78%
no
22%

Total votes : 9

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:14 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

Hey has any1 read the book the DaVinci code.I did did any1 notice that it was kind of hard 2 tell the facts from the fiction :?: ive read stuff on the backround of it and Dan Brown kind of stretched the facts

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:16 pm
Firestarter says...

Yeh, I read it.

I liked it, but it wasn't very well written. All Dan Brown did was grab some extreme theories going round about the Holy Grail, and put them in a book. He put some inoffensive characters in, used italics a lot, did some average description, and let the very interesting theories sell the book.

And it worked.

But don't believe anything in the book. Most of it is lies. Though, if you look at the Last Supper painting, you can almost believe.....
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

38 Reviews

Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:25 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

firestarter ive read into a lot of backround about that theory.Like since Christ was from the house of david the house of david members were by law required to marry and that it back in those days would be very odd not to marry.and theres so many books out there on that kind of stuff like th knights templar and the priory of sion.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:38 pm
Firestarter says...

King David has no basis in fact. He is more of a mythological figure created by the Bible, like KIng Solomon. The House of David was created afterwards. That doesn't really have any relevance!

Anyway, I'm just saying don't jump on the bandwagon and believe this stuff because it's in a book. There are many other books on this theory, yes. There is no evidence, however, that the Priory of Sion has anything to do with the Grail, and neither does Opus Dei. It's just a conspiracy. Don't be one of those people that believes it just because it sounds right.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:37 am
iced.cappuchino says...

Firestarter wrote:I liked it, but it wasn't very well written. All Dan Brown did was grab some extreme theories going round about the Holy Grail, and put them in a book. He put some inoffensive characters in, used italics a lot, did some average description, and let the very interesting theories sell the book.

Amen.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:55 am
Sam says...

I read it...i thought it was pretty interesting. I'm trying to do a bit of research to separate fact from fiction, but it's still a great story in my opinion anyway. There are so many conspiracies, lies, plots...that kind of thing, it keeps you guessing! :D

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:55 pm
Tessitore says...

It was interesting, but what a lot of people don't understand is that this book is FICTIONAL... there's a lot of chaos theory and just plain guesses, though he does present them in a way that seems highly factual, and some of the stuff that he points out ARE facts. That's always neat. But you really have to weed through it all and figure out what's what.

I'm going to read Angels and Demons this year, since I heard it is much better, but we'll see.

I do think it was an awesome book, though.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

38 Reviews

Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:15 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

sam im also doing some research of my own to

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:35 am
niteowl says...

Angels and Demons IS soo much better! Here is the Recipe for The Da Vinci Code:

1)Take Angels and Demons
2) Replace the Illuminati with The Priory of Sion
3) Replace Leonardo Vetra with Jaques Sauniere
4) Replace the Hassassin with Silas.
5) Replace the camarlengo with Teabing
6) Replace Vittoria with Sophie
7) Replace the Roman police with the Parisian police.
8) Replace CERN with The Louvre
9) Replace the whole science v. religion thing with The Holy Grail.
10) Replace Bernini with Da Vinci.

No I'm serious, the plots are so alike. They even have similar twists!
And they are both named after something that appears in the beginning.

But of course both are worth reading because they're good and they raise interesting questions. I'm reading Secrets of Angels and Demons right now. It is very interesting, even if it pretty much dismisses the book as conspiracy theory.

You should probably read Angels and Demons first as it comes first and it kind of helps you understand how Robert Langdon became a celebrity.

In other news, is anyone else upset that of all the 40-something actors that are out there, they chose TOM HANKS!!!!! Hello! The magazine makes a reference to him as "Harrison Ford in Harris tweed." Who do you think that implies? Hmm...

Plus does Tom Hanks look like he swims 40 laps every day? :roll:
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:04 am
Crysi says...

My friend is letting me borrow The DaVinci Code.. it's pretty good so far. If I like it, I'll read Angels and Demons next.
Love and Light

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:35 am
Elelel says...

One of my parents have/are reading the Da Vinci Code (probably mum, dad think fictional books are boring... honestly!), I've seen it hovering around the place. I need to nah it and read it sometime.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:37 am
Meshugenah says...

I've only read angels and demons.. still have to read davinci code.. once finals are over! A&D was really good, though

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:42 pm
MasterChief says...

i read this and gave it to my grandma for christmas (she has a degree in religion and theology) and she believed parts of it but i had to tell her that it is just a wild leap from militant conspiracy theories to the da vinci holy grail.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:28 am
DarkerSarah says...

Firestarter:
I liked it, but it wasn't very well written.

My thoughts exactly.

The plot was fairly good. I mean, the religious history was interesting, but it would have been more interesting had it had some credit to it. He mentioned the Dead Sea scrolls? They don't mention Mary Magdalene! You can't expect people to take your facts for truth, if they aren't all true, you know?

But it was a quick, light, read, and now I can say that I've read it, and have conversations about how boring Brown's writing style is with others who have read it.

-Sarah[/quote]

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:39 am
Ego says...

Tessitore wrote:It was interesting, but what a lot of people don't understand is that this book is FICTIONAL... there's a lot of chaos theory and just plain guesses, though he does present them in a way that seems highly factual, and some of the stuff that he points out ARE facts. That's always neat. But you really have to weed through it all and figure out what's what.

I'm going to read Angels and Demons this year, since I heard it is much better, but we'll see.

I do think it was an awesome book, though.

I agree totally....you really have to have an open mind reading it, or you'll get offended really easily...

oh yeah, BTW, Angels and Demons is, IMO, better than Da Vinci Code.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Find wonder in the everyday, find everyday language to articulate it.
— Maurice Manning