z

Young Writers Society

The Classics- Recommendations

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:30 pm
Sam says...

We have to read classics this year for book reports!

So far I've got on my To Read list:

Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott
1984, by George Orwell
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brönte

And I was also going to get The Red Badge of Courage, but I forgot who wrote that. Any suggestions? (Please don't base them on the fact that I'm twelve. I read anything.)
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:05 pm
Fool says...

Classics!! wow, i would recomend Charles Dickens to you, but i can't stand reading his books, so i wont recomend him. You can go for things like Wuthering Heights by one of the other Bronte's, or Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, i think anyway, is a classic. But on the other hand Peter Pan is a classic, just for a difference audience.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:22 pm
Rei says...

If it was published at least one hundred years ago, it qualifies as a classic.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:33 pm
Fool says...

darn it, Peter Pan was published in 1911, so if you wait 6 years you could do a report on it then, The Three Musketeers was first published in 1844.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

1258 Reviews

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:50 pm
Sam says...

Meh, my English teacher's really laid back...and I think 1984 was written in the thirties, am I correct?

- Demetri Martin

685 Reviews

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:56 pm
Rei says...

Well, the way people define a classic changes from person to person. Some may say fifty and some may say seventy-five. But I was taught that it was one hundred years.

1258 Reviews

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:57 pm
Sam says...

*shrugs* Know any good ones, then, Rei? :D

- Demetri Martin

685 Reviews

Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:25 pm
Rei says...

Not too fond of classic lit myself. Though A Christmas Carrol is all right.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:23 am
Areida says...

A classic isn't necessarily defined by the number of years it's been around. There's no "set number" of years. Don't the Lord of the Rings count as classics oftentimes?

Red Badge of Courage I think was by Stephen Crane.

So... as for suggestions...

East of Eden, John Steinbeck (I think you'd like this one. Kind of reminds me of your style of writing.)
The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexander Dumas (Dry at times, but it only took me about a week to get through reading kind of slowly)
The Iliad, Homer (Okay, so I don't know if your teacher is counting epic poetry or whatever, but that's a good one.)

I'm brain dead. That's all I got right now, LOL.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:18 am
Meshugenah says...

I'll second East of Eden it was really good. I'll also second Pride and Prejudice it was actually really funny..

I didn't care for Jane Eyre, personally.. A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens was alright, though.

still need to read 1985.. been meaning to. Same with Red Badge of Courage (and yeah, its Stephen Crane), and apparently dad has a copy, so that gets read after Catch-22 (but I don't think that qualifies as a classic.. does it?)
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:24 am
antigone says...

I liked the Three Musketeers. And I dunno... Rudyard Kipling is awesome. Is he classic?
Siempre, siempre: jardin de mi agonia,
tu cuerpo fugitivo para siempre,
la sangre de tus venas en mi boca,
tu boca ya sin luz para mi muerte.

-From 'Del amor imprevisto', Federico Garcia Lorca

Reviews: 3
Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:27 am
alcina says...

I read classics all the time but the one that i love "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde. I think its called that, I just call it Dorian Gray. I've read it more then 10 times, I think its a great book.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:27 am
bubblewrapped says...

I couldnt finish Jane Eyre - I knew the ending and I hated Jane...UGH! What a simpering ninny! But Wuthering Heights is great - really creepy in parts. So passionate. Also (I havent read all of these, but...): Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy, The Moonstone, Wilkie Collins, The Mill on the Floss, Thomas Hardy, Far From the Madding Crowd, Thomas Hardy, The Thornbirds (author ???)....I could think of more but you might be better googling it. Oh and I definitely recommend Pride & Prejudice - one of my faves! And A Room With a View, E. M. Forster. House of Mirth, Edith Wharton....
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:29 am
bubblewrapped says...

I've read Emma (Jane Austen) several times too...its great.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:03 am
hawk says...

Alcina: The Picture of Dorian Gray, definitely, but it can get a little messy.

The Adventures of Huckelberry Finn would have to be my suggestion, especially for young readers.

Dickens, yeah... but the books are very long-winded, and not everyones favourite. I didn't really like them.
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

"And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
— Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland