z

Young Writers Society

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:35 pm
Tessitore says...

If you've never read a Stephen King book...
If you've read a Stephen King book and don't particularly like him...
If you're a die-hard Stephen King fan...

YOU MUST READ THIS SERIES.

There are seven books in all;
1 The Gunslinger
2 The Drawing of the Three
3 Waste Lands
4 Wizard and Glass
5 Wolves of the Calla
6 Song of Susannah
7 The Dark Tower

These stories are long, they are complicated, but they are the center piece for every work of fiction that Stephen King has ever written and, for that, I commend him.

Now they're strange, they're sickening, but the stories themselves are awesome.

If you don't want to pick up the books, I urge you to listen to the audio book version. Nothing gives you stranger dreams then listening to these books before going to bed.

I just finished book seven, and I'm flabbergasted. If anyone else out there has--speak to me! The story is burning a hole in my head...
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:42 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Anyone who isn;t a Stephen King fan must actually be crazy, I'm classed as a die-hard fan I believe; although I haven't read The Dark Tower series. Would it be a recommended read? I have to say I've seen it in stores and such. but just haven't really had the motivation to buy it and read. I guess I thought that Stephen King doing a series of books was just a little strange for my liking. Although, I applaud him a lot.

The part about the stories being sickening and strange; have you not noticed this in other books he has written? Stehpen wouldn't be King if his stories weren't strange and petrifying, I have had countless nightmares because of Salem's Lot.

Lisey's Story is the most recent book I've read; and it's his newest, and it actually took my breath away. His use of language and the way he delves into the minds of the two main characters is riviting and it is perhaps the most passionate of his books I have read so far. All I can say is; I cried a little.

The Tommyknockers is fabulous; a pretty sick book of his, although comparing that to Tha Dark Tower is something I can't do at the moment. I'm watching the DVD at the minute, but have only got five chapters in. Hmm...

I might go out and buy The Dark Tower series soon...
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:38 pm
EnchantressMuffin says...

I've never actually read a Stephen King novel... I can't say I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'll post the smiley anyway. :oops:

So tell me... what makes these stories so awesome? They're horror, right? What if I don't like horror? Should I read them anyway?

:P

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:21 pm
GingerLizzy says...

It's not mainly the horror that makes the novels so addictive/fabulous/all around good. It;s the way that he makes his way into the readers mind and makes them feel either truly afraid or petrified. I have had multiple nightmares just from his fluent emotions which he adds to his stories.

And the ideas; out of this world! I'd say you should read them merely for the experience, because you'll see that as soon as you begin, horror meekly lurks in the shadows, whereas the characters and emotions jump out at you in an awesome phsycological experience.

Whoa, I'm out of breath from all that now. Very deep. XD
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:53 pm
Fishr says...

Hmmm.... The Green Mle Series was great so I may look into this series as well.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 am
alleycat13 says...

I saw this topic and was *ahh* my people!

The Dark Tower Series was one of the best series of books I've ever read. Yes, I agree with the complicated, sickening part, but the central theme- the quest for the Tower-- the characters, oh my goodness! :shock:

I love it!

My step-dad is a serious Stephen King fan. I mean die-hard to the core. He has every book ever written (and some audios too) by Stephen King. Most of them are first editions too. They are all in a ceiling high bookcase in our living room.

One thing I gained from having a serious fan introduce me to this series is appreciation for our generation's access to these books. The Gunslinger was first published as a novel in 1982; The Dark Tower came out in 2004. Look at the time between those dates. Constant Readers all over the world have waited for years, and I(we) got to read the whole series back-to-back.

I forget which one it is (Waste Lands ?) where there are letters to King included in the back. One of them is from a woman dying of cancer. She wanted to know if Roland ever reached the Tower. Of course, King didn't know yet, and that woman probably died not knowing. Kinda makes me appreciate my good luck.

So, I recommend this series to all readers.
Thankee-sai!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:15 am
Swires says...

Ive read the first two books and simply haven't had time with all my other reading to fit in the rest of the series. I loved them though, they are pieces of art - if you like fast paced stories however I would NOT recommend these books.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:31 am
Luxor says...

Oh-my-Riza, do you have any idea how often I've sung the Rice Dance song to myself in class? While I thought Wolves of the Calla was slow, and I do have a bone to pick with King because of how unrealistically a certain multi-story character was killed off, these books have made me the most excited I've been about anything in years. Roland is such a fascinating character.
If there's ever a meat shortage, eat this profile; it's full of balogna.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:56 pm
Tessitore says...

EnchantressMuffin wrote:So tell me... what makes these stories so awesome? They're horror, right? What if I don't like horror? Should I read them anyway?

It's not just a horror genre... it is intrigue, mystery, romance, thriller. There is so much--so very, very much--wrapped up in these seven books that words can barely describe it. If you have the patience, and the time, they are worth the read simply because they are so deliciously complex. There are characters in these books that touch on the mind and heart of millions of people in their personality and traits. There is the quest, above all, and the unending desire to see ones goals fulfilled.

Sometimes you want to put the books down and walk away for a few months, and that's OK, but you must--simply must--read them.

What alleycat wrote is very true--we must all appreciate our good luck. So many fans of this series which spanned such a long time (Gunslinger was originally published in 1978 in a small edition short-story magazine--imagine what those are worth now!) and so many fans were unable to finish it before they passed into the clearing. What a wonderful thing that we are able to pick up each of the books in turn and flip through them at our leisure.

They are a must-read.

Here's something fun; when Stephen King published Gunslinger in the short-story magazine, he later included 'Gunslinger' in his listing of "Other Books" under one of his next novels. So many fans wrote to the publisher asking where this 'Gunslinger' book came from that the publisher had to put it into print. They were so furious at Stephen King for including the book on his list! Imagine what might have happened if SK had not included it, if there was not such a swelling of persons interested, we may not even have it today.
I'm not even angry... I'm being so sincere right now.
Even though you broke my heart.
And killed me... And tore me to pieces.
And threw every piece into a fire.
-"Still Alive"- GLaDOS

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:03 am
Cblotnicky says...

I read the first four books in about two months, and then school started up again... and two years later I have yet to finish The Wolves of the Calla, which is unfortunate, because they're awesome books.

I like Stephen Kings twisted mind, lol- he just lets it go wherever it wants to, and you get lost in this maze of intense and exhilerating stories. Theres a major climax in every scene, it's amazing.

The fourth was my favourite so far- I loved the mix of romance/drama/excitement, and the way you can make connections between the book and the real world. It's excellent.

Yes, definitely, anyone who hasn't read this series, should!

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:16 am
Insomnia says...

You know, I think I've read pretty much every book Stephen King has done - except for the Dark Tower series. I don't know why, but I just can't get into them. He's my favourite author, and I have the revised edition of The Gunslinger beside my bed somewhere, but I can't force myself to read it. I've tried several times, still no luck.

That seems really strange to me. There's only a couple of his other books that I don't like, and possibly it's just The Gunslinger that irritates me, but I can't see myself finishinh it any time soon.

This thread makes me want to, though. I may have to go start reading it again tonight...

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:39 pm
alleycat13 says...

Good luck Insomnia! You'll like 'em!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:03 am
Jiggity says...

Yes, I remember being intensely fascinated by the series, still am to some degree, but I never made it beyond book 2. He takes so bloody long to get to the point, and the harsh fact is its really not necessary. It drags. I never leave a series unfinished though, so sometime, at some point, I'll finish it.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte