z

Young Writers Society

Twilight

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:17 pm
MuffinWriter says...

Lets face it. harry potter. Eragon. twilight. a serious of unfortunait events(it never got half as big as the other 3 unfortunitly) there have been others, and there will be more.

with popularity, comes hate. espicially with this site, I think at least a bit of hate is generated from jelousy. I mean who doesn't want to think they can write better then some author whos raking in the money from their books? Who doesn't want to think that it was just pure luck some every day person ended up rich from writing?

All writers have a certian... style to them. We all have it. If you want to find something to pick at about somebodys writing style, you can. I have isshues with my suspense building, and my intros are usually a bit draggy as I put in a LOT of descriptive detail, almost too much at times, espically at the beggining.

The truth of the matter is, we all will love some books, and hate others.

Twilight deffinitly was the type to suck you in, and keep you reading (except for a few chapters here & there). Vampires & werewolfs, may not be everybodys thing, but nobody asked them to be.

I personally read all four books in one week. (i waited until all of the books were out to read any of them). the fact of the matter is, things may be repetitive or weird, fallen together almost too perfectly, but I enjoyed them. then again, I was always a sucker for fantasy & always a sucker for romance.
Why does believe have the word lie in it?

*like the line in my dp? Check out my one poem: "In Repair". I made the dp to match the poem.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:02 am
Storm_Bringer says...

Me too! All my friends are Twilight fanatics or weirdos as I like to call them. :) Sheesh. They talk about it EVERY day! I don't know what the big deal is about. Just another damsel in distress story. Always Edward to the rescue! Yeah. Just sharing my opinion.
~Storm
"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~~~
Need a review?
One Stormy Review Coming Right Up!

Random avatar

Reviews: 21
Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:58 am
Antares says...

Storm_Bringer wrote:Me too! All my friends are Twilight fanatics or weirdos as I like to call them. :) Sheesh. They talk about it EVERY day! I don't know what the big deal is about. Just another damsel in distress story. Always Edward to the rescue! Yeah. Just sharing my opinion.
~Storm

My friends are like that too - they talk about it every single day. Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike the books when I first read them but now the hype has gotten too much and I'm kind of sick of them. I've read the first three but I'm avoiding the last one since I'm not really bothered now. They're good for some light reading but definitely don't deserve the title of 'Bestest Book Ever!!!!111!!!" that some fangirlies give them.
'Moses Kiptanui - the 19 year old Kenyan, who turned 20 a few weeks ago.'
'If that had gone in, it would have been a goal.' David Coleman
'Without being too harsh on David Beckham, he cost us the match.' Ian Wright

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:49 pm
StolenHearts. says...

So if you guys are so sick of the damsel in distress stories why don't you try to make a story without a hero to save the day. Hmm, maybe I should make a contest for that, then let's see how hard you found it to do. It just seems like people bash and bash these poor books. I feel sorry for them, what is funny is that I'd still read these books over and over again. I'm way into fantasy, but I guess many of us have jealousy for these books as muffin stated. I just hope you people don't end up bashing my books as much as you bash twilight, hp, eragon. I mean really don't you have better things to do.

I'm probably going to try that contest idea, because you all act as though you can do better. I'm sure you can but i want to see :]

-goes to work on contest-

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:03 am
Krupp says...

StolenHearts. wrote:So if you guys are so sick of the damsel in distress stories why don't you try to make a story without a hero to save the day. Hmm, maybe I should make a contest for that, then let's see how hard you found it to do. It just seems like people bash and bash these poor books. I feel sorry for them, what is funny is that I'd still read these books over and over again. I'm way into fantasy, but I guess many of us have jealousy for these books as muffin stated. I just hope you people don't end up bashing my books as much as you bash twilight, hp, eragon. I mean really don't you have better things to do.

I'm probably going to try that contest idea, because you all act as though you can do better. I'm sure you can but i want to see :]

-goes to work on contest-

...I just avoid the damsel in distress story idea when I can; which is 98% of the time I write. I work with concepts that focus much more on the primal side of man, when he loses control of himself. Or at least, I'm starting to move in that direction....

But you should try that contest anyways to give people a challenge.

and just so I can have a final word on Twilight in general; I don't envy the author. I respect her as an accomplished writer, which is something I am not at the moment, although I might get there someday. But on a personal level, these books seriously annoy me. How many girls read these kinds of books, and they start thinking about having sex with vampires? For that matter, how many guys watch movies like 300 and think they're badarses sudenlly and can beat anyone up? While these ideas and tales are cool, (and I'll go as far to say Twilight's probably cool, although I've not read it and don't have the desire to do so.) it has to be remembered that in the end, most of these kinds of tales are not really anything other than entertainment. It takes real work to make something art.

And quite honestly, from the sound of it, Twilight is not "art" per-se. Then again, the same could be said about a lot of literature. But I'm one of those people who'd like to push it a little further, try to take stories and concepts a bit further than the typical damsel-in-distress sequence, or the 'save the world in twenty-four hours' kind of story. Am I being realistic in thinking that I can write better than people who've been writing those stories? Of course not. But maybe someday, I'll come up with something that will reinvent what makes a story worth reading.

You never know. Anyone on this site could be that writer that makes reading popular again. It's just a matter of time before we find out, I suppose.
Last edited by Krupp on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 am
StolenHearts. says...

Yes, I avoid it as well. I created the contest. I hope people join, I always love to see what people come up with ^^
Anyone and everyone is welcome to join, it's called Book Bashers Welcome, join if you'd like.
I will probably participate in the contest as well xD

You are quite right, I definitely agree. I've just gotten sick of the,"Eww, that book is lame." kind of feedback. If My books were bashed like that I'd kind of feel unaccomplished. But, that doesn't mean I would give up. I would love to become a writer when I'm old enough, because I've wanted people to see what I see. I dream that one day people will understand why i am the way i am. But, then again humanity is going back to the apes so I guess i may never experience achievement.

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:16 pm
Fitharby says...

I thought I was the only person who found Twilight, New Moon (pt.2), Eclipse (pt.3) and Breaking Dawn (pt.4) incredibly lame, dull and boring.
To tell you the truth, I only got halfway through Twilight, and found it such a bore I started to read random bits, skip ahead chapters, you know- then I watched the movie (which in my very own opinion SUCKED as much as the book). I also read random bits of New Moon, Eclipse & BD but I fell asleep reading them! Literally.
So, yeah, I guess I'm pretty anti-twilight.
I don't get it why everyone's so crazy about it- it's not a masterpiece, can't be compared to the good ol' classics, which are really the books I like.
Good to know I'm not alone! :D
'Don't write for a living, live for writing'

Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:46 pm
Fitharby says...

I thought I was the only one who considered these books a bore. Honestly, I don't get it why people are so crazy about them. In my opinion, they suck.

:D It's good to know more people think the same as me
'Don't write for a living, live for writing'

Random avatar

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:44 pm
banhammer says...

Rodhead wrote:Okay. I heard praactically everyone talking about the Twilight books and films so I decided that I would give them ago and read the first book. I was kinda dissapointed with it. I didnt really like it that much. Does anybody else agree with me.?

:x

Twilight and the mormon failpires, in their eternal clash against the pedowolves

No, you're perfectly healthy if you didn't like them.

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:15 am
asxz says...

I think that twilight is good - and I'm not one for romance!
I wasn't too bothered about the words 'stunning' and 'dazzle', as the plot made up for it. I think what all of you 'Twilight-haters' out there think is that the book was stupid bacuse of the way it was written, and the way that she made Edward look like an angel. I really think that Twilight was good bacause of the plot, and the way that she twisted the vampires and warewolves to suit her book, giving us a ew view of he crazy myths that people made up thousands of years ago. By the way - I still think that the 'I don't get burned in sunlight, I just shine like a diamond' thing is stupid, but that's about it... and the fact that everyone gets into huge debates over Warewolves vs. Vampires! I never once heard of the competition between the two untill I read twilight...
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

Random avatar

Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:42 am
banhammer says...

crazy miths made them fun, and the fact that they are so incredibly overused in fiction now, made the "Our vampires are difrent" nothing that original.

