z

Young Writers Society

Upon Waking

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:12 am
Faia Merth says...

My second time trying my hand at writing. It's my very first draft since this idea just hit me last night, and I had a frenzy of getting all my ideas into order and then my night consisted of planning out the plot and piecing everything together. Please enjoy :D (or maybe you won't enjoy lol)

People say when your about to die, your life flashes before your eyes. In my case, thats totally not true. All I can see are the small bubbles of air escaping from my lips and speeding up to the surface of the ocean. Fear overcomes me and I fight wildly against the water that was stealing my life from me. Darkness takes over my vision and my lungs convulse painfully. The small remains of life slip through my fingers like smoke.

I knew that I was dead, yet I felt strangely alive. My body was completely numb and weightless, as if I were floating in space. My mind is blank. I can’t seem to process any thoughts, can’t seem to remember anything. Focusing all my will and power to my fingers, I try to move them. To feel something.
My fingers feel like they haven’t moved in years, stiff and unfamiliar to me. The tips of them brush something soft and smooth.
A flat, emotionless voice of a women blasts through my head. “F58, are you able to communicate?”
My eyes slit open groggily. I blinked a few times before I was able to fully open them, which were greeted by a plain white ceiling. Pain shot through my head, making the white ceiling begin to fade, but I force myself to remain conscious. Memories of my life shot through my head at a speed faster than light. Little to late for the “life flashing before the eyes” moment.
“F58, are you able to communicate?” said the emotionless women again.
I swallowed hard and opened my mouth to speak. “A-am I dead?” My mouth was dry and my tongue heavy.
“Incorrect answer. Are you able to communicate?”
“Yes,” I reply, preparing myself to sit up. “Am I in a hospital?”
“You are able to remember your dream?” The women’s voice was the same, not even going higher at the end to indicate she had asked a question.
“I don’t recall having any dreams. Am I in a hospital? How did anyone find me? It was the middle of the night and I didn’t scream or anything.”
I took a deep breath and forced my body up into a sitting position, squeezing my eyes shut from the stiffness and pain. My spine cracked loudly as I slouched over and let the breath I was holding out slowly.
“Do you have a name?” asked the women.
“Jacqueline Birstmor, but you can just call me Jackie.” I opened my eyes and turned my head slightly to look at the women who I was speaking with and my heart began to pound with horror.
Her skin was translucent, showing all her veins clearly as if they were blue lines drawn on paper. No hair was to be found on top of her head, just smooth clammy skin. Her features were sharp and defined, skin stretched out over them and looking like it might tear. She had no eyebrows or ears, just holes on the sides of her head. Her lips were slightly more coloured than the rest of her. Her eyes were what horrified me the most though. They had sunk deep into her eye sockets and were pure white, with pinpricks of black pupils.
My stomach did flips and quickly covered my mouth with my hand so I wouldn’t puke. Swallowing hard, I removed my hand from my mouth and tried to form words. “W-where am I?” My voice shook horribly and I felt sick. Everything felt wrong.
The creature cocked its head and blinked with clear eyelids. I wanted to run. Run as far away from this thing as I could, but something inside of me kept me sitting down and staring at this thing.
“You’re location is within the Dream Lab, Ward 84, room 61.”
None of this makes any sense. This can’t be happening. This has to be a nightmare of some sort. Yeah, that makes sense. This is just a nightmare. I tore my eyes away from the creature and to my surroundings.
I was in a small plain white room, just fitting the bed that I was on, a small square bedside table and the creature. I was dressed in a loosely fitting white v-neck gown and I checked my hands to see if my skin wasn’t like the creatures, which it wasn’t. It was the tanned skin I remembered having and I still had my short brown hair and ears. I sighed inwardly and prepared myself to look back to the creature, who I noticed this time was holding a clipboard in its spidery hands.
“What is your time living in years?” asked the creature, its lips barely moving.
“Fifteen. My birthday’s April 13th 2004,” I answered uncertainly, confused by the phrasing of the question. The creatures fingers tapped extremely quickly on the board, its eyes never leaving me.
“Do you have parents?”
What a weird question to ask. “Of coarse I do. They’re names are Dave and Loretta Birstmor. Have they been notified that I’m not actually dead?”
“What continent, country and city do you live in?”
“Um.... North America, Canada, Winnipeg, but I’m on Spring Break so my family and I came here to Newfoundland to visit with my grandparents.”
“How did you wake up?”
I paused, confused. “What? Wake up?”
“Sorry. I must have phrased that incorrectly. You are a fresh child. How did you die?”
I swear my heart must have stopped when the word “die” emerged from the creatures lips. My head began to spin, my stomach churn again and my heart try to break my ribcage. My brain was in absolute shock and I whispered,” I drowned.”

