z

Young Writers Society

I Just Read ERAGON and ELDEST!

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:54 pm
View Likes
~Volant~ says...

I greatly enjoyed them too. I got an extensive new vocabulary from reading that book. heh. They were well writeen and had a great flow. Of course, there were the common fantasy plots.

[spoiler]There was the young boy suddenly thrust into the world by the discovery of some magic, the old man as a mentor, the death of the old mentor (also seen in Harry Potter), dragon + boy, ignorance of father, evil father, unreachable love, a magical language, betrayal of family members, etc.[/spolier]

But I actually think he was very clever with those cliches. You see them all in Harry Potter, King Arthur, and most of the other popular fantasy books and series. Mixing most of the common fantasy cliches is actually what I enjoyed the most.

My only problem is that it's so flippin' predictable. heh. But yes, very good books.
Where are we going?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:02 pm
Aedomir says...

*horrified*

They are alright, but he use a load of puncy words to hide his no-talent and poor sentence structures. Its a matter of opinion really, I just find that the LotR has a far better plot, and far improved vocab.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:08 pm
StellaThomas says...

Although Tolkien did use some grammatical structures that never actually existed in the English language (perhaps in Old English though) to make it sound archaic. Sorry, but everytime I hear that I just have to laugh.

Well, I'm not about to give out to you for liking them. I like The Edge Chronicles *blushes*. We all have some sort of guilty pleasure. And I do read them. They can be semi-enjoyable. Just... gyah...

I have the same deal with these as with Twilight. Kind of. I read them, but I'm not particularly enchanted... although it's a bit different with Twilight, I just have a problem with Bella and her stereotypical damsel-in-distress look on life.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

370 Reviews

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:29 pm
Aedomir says...

lol, to be honest I jsut liked LotR because of the sentences. It wasn't just to make it arcahic, it was how he spoke. He amde it for his children to read, and that was supposedly simple to him! That is, if you haven't read Silmarrilion etc.

Bah, its just opinion. Paolini is just too... vain and self-loving. I mean here is a pic of him now:

tut tut how vain lol :-D

When I if I publish my novels *crosses fingers* I will make sure it is 100% original. Did you know the assassins in Eragon are of the 'black hand' that is the exact name of the group that assassinated franz ferdinand in 1914 and started WW1!

~D'Aedomir~

2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:50 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

***!!!long lost twins!!!*** I was looking at that picture last night too and I was like "Poser!"

Ah, the word poser and Paolini bring back fond memories...

My friend had brought a paperback version of Eragon on our hockey trip and while I was, ahem, packing (it's surprising how much your stuff can spread around in three days) she was reading a passage of it and she reads part of it out. I can't remember it exactly but it was something about Arya standing in a dungeon with -I remember this bit- "a single tear like a liquid diamond" on her face, and I said "Poser! I mean, seriously, who just stands there with a tear on their face waiting to be scried (sp?) on?" We rolled around laughing, and it went down in our archive of private jokes.

So yeah. But no, I was looking at that picture last night, and I find it hard to believe that he wrote an obese book by hand lying in long grass...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

370 Reviews

Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:53 pm
Aedomir says...

lol ye I was thinking that

2. Human.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:23 pm
deleted6 says...

Stella Thomas wrote:Well, I'm not about to give out to you for liking them. I like The Edge Chronicles *blushes*. We all have some sort of guilty pleasure. And I do read them. They can be semi-enjoyable. Just... gyah...

Totally agreed The Edge Chronciles rock. God the picture in curse of the Gloamglozer of it impersonating thingy really freaked me out. My favourite Midnight Over Sanphrax. It's original you've gotta admit and I like how it goes through the family :).

Anyway I'll say it before and say it again, Ian Irvine is the best fantast writer and I even dare to say better than Toilken :P. I've not read books and never shall. I find all being said here and another thread is enough to put me off. Plus all I've read practically spoiled book :P. Aedomir check out Ian Irvine first Saga called The View From the Mirror Quartet. He's a magic author. :D
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

370 Reviews

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:32 pm
Aedomir says...

I've never heard of him, sounds alright I'll check him out (that sounded weird :-D).

Tolkien is just so God *coughs* I mean good...

2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:36 pm
StellaThomas says...

*Phew* I was afraid I would get slapped for liking books with illustrations.

But they are highly original. Unlike these. There are characters we've never seen, wonderful species, floating rocks, sky pirates...

And actually I was going to make a comparison between Murtagh and Xanth Filatine, but no... because Murtagh goes bad again. Xanth doesn't. And I'll admit to getting teary when he undid his tether in the Twilight Woods... and plain crying when Magda *died*.

I think is Arya died I would do a little jig. (I do jigs when good things happen in books. I danced around my kitchen when Ron Weasley turned up and asked Harry if he had mental problems)...

I think one of the least flawed things in this book was Nasuada, but she's just abandoned by the wayside, so instead we can read several clichéed "I love you Arya" scenes...

I've never head of Ian Irvine, although to tell the truth I don't really read so-called high fantasy. Occasionally, yes, (the Black Magician Trilogy wasn't bad)...

Random avatar

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:46 pm
deleted6 says...

Stella Thomas wrote:*Phew* I was afraid I would get slapped for liking books with illustrations.

But they are highly original. Unlike these. There are characters we've never seen, wonderful species, floating rocks, sky pirates...

And actually I was going to make a comparison between Murtagh and Xanth Filatine, but no... because Murtagh goes bad again. Xanth doesn't. And I'll admit to getting teary when he undid his tether in the Twilight Woods... and plain crying when Magda *died*.

I think is Arya died I would do a little jig. (I do jigs when good things happen in books. I danced around my kitchen when Ron Weasley turned up and asked Harry if he had mental problems)...

I think one of the least flawed things in this book was Nasuada, but she's just abandoned by the wayside, so instead we can read several clichéed "I love you Arya" scenes...

I've never head of Ian Irvine, although to tell the truth I don't really read so-called high fantasy. Occasionally, yes, (the Black Magician Trilogy wasn't bad)...

They are terribly original books and nothing wrong with liking books with illustrations. I still read a kids book called Simon and the Witch heh.

Another thing, Ian Irvine not really high fantasy not typical either no dragons are anything. It's made up world called Sanethear.

About Edge Chronicles it was entirely original :). Read Ian Irvine though he rocks! :D
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:59 pm
StellaThomas says...

*Googles*

There are a lot of names... No offence, I bet they're good, just really don't look like my cup of tea.

Just looking at your post again... Midnight Over Sanctaphrax was my favourite too... weirdly enough the only one I don't own... although I cried at the end of it as well when I realised Twig would never find Maugin and the others again...

370 Reviews

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:03 pm
Aedomir says...

lol :-D I have nothing better to do so I am posting in this forum

Thats how fun my life is woo!

2. Human.

Random avatar

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:09 pm
deleted6 says...

Well I've got all of them except the newest one which I wished would of carried on from Free Gladers. I prefer hearing about that. I was shocked that both Professor died really remember. That made me sad. I liked them both. er not digress from this too muchj even though alot agree books are terrible. Inheritance lmao.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:25 pm
StellaThomas says...

yeah, I haven't read the Lost Barkscrolls, I'd prefer to hear more about the Freegladers to tell the truth....

But we're getting off-topic here...

370 Reviews

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:26 pm
Aedomir says...

Ye I was just thinking that, watchin you two talk about completly irreleavnt things is pretty funny though!

2. Human.

snacks are relevant to every situation and your argument is invalid
— LemonTheDorkyPanda