I would be much more impressed if she found a way to make the old miths work.

Also, Ed was a mix between too creepy and unbearably bruting, and the avatar of Joseph Smith.
If we take in account how obviously stephen meyers is in love with Bella Sue, I honnestly think that is something for one to concern himself over.
On another note, the one part of the story it trully felt original was the one where I don't remember who (was it Ed?) saw something so horrible he ponders ripping his brain and pouring into a vat of blech, considering his need to forget what he saw to outweight the probability of brain damage.

(Oh how I understand you, what's-your-face)....

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:03 am
Bloo says...

asxz wrote:I think that twilight is good - and I'm not one for romance!
I wasn't too bothered about the words 'stunning' and 'dazzle', as the plot made up for it. I think what all of you 'Twilight-haters' out there think is that the book was stupid because of the way it was written, and the way that she made Edward look like an angel. I really think that Twilight was good because of the plot, and the way that she twisted the vampires and werewolves to suit her book, giving us a new view of he crazy myths that people made up thousands of years ago. By the way - I still think that the 'I don't get burned in sunlight, I just shine like a diamond' thing is stupid, but that's about it... and the fact that everyone gets into huge debates over Werewolves vs. Vampires! I never once heard of the competition between the two until I read twilight...

Really, cause to me the plot was very dumb

I mean she spent way to much time on getting a date with Edward, and the dance, and left so little for the action, which was the only slightly bearable thing in my eyes.

And the changing vampires Is not that good in my eyes, Its one thing to tweak them a bit like say instead that they die in the sun, they lose there power or something, or maybe When they bit someone they don;t make them a vampire unless they want to. But she totally changed them, every thing that made a vampire a vampire was gone. She should have just changed the name of the them and called them, well can;t think of a good name right now. Werewolves, okay sort of. Instead I would have made something more like, the native Americans had ancient tribal magic, or something like that, and this allowed them to transform at will. If she did those I would have been fine with the drastic change.

Also next some changes to the general writing, cut down in the description.

People can deal with that, let us have some imagination of what they look like. But what you do need is to develop characters, have Bella slowly, with Edwards help, think better of her self, and become less klutzy as a result, but still have some insecurities, and make her klutzy when nervous. Make the other Cullen's less welcoming in a short period. Slowly have them welcome her, because of Edward and her love growing, and still have them not fully accept her, have more than one not like her. And develop the secondary too. Make hints that they will be becoming more major later, have them change a bit to, slightly though, to make it so they ave started changing, then it continues in the next book.

Yeah I'm done, for now though.

Asxz: This was not directed at you soloy, but I was using the stuff you said.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:00 am
Storm_Bringer says...

I said: well, alot of people buy crack cocaine, but that's certainly not a good thing.

Haha. Good one!!!
"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~~~
Need a review?
One Stormy Review Coming Right Up!

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:06 am
flytodreams says...

I've only read the first book. :oops: As most people round here think, I don't think it deserved even a quarter of the popularity it got. I don't hate it, but I think it's just a waste of time. The characters are underdeveloped, there are heaps of 'dragging' bits...jeez.
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

144 Reviews

Reviews: 144
Mon May 11, 2009 4:29 pm
GoldenQuill says...

Rodhead wrote:Okay. I heard praactically everyone talking about the Twilight books and films so I decided that I would give them ago and read the first book. I was kinda dissapointed with it. I didnt really like it that much. Does anybody else agree with me.?

I'm on the same page. Everyone's ranting about it, but... it's not that great. I mean, it was cute, but not fantastic. In fact, my friend told me how depressing the second book is, and why do I even need to be reading that? That's just stupid. So. I do not like Twilight.

The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness