z

Young Writers Society

Movies that are better than books!

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:27 pm
View Likes
Willard says...

"The movies are never as good as the books."- Almost everybody.

What are movies that you think are better than the books they are based off of?

Here's my list below. Personal opinions below

Fight Club- Okay book, great movie.
Catching Fire- Enjoyed the movie, hated the book.
The Hobbit- Didn't like the movie, hated the book.
No Country For Old Men-I enjoyed both, but the Coen Brothers did better.

What is yours?

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:29 pm
Mea says...

The Neverending Story. Really liked the movie, was kind of meh about the book.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:52 pm
steampowered says...

The Hunger Games. The books were OK, but the films were what really got me hooked.

Apart from the Hunger Games films I can't think of any examples where the film is actually better. Most of the time I've read the book beforehand, so go into the cinema with really high expectations. Then I get annoyed about everything I think the director has done "wrong" (from the casting to the cut scenes to the ruined lines to the music score...) The result? I'm (almost) always disappointed with how bad the film is. :)
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Lefty says...

I agree about The Hunger Games, although I may be bias towards the movies because I read the books afterwards. Some things were better in the books while some where better in the movies but I still think the movies take the cake.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:35 pm
CuriosityCat says...

Well, I'm of the personal opinion that the books are pretty much always better. I mean, I do have a few movies (the Harry Potter movies, for example) that I think are totally equal with the books.

But most of the time, I feel like the movies are always trying to fit too much plot into too little screen time. And sometimes (AHEM AHEM The Lightning Thief AHEM AHEM) they completely change the story just to make it glamorous and it ends up absolutely ridiculous.

The only one I can think of, and I'm not sure this even counts, is the movie Over The Hedge. It was based on a comic strip, I think. Anyway, I love it!
Nothing to see here, puny mortals. Move along.

"I’m always going to embarrass myself and I’m pretty comfortable with that now."
— Misha Collins

Random avatar

Reviews: 93
Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:24 am
emeraldfox says...

The Hobbit. The book dragged on too much for me.
I normally don't compare books to movies much becuase they are too different in my opinion to really be compared. Books are interesting because you can interpret them yourself, but movies are interesting because you can see what another person's (the director/writer/actors) interpretation was.

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:10 am
mfoley says...

Winter's Tale. Not a particularly great movie, but two hours of tedious, fantastical mush is a lot more manageable than a thousand pages of tedious, fantastical mush.
-- Michael F.

Reviews: 2
Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:09 pm
ACLoughery says...

To Kill a Mockingbird was a bit of a boring book in my opinion. The movie cut out a lot of the unnecessary parts and built up the ending far better.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:10 am
ardentlyThieving says...

Oooh another opportunity for me to talk about one of my favourite topics. IMO both the 1934 and 1982 movies of TSP are better than the books, mainly because they both cut out the Jewish stereotype character and other than that followed the books pretty faithfully. Plus the actors are just so good in their roles.
“Thus human beings judge of one another, superficially, casually, throwing contempt on one another, with but little reason, and no charity.” - Emmuska Orczy, 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'

Be led by your talent and not by your self-loathing ... everything beautiful in the world is within you.
— Russell Brand