--- Opps, I think my narration changes once or twice :smt087 sorry about that ---

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:46 pm
View Likes
afeefah says...

Hi Faia! I'm here to review your work.

The story itself and the plot is very good. you express your characters emotions really well which iss one thing i sometimes have problems with. However, some of your sentences are ordered weirdly and don't make sense. i know it's boring and dull but if you read through it out loud, it's really easy to spot your mistakes. please do read it over because your story is really goo d and had me hooked but the little mistakes drew my attention away from the plot. all in all your story is excellent and has potential. please PM me when you post more as i would like to read it.

Afeefah :D

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:02 pm
railway says...

I'm just going to annotate where I have any additional comments. I really enjoyed it btw! I think it's good for your second try at writing.

Faia Merth wrote:My second time trying my hand at writing. It's my very first draft since this idea just hit me last night, and I had a frenzy of getting all my ideas into order and then my night consisted of planning out the plot and piecing everything together. Please enjoy :D (or maybe you won't enjoy lol)

People say when your it would be you're, which is short for you are where as your is for possession about to die, your life flashes before your eyes. In my case, thats that's for that is thats is the possessive totally not true. All I can see are the small bubbles of air escaping from my lips and speeding up to the surface of the ocean. Fear overcomes maybe overwhelm would be more appropriate? me and I fight wildly against the water that was stealing my life from me. Darkness takes over my vision and my lungs convulse painfully. The small remains of life slip through my fingers like smoke. Good description, not too flowery although it contains personification and metaphors

I knew that I was dead, yet I felt strangely alive. My body was completely numb and weightless, as if I were floating in space. My mind is blank. Don't switch between tenses! I can’t seem to process any thoughts, can’t seem to remember anything. Focusing all my will and power to my fingers, I try to move them. To feel something.
My fingers feel like they haven’t moved in years, stiff and unfamiliar to me. The tips of them brush something soft and smooth.
A flat, emotionless voice of a women blasts through my head. “F58, are you able to communicate?”
My eyes slit flicker? open groggily. I blinked a few times before I was able to fully open them, which were greeted by a plain white ceiling. Pain shot through my head, making the white ceiling begin to fade, but I force myself to remain conscious. Memories of my life shot through my head don't repeat this phrase since you used it in your last sentence! Perhaps 'whipped through my mind'? at a speed faster than light. Little to too late for the “life flashing before the eyes” moment.
“F58, are you able to communicate?” said the emotionless women again. monotonous voice?
I swallowed hard and opened my mouth to speak. “A-am I dead?” My mouth was dry and my tongue heavy.
“Incorrect answer. Are you able to communicate?”
“You are able to remember your dream?” The women’s voice was the same, not even going higher at the end to indicate she had asked a question.
“I don’t recall having any dreams. Am I in a hospital? How did anyone find me? It was the middle of the night and I didn’t scream or anything.”
I took a deep breath and forced my body up into a sitting position, squeezing my eyes shut from the stiffness and pain. My spine cracked loudly as I slouched over and let the breath I was holding out slowly.
“Do you have a name?” asked the women.
“Jacqueline Birstmor, but you can just call me Jackie.” I opened my eyes and turned my head slightly to look at the women who I was speaking with and my heart began to pound with horror.
Her skin was translucent, showing all her veins clearly as if they were blue lines drawn on paper. No hair was to be found on top of her head, just smooth clammy skin. Her features were sharp and defined, skin stretched out over them and looking like it might tear. She had no eyebrows or ears, just holes on the sides of her head. Her lips were slightly more coloured than the rest of her. Her eyes were what horrified me the most though. They had sunk deep into her eye sockets and were pure white, with pinpricks of black pupils. wow! I love this description! [:
My stomach did flips and quickly covered my mouth with my hand so I wouldn’t puke. Swallowing hard, I removed my hand from my mouth and tried to form words. “W-where am I?” My voice shook horribly and I felt sick. Everything felt wrong.
The creature cocked its head and blinked with clear eyelids. I wanted to run. Run as far away from this thing as I could, but something inside of me kept me sitting down and staring at this thing.
None of this makes any sense. This can’t be happening. This has to be a nightmare of some sort. Yeah, that makes sense. This is just a nightmare. I tore my eyes away from the creature and to my surroundings.
I was in a small plain white room, just fitting the bed that I was on, a small square bedside table and the creature. I was dressed in a loosely fitting white v-neck gown and I checked my hands to see if my skin wasn’t like the creatures, which it wasn’t. It was the tanned skin I remembered having and I still had my short brown hair and ears. I sighed inwardly and prepared myself to look back to the creature, who I noticed this time was holding a clipboard in its spidery hands.
“What is your time living in years?” asked the creature, its lips barely moving.
“Fifteen. My birthday’s April 13th 2004,” I answered uncertainly, confused by the phrasing of the question. The creatures fingers tapped extremely quickly on the board, its eyes never leaving me.
“Do you have parents?”
What a weird question to ask. “Of coarse course I do. They’re names are Dave and Loretta Birstmor. Have they been notified that I’m not actually dead?”
“Um.... North America, Canada, Winnipeg, but I’m on Spring Break so my family and I came here to Newfoundland to visit with my grandparents.”
“How did you wake up?”
“Sorry. I must have phrased that incorrectly. You are a fresh child. How did you die?”
I swear my heart must have stopped when the word “die” emerged from the creatures lips. My head began to spin, my stomach churn again and my heart try to break my ribcage. My brain was in absolute shock and I whispered,” I drowned.” I love the suspense you created using the description in this last bit. A little can go a long way.

