z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:16 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Imelda wrote:
The Weasleys were certainly the highlight of the book. One-liners like the shampoo, and Mrs Weasley's battle cry were definitely giggle-worthy moments!

YEAH Molly! (did anybody NOT laugh at that?) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohmeohmy

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:24 pm
Poltergiest says...

The fact that Mrs. Weasley swore at all is mindbogling and aw inspiring. Realy... I LOVED the ending! :mrgreen: What was everybodies fav. part?
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

280 Reviews

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:27 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Aberforth! Vote Aberforth! :D He's so much cooler than Dumby. Didn't have any qualms about talking, either.
ohmeohmy

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:47 pm
thewonderworldofnight says...

I like it, but it's not the best of the HP books...I don't know why, but thr 6th and 7th really didn't do that much for me...maybe I was just too overly-depressed about Sirius' death...

Okay people...what are your favorites of the books? Personally, I love the 3rd and 5th...although Sirius' death still depressed me...

OMG I HATE THE HERMIONE/RON PAIRING!!! WHY DID SHE HAVE TO DO THAT?!?! But I love Lupin and Tonks, they're so perfect :-)
'"Many years ago, when I was young, I saw a fire, and what looked like death-- and beyond that, in the dark places, something...or some One, who knew me. Shall I at last find my way back to that wonderworld of Night?"'

164 Reviews

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:52 pm
Poltergiest says...

My favs are 3 and 7. 3 cause of the dementors and Sirious and stuff. 7 because of the mega perfect ending. Who else thinks the ending is perfect. I'm not sure if I should say it if other people haven't read it but...

~Pol
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

280 Reviews

Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:01 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

3 and 7.
ohmeohmy

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:45 pm
Sureal says...

I feel like the six previous books were almost like an introduction to this one. All the different books have introduced various different parts of the Harry Potter mythology, and then The Deathly Hallows drew them all together, utilised them, and tied them neatly together.

Anyways, definately the best book in the series, in my opinion. A great read, and anyone seeking out spoliers, rather than reading it, are depriving themselves of a great book.
I wrote the above just for you.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:01 am
Fand says...

I agree, Sureal. This really WAS the perfect culmination of the series, and I loved it!

The one thing I didn't like? The epilogue. I've read so many things like it in fanfictions that I was wondering if the novel was having an identity crisis. And, I mean, could those names have been any more predictable? Sure the two weren't--but every fanfic'er who writes about the next generation uses those other names. *rolls eyes*

She should've left it end at the last chapter.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

280 Reviews

Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:02 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I think that Jo is telling us to write fanfic. There's no other reason for that epilogue.
ohmeohmy

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:28 am
gyrfalcon says...

The bird's thoughts on the epilogue (which she loved):

1) In my opinion, at least, it was the only way I would be able to let go of the series. No matter how good my imagination, if she hadn't SHOWN us that [censored] live "happily ever after," as it were, there would always have been that doubt, that room for interpretation.

2) For those who say it resembles a fanfic: I definitely think JKR molded it that way on purpose, by way of...sort of "taking control" of that particular section of the Harry Potter cannon. There is now an "official" version of events post-books, and since it's IN THE BOOK (published, therefore copyrighted), I think she'll have a lot more control in that area. Feel free to correct me on this, though.

3) I just freaking loved it. Especially [censored]'s middle name. And what Harry said about that particular namesake.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:18 am
Nate says...

Just finished it about 15 minutes ago, and it was brilliant (as everyone else has said). I'm really glad she chose to write an epilogue because I always wonder what happens next after the book ends.

Now I'm just sad it's all over. I've been waiting for the seventh book ever since I read the first back in 2000. But, I can't imagine her not writing another book that is at least set in the HP universe. Books about Dumbledore at Hogwarts, or James & Lily at Hogwarts, or whatever else would be awesome.

164 Reviews

Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:31 am
Poltergiest says...

The Harry Potter series is what sparked my intrest. Before I was a stupid jock in the 6th grade, barely able to read. I decided, "Eh, why not." And started reading. I was mezmerized. After I read the books that were out my intrests branched elswhere.

I loved fantisy ever since J.K. Rolwing introduced it to me. I've read so many other things I've liked better but I always remianed faithful to the books, never forgeting what they did for me.

I thought I could never let go of Harry Potter. I couldn't believe it was over. After reading the end I smiled. Then read the epilouge. I was grinning before I could realize it. It-was-perfect. It gave me a sense of adventure.

That thier adventuares were not yet over. Harry Potter lived on inside his children, as he'll live on through me as well. I will never forget you.

~Pol

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:09 am
Flemzo says...

I envy those who took less than 12 hours to read the book. It took me a day and a half (including quick naps, going to church, and eating) to finish, and it was absolutely the greatest finish to a series.

Some of my predections were right, but I'll have to check my wording on the bet I made for a couple of events that were technically right, but, in the end, were false.

While some people didn't like the King's Cross portion, I absolutely LOVED it! Maybe it's because it's contantly a movie when I read something, but I just had this beautiful imagry running through my mind.

Curse the spoiler ban.... soon as it's lifted, I need someone to talk to!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:16 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I finished reading it too, unfortunately, I'm the first one in my house to read it fully.

I liked the King Cross section, I also liked the whole Hogwarts section.

In general though, the book was good. It did what every good final book of a series should do: wrap up all the loose ends.

I wish I could say more.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:37 am
gyrfalcon says...

Poltergiest wrote:The Harry Potter series is what sparked my intrest. Before I was a stupid jock in the 6th grade, barely able to read. I decided, "Eh, why not." And started reading. I was mezmerized. After I read the books that were out my intrests branched elswhere.

I loved fantisy ever since J.K. Rolwing introduced it to me. I've read so many other things I've liked better but I always remianed faithful to the books, never forgeting what they did for me.

I thought I could never let go of Harry Potter. I couldn't believe it was over. After reading the end I smiled. Then read the epilouge. I was grinning before I could realize it. It-was-perfect. It gave me a sense of adventure.

That thier adventuares were not yet over. Harry Potter lived on inside his children, as he'll live on through me as well. I will never forget you.

~Pol

I totally agree, Pol.
(wow, how often do big sisters say that to little brothers?)
For me, I will be fine if she does or doesn't go on, though I don't see how, if she loves these characters as much as her writing leads me to beleive, she'll be able to entirely let them go.

In Memoriam.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

The sun can square up and fight me. Apollo is just another bi disaster, and I could take him.
— AlmostImmortal