z

Young Writers Society

Blurb of "Tainted Life"

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:54 pm
Calmal says...

In 2093, thousands of radioactive meteors pummelled the Solar System. Hundreds of huge space craft left Earth in a chaotic mass to find help yet thousands were left behind to suffer the terrible apocalypse. After 9 years of space travel among the stars, most of those ships found the greedy Undrux, mysterious Fargon, warlike Braxton and psychokinetic Mellis Empires. With the help of the new found allies, human colonies proliferate the galaxy under the protection of the AHD (Armed Humanitarian Defence) 200 years after those first encounters. But the fate of the other few ships remained a mystery, until now. As humanity races back to its home planet to reclaim its rightful system a Dark New Enemy rises and threatens the very existence of the entire Universe…
Last edited by Calmal on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calmal

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:01 am
Snoink says...

This is more of a summary of the conflict rather than the story. Or maybe it's a prologue... I can't tell. Flesh it out and make it sparkle. It'll be better, trust me. :)

By the way, you may want to say that the meteors are pummeling Earth, simply because if they were pummeling the Solar System, we wouldn't be able to leave the Solar System. So keep in mind the science always. Science fiction is generally supposed to have some background in science. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:55 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Hi Calmal. I'm Conrad Rice, and I'll be your reviewer for today.

So, this does seem an awful lot like just a prologue. It sets up a history, details some factions that might come into play, and then provides a setting. It doesn't really tell us a full story.

And, since this is science fiction, you really ought to explain to us some of the things that are happening here. For one, radioactive meteors? How do thousands of radioactive meteors occur? And you throw four alien races at us, but never bother to even explain what makes them alien. At this point, they're just real names. Expand this. If you're just describing a setting, then go nuts with it. Describe every single detail and really make the world come alive. Otherwise, this just seems like a blurb on the back of a book.

This does have some potential to it. You just need to do some work with it to bring out that potential. PM me if you have any questions or comments.

Good luck.

-Conrad Rice
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:03 pm
Stealth_Slicer says...

I like the blurb too. Unfortunately I read chapter one first so wasn’t fully informed on what has happening but now I understand. I really like chapter one as I said in my other post. Also really like how you call the unknown enemy a
Dark New Enemy
and how you say the existence of the entire universe is under threat.

However I think you could have given a description of the alien races, and how Humanity reacted to being forced off Earth was it chaos or rather ordered?

All the best.

"Honestly, I think the world is going to end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight. We do have choices."
— Dean Winchester