--- Opps, I think my narration changes once or twice :smt087 sorry about that ---

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:04 pm
Quwerty says...

Hello Faia. Love the story, it's increadibly creative. "My head began to spin, my stomach churn again and my heart try to break my ribcage." Part of that sentence doesn't really make sense as it is(the stomach part) it needs some other words in there. Also if you write she feels alive yet at the same time is struggling to feel something, us slow kids might get confused. Chop chop Faia, I want to see those eight reviews you owe the world.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:32 am
Roo 2 says...

Okay, great! I’m very, very interested so far and it sounds like you’ve got a really fresh, unique idea! This is only your second try at writing? Wow! I’m impressed!! :D I love your descriptions, you keep them detailed enough to keep us paying attention and engrossed, but not too much so that we end up getting bored or skipping parts of your story. Great job! You have a lovely style.

Here are some little problem things here and there that I noticed:

:arrow: ‘Kay, right off the bat you seem to have some tense problems. Like in the prologue, Jackie goes from ‘all I can see…’, like she’s seeing it right now to ‘was stealing my life’ like she’s telling the story to someone like it happened a little while ago. This happens a lot throughout the story, and I think it’s probably your biggest problem (and it’s fixable, that’s great!). At the beginning it’s all in present tense, but at the end, somehow it switched to past tense. But I think you might know you did that.
Opps, I think my narration changes once or twice sorry about that
Is tense what you’re talking about? That’s good, if you recognized what you were doing wrong.

:arrow:
I still had my short brown hair and ears

In my personal opinion, this sounds a bit like she be suggesting that she has short brown hair and short brown ears. :smt082 I might recommend switching the two words just for zero misunderstandings. “I still had my ears and short brown hair.” Take it or leave it. :D

:arrow: Looks like everyone else got the picky stuff like mini-grammar slips (you’re not your, that’s not that’s, etc. etc.) So I’m not going to elaborate on that anymore. You can probably see what you did wrong and fix it just like that. * snaps * Just watch out and reread what you’ve written and keep spell-check/grammar-check on at all times. :)

:arrow: That’s all that I can see and pinpoint right now, but I’m mega-impressed! This is very mysterious and intriguing, it just sucks you in and makes you want to read more! That’s so great! PM me once you’ve posted more, I’m dying to find out more! :D

-Roo
If all the world is but a dream---fantastic posing greed---then we should feed our jewelry to the sea. For diamonds do appear to be just like broken glass to me.

---
Roo loves yoo. <3

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:24 am
Elinor says...

Hi, I'm Ellie, and I'll Be You're Reviewer For Today :-)

Faia Merth wrote:
People say when your about to die, your life flashes before your eyes.
What? They do? How would anyone know, Considering there are not going to be an survivors to say so.

Faia Merth wrote: In my case, that's totally not true.
I think you can lose the totally. It makes your MC seem like an obnoxious teenager.

Faia Merth wrote:All I can see are the small bubbles of air escaping from my lips and speeding up to the surface of the ocean. Fear overcomes me and I fight wildly against the water that was stealing my life from me. Darkness takes over my vision and my lungs convulse painfully. The small remains of life slip through my fingers like smoke.

Telling, not showing. How is this girl feeling? Why is she drowning? Is she thinking about death? Also, there are some things that I think are described a little inaccurately.

Faia Merth wrote:speeding up to the surface of the ocean

Gives the image in my head of a sort of steamboat. Try: I watch in horror as air bubbles exit my mouth and leave, heading towards the surface.

Faia Merth wrote:The small remains of life slip through my fingers like smoke.

Dont use smoke...Use something like 'thin air'.

Overall on this prologue thing, I think it is pretty good, but you should stretch it out a little bit more and maybe start before she has gotten in the mess. I don't know what happened, so lets just say this girl is going for a boat ride with her boyfriend. The boat crashes, hits the rocks. You could have some real potential action there.

Faia Merth wrote:I knew that I was dead, yet I felt strangely alive. My body was completely numb and weightless, as if I were floating in space.

Okay, so you've been doing this whole thing in present tense, and in these two sentences, you switch to past tense. Pleas be consitent. Also, is the main character Christian? If she knew that she was dead, wouldn't she think she was in heaven?

Faia Merth wrote:My mind is blank. I can’t seem to process any thoughts, can’t seem to remember anything. Focusing all my will and power to my fingers, I try to move them. To feel something.

A little pointless description. You can take out the second paragraph which i quoted.

Faia Merth wrote:A flat, emotionless voice of a women blasts through my head. “F58, are you able to communicate?”
My eyes slit open groggily. I blinked a few times before I was able to fully open them, which were greeted by a plain white ceiling. Pain shot through my head, making the white ceiling begin to fade, but I force myself to remain conscious. Memories of my life shot through my head at a speed faster than light. Little to late for the “life flashing before the eyes” moment.

Here there is alot adverb and adjective repetition and things don't make sense. Instead of 'making the white ceiling begin to to fade' how about 'everything around me starts blurry. Also, Pain 'shot', you are using past tense again. With the last two sentences, telling, not showing. Describe the memories. You can delete the last sentence, because it contradicts the one before it.

Faia Merth wrote: “F58, are you able to communicate?” said the emotionless women again.

I think Its been established that the woman is emotionless, and that your MC can't exactly feel anything. Also, this sentence is in past-tense again. Please pick a tense and stay with it.

Faia Merth wrote:“Incorrect answer. Are you able to communicate?”

Is the emotionless woman a robot?

Faia Merth wrote:I took a deep breath and forced my body up into a sitting position, squeezing my eyes shut from the stiffness and pain. My spine cracked loudly as I slouched over and let the breath I was holding out slowly.

Again, a lot of pointless description...

Faia Merth wrote:“Do you have a name?” asked the women.

This switching between past and present tense is really starting to annoy me.

Faia Merth wrote:Her skin was translucent, showing all her veins clearly as if they were blue lines drawn on paper. No hair was to be found on top of her head, just smooth clammy skin. Her features were sharp and defined, skin stretched out over them and looking like it might tear. She had no eyebrows or ears, just holes on the sides of her head. Her lips were slightly more coloured than the rest of her. Her eyes were what horrified me the most though. They had sunk deep into her eye sockets and were pure white, with pinpricks of black pupils.

Okay, this a little bit of an adjective bomb / purple prose. It goes into over-extravagant description and stops the story.

Faia Merth wrote:My stomach did flips and quickly covered my mouth with my hand so I wouldn’t puke. Swallowing hard, I removed my hand from my mouth and tried to form words. “W-where am I?” My voice shook horribly and I felt sick. Everything felt wrong.

This is good. Lots of good dialogue and description.

Faia Merth wrote:None of this makes any sense. This can’t be happening. This has to be a nightmare of some sort. Yeah, that makes sense. This is just a nightmare. I tore my eyes away from the creature and to my surroundings.

Again, don't stop passages of your story for over-extravagant description.

Faia Merth wrote:“What is your time living in years?” asked the creature, its lips barely moving.
“Do you have parents?”
What a weird question to ask. “Of coarse I do. They’re names are Dave and Loretta Birstmor. Have they been notified that I’m not actually dead?”
“How did you wake up?”
I swear my heart must have stopped when the word “die” emerged from the creatures lips. My head began to spin, my stomach churn again and my heart try to break my ribcage. My brain was in absolute shock and I whispered,” I drowned.”

Okay, this passage is kind of boring, and a little bit of an info-dump. If she is waking up in 'The Real World', wouldn't the creature already knew she was?

Positives

This is very provocative, and has alot of good dialogue. Keeps me reading, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Negatives

The consistency with your tenses is bad, there is some purple prose, info dumps/adjective bombs. I can't tell where the plot is going.

Overall

Great, well-thought out story. Good Idea. Can't wait to read more!"

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm
Rj Rock says...

I have to agree with the other reviews. Lots of the sentences are ordered weirdly and it is rather off putting. Apart from that though, I have to say that the actual plot is brilliant and I would like to read more.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:33 am
Abocreature says...

Hello, Faia.

For positives...

You know, from the initial description it sounded like a matrix-type story. However, after reading it (which I'm glad I did), it's a lot better than that.
The story is fresh and creative. Your character is realistic, which is something I have a struggle with.
I love your descriptions. I could visualize the creature in my head clearly; emotions and feelings were portrayed very well.

As for negatives...

Like many people above me pointed out, you need to watch those tenses, making sure to keep them all the same.
Some words could be replaced with more description. Only a couple things, nothing major in that respect.

Overall a great story, definitely worth reading. On to part two.

Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson