraying himself like that. But the sadder thing is the fact that people even accept him like that. Personally, using slang language in his books and writing about filthy feelings of teenagers doesn't make him one with true understanding of the youth, I feel.

Besides, his characters are like so weird. I never feel anything with them-pathetic people.

Also, if I have to pick up his books, none of them are really different from one another. There's nothing which differentiates them from one another.

Personally, I don't like Chetan Bhagat. He caters to the reading audience having low literature sense and vocabulary. That's what I feel, no offense.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:22 pm
Lava says...

Heya!

I have to agree with Mia there.
I read his books, because they were there, and I was always left with a sense of mehness.

"He caters to the reading audience having low literature sense and vocabulary." Amen to that.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:18 pm
murtuza says...

Yo, Puckerman!

This is a great debate that you've laid out for us regarding the plight of Chetan Bhagat's supposedly 'Best-Selling English Novels in India's History'. You've covered a lot of valid points and I do agree with you on plenty of the stuff. I'm currently still in the process of reading 'Revolution 2020' (I've covered nearly 16 chapters of it) and I'm personally quite interested in the unfolding of the plot.

Yup, he's definitely not a 'Youth Icon' as people play him out to be. I don't really think that he's proclaimed himself as being one. But the general hype and speculation of unanimous public voting and media do contribute to that 'fact'. Since his novels involve India in its modern time and also follow the stories of young protagonists who chase after love and dreams and success, it's plain to see why many claim that he's one with the youth and that he can actually relate to them in pen and paper. I personally think he's captured the juvenile mind quite well and he's interpreted the situations very well in his works. But then again, that's just me :)

But yes, Chetan has a way of introducing romance and drama into his novels quite well. Though some of his humour might sound a bit too overly simple and sometimes slightly too crass, it doesn't hide the fact that he's still got his own unique way with words and that there's an audience (whether slightly less literate or not).

But if Chetan Bhagat should be credited with doing some good, it would be that he has influenced a major number young adults into picking up an English novel which (which nowadays, in the midst of pop-culture mostly coming from mediums other than Books) is quite an achievement in itself. So maybe these readers might not have the same literary or logical mind mature enough to understand a Paulo Coelho or Dan Brown piece, but at least they are encouraged enough to sit and go through a few pages of a simplified English literary experience. And not without being left with a gripping story that's like a Bollywood film and having morals so deep rooted.

I definitely do agree with you on the first-person narrative that he's always got going on. I dislike that because when I know the character well enough, it's hard for me to break away from the attachment I have towards him. And when other characters suddenly appear who have seemingly nobler qualities, but have limited space for description, it all seems very unfair. But all of this is most notably because in his prologues, Chetan Bhagat is either the one who describes what happens or is being told about it as an anecdote by another character.

I enjoyed reading '2 States'. And the only other novel of his I've read was '3 Mistakes of My Life'. '3 Mistakes...' wasn't really as fun to read. And I'm quite sure that he's recycled the names of his characters because I'm sure that there was a Gopi in the '3 Mistakes....' too. xD

But in the end, not everyone needs to be a fan just because he's popular. The seasoned veteran readers of much acclaimed authors might think differently towards Chetan Bhagat's novels, saying that it's immature or that he doesn't bring out the English language to its fullest. And I can understand why they would think so. But Chetan Bhagat did not set out to write his books with the hope that they be widely accepted throughout the vast majority of the present audience.

A show about hating popular national personalities saw Chetan Bhagat being the subject of hate. At the end of the episode, he went on to say something that I think every writer should listen to. I'm not sure whether he's derived this saying from someone else, but it still gives an insight into the world of Authoring.

He said, "For a writer, it's like death if your work isn't noticed. Let it be hated, let it be loved. But if the whole world doesn't even know of its existence, then that just means you've not done a proper job of being an author.".......or something very similar to that tone xD

Great insights, Puck! Thanks for sharing your views ^.^

Murtuza
:)
Last edited by murtuza on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:20 am
ShakespeareWallah says...

Thanks everyone...i appreciated your views.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:25 am
AlfredSymon says...

Hi Puck! So this is Alfred for a Kudos Review!

It's quite hard to review a review, but I think that your review is worth my review ;)

I've never read an Indian book before, and I'm not sure if you're referring them to the readers (obviously including me). But from the sound of it, you really put passion into reading books. It's really great to have people who collects and puts much interest in a book. And giving a pessimistic review is a bold act, so let's see if you gain a Like from me.

Well, for starters, presentation really matters! So try to add more white spaces to your piece to make it more clearer and easier to read, and so it wouldn't be a shock for its first-time readers!

Paragraphs: Matters more than presentation. The first paragraph was okay, but the second was a bit too looooong. I think it's best if you can cut that paragraph into four, since you used 'secondly, 'thirdly' etc. giving each part a different topic, extracted from the main idea, but still stays coherent, so that can organize your ideas and also follow the presentation advice I gave.

revolution 2020

A title should be capitalized!

Yes, he’s the best-selling English language novelist in India’s history but still I personally never took a liking at his work.

I like this line! It sounds like it came from a news or something. Effect and impact was present! But I think a comma between between history and but can give more emphasis.

So here it goes.

No need for this, try to use other literary transitions because writing this can make the speaker a bit naive. You'll notice that in my reviews, I always put this line. This is because I want to act childish and naive!

Mr. Bhagat, we know people call you a youth icon but the sad thing is you’re not. There’s nothing motivational about your books. They don’t get the reader worked up and it gets a bit boring whenever you go about the system being wrong. Its not that you say wrong things, it’s just that you somehow choose the wrong character to express your feelings. You can tell a tale very nicely so stick with it. The plot of your novels stays very good as long as you don’t blabber about the system being wrong.

The sentences were to cut. Try combining some so that readers can understand and read it better! Irony... ;)

here’s the truth, they DON’T DO THAT.

I'm very sorry, but, I'm quite confused...I'm not sure if you like his works or not. Because on the first few lines, you Dislike, then at the corner end, you Like. Since you used 'secondly' and other ordinals, all paragraphs (or parts in this piece's case) should all be coherent and should lie on one basic concept. I had a hard time reading if your pro or con, too, because you were, no offense, a bit too harsh in critiquing, saying that he has issues and problems, then you moved into liking him, which was weird. I also didn't get who were you talking to because on the first few lines, you talked to the reader, then you spoke to Bhagat. All this ideas can make a great impact on how readers interpret your work, so BEWARE!

Also, it's a bit to protesting. I know it's your opinion, but let's be calm on these things! Breathe in and out!

My advice, read and proof again. There is a hefty number of bugs to be fixed, so read!

But don't get me wrong, I really Like it.

Your new reader,
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:13 pm
Dreamy says...

I'm an Indian,so I guess I will have the reason so as to why we like him so much.
Firstly, only by reading his book did I come to know about IIT(Indian Institute of Technology) quite frankly. And IIT was seen as if it is an Indian Harvard. The students from all over the state wanted to study in it. The students who failed in it killed themselves so in that period of time he came out openly with the truth behind those walls which we see them with an awe,i.e Five point someone. The same goes with his third novel "One night at the call center."
I agree with your point that he is not exceptional and that he always says the wrong doings of the government but the incidents mentioned in his novels were not known to me until I read his books.And he is definitely trying hard to be an youth icon but I should say that though he is boring, he is making his point somewhat hardly on us.
And lastly, his (last novel) was not a hit because he concentrated more on the wrong doings which was bit annoying and the portrayal of his heroine was too dramatic. The dramatism which made the villan Gopal Mishra the hero. And in his entitle "Love,Corruption,Ambition", he made love -sick,corruption his main plot and Ambition his tool.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
— W. A. Nance