z

Young Writers Society

I Hate Him *21*

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:12 am
Nike says...

Spoiler! :
BY THE WAY: This is the very last chapter of I Hate Him. The sequal, I Loathe Him will be posted later. ENJOY!

As the music played through my earphones, I watched Georgie reading a book. The thing was she never read books unless she was upset.

Now that was confusing. Why was she upset…?

"Ohhh," she murmured with a tear rolling down her tan cheek.

"That's it," I whispered under my breath.

Pressing Pause on my iPod, I got off my lounge chair and walked up to her. She looked up at me; her eyes were as red as fresh grown tomatoes.

"What's wrong?! You've been mopping around for this past week!" I asked.

She shut her book, setting it down onto the side table.

"What's wrong?! Oh, you know what's wrong! Dammit." she hissed.

Okay, no more drama. What was up with her?

"Well...?! I don't know what's wrong, that's why I'm asking! Why else would I be asking, for the satisfaction to hear the reason why once again?" I said harshly.

I now that i should be going easy on her, I know. But, I couldn't help it.

"See?! You said once again!" she stated.

Rolling my eyes, I bent down to her level.

"I was just suggesting what you thought since I don't actually know what's going on. Just tell me, I'm your best friend, you can talk to me about anything and you know that."

She sniffled and spoke up, "Fine. You know Laura, right? Well, she asked Sam out and he said he would go out with her!" she sobbed.

Oh dammit! That man has to learn what a girl feels...

"Listen, sh, sh, sh... I'll have a talk with him," I said under my breath.

Digging her face into her hands, she kept on sobbing. Not only did she have a crush on him, but, she loved him. she was pissed that I dated Sam for like a week, but she knew it was kind of a stepping stone to who I was supposed to be with. She got over it, eventually, but she never got over loving Sam.

That was the problem folks, that was the problem.

"No, there's no point. He doesn't like me anyway..." she sniffled.

"So you're just gonna wait for him to say something?! You gotta get over him girl! I know, it'll be hard for you, no, scratch that, very hard for you, but you have to. It's your responsibility." I sighed.

"No, how can I get over him?! What if he changes his mind?! And then what, I get over him and he wants me then!"

"Then you say it was too late for him, unless you start to feel the same way again, then that's a different story." I explained.

She pulled me into a bear hug, squishing me as if I felt no pain at all. But I did squeak out an, "Ow," and she let me go.

"Thanks, you're the best," she said, wiping her tears.

"See, I told you I can help you," I cheered her up.

“You didn’t really Jessa, you just cleared something up. I need to tell him…” she got cut off with someone storming into the room.

Speaking of the wolf…

Sam came in, covered in sweat from head to toe. His hair was sticking to his forehead. I looked away in disgust as Georgie star gazed at the man, I mean boy.

“Georgie, Jessa, Harry –he was in a car accident.” He spoke slowly.

“Wh-what?!” I stood up, letting my tears fall.

I felt as if someone stabbed me in the stomach, letting the blood flow and hit the ground. My breathing accelerated, causing me to get a bit dizzy.

Harry was in a car accident?! What the hell?!

Sam came up to me, pulling me into a hug. Even though he was as sweaty as a boxer, I let that hang. Georgie joined, squeezing me tightly.

I think she just wanted an excuse to get closer to Sam, to touch him or something. But at the same time, I do need comfort right now.

“What the hell happened Sam and how the hell do you know?” I asked in between breaths.

We pulled away, Sam keeping me in a side hug.

“I was on my morning jog…” he started.

“Wait, you jog?” I chuckled to myself.

It is a shocker when you think of it. Sam jogging, It’s like Harry playing an instrument, never gonna happen.

But it did, I know. So fail at that point.

“Yes, moving on…” he darted his eyes at mine. “… I was on my morning jog, and.” He said and loudly so I wouldn’t talk in his words.

“Harry called me from the hospital. I know, awkward and weird, but he said you didn’t even bother answer your phone. Neither did you, Georgie,” he took a quick glance at her.

“So, as if he had no other choice how to reach you, he contacted me. You might want to go see him, he’s out of surgery.”

I pulled away from his grasp, my jaw dropping.

“Wait what?! SURGERY!?” I asked, tears falling even more.

No, no, no, no, no! He cannot have surgery! He could’ve gotten a small fracture, scar or something that doesn’t consist of surgery! No, he just told me he still loved me, that was two days ago. Me, being an idiot, I ran away from him and locked myself in my room until he left, and even after that just in case.

I never got a chance to reply just yet. And now he’s in surgery, well, he’s out of surgery, BUT HE WAS IN SURGERY!

What the hell do I do now? It’s way too late.

I can’t pity him, like I would ever pity him. But, I’m just worried he would even think that.

“Yeah, his leg was bleeding like heck, that’s what he told me over the phone. So they needed to check it out, they said it’s broken. You know what? Go to the hospital and he’ll tell you everything, the doctor might as well.” He explained.

Taking that idea, I ran out of the room, not caring, seeing, hearing, and feeling anything but the need to get to the hospital.

Calling my dad, he picked me up early, driving me straight to the hospital. Sam gave me the details on the way of which hospital. I was still in the same state, I felt nothing at all.

How could this happen, that idiot.

Jerk.

Freak.

I Hate Him even more now.

No.

No.

No.

He needs me right now.

“Jessa, we’re here.” My dad said, ignoring the fact that I’m completely zoned out.

He knew there was no point of bothering me; I’m in torture at the thought of what happened to Harry. Why him?! And why did it have to impact me?!

What if he was attached to some sort of machine contraption? What if he had tubes connected to him?

What if…?!

No, I’m over reacting here, now I gotta relax. How can I relax in a situation like this?!

We hopped out of the car, my dad running after me. I didn’t even know that I was running, nor did I realize the tears that were streaming down my cheeks, causing me to go blind for a minute from the fact that all I could see is blurriness.

I stopped, breathing deeply, noticing I’m right in front of the entrance. The glass doors, about nine feet high, opened before me.

The smell of a doctor’s office and soap swarmed toward me, drawing me away –either way, I walked in, hearing me father almost wheezing behind me.

That’s when a security guard, fat as can be, bigger than Kevin James! And Kevin is awesome, but this guy, I don’t know about that…

He was wearing a brown like coffee uniform, black elegant shoes and a badge, so shiny I almost went blind!

“Excuse me miss, you cannot come in here.” He said voice really deep.

What? Can’t anyone go in?

“Uh, um, excuse me sir but I’m here to see my friend, he just got into a car accident and…”

That fatty cut me off with a harsh, “Hesitation. You are lying. Do you know what kind of punishment you could get once you lie m’am?!”

My dad came up to us with a stern look on his face. Thank God, that means he heard him. He can help me get in faster.

“Hi, I’m her father and we’re here to see her boy- I mean friend since he just got out of surgery. He was in a car accident.” My dad explained, arms crossed over his chest.

“You must be delusional sir. No one can come in at this time.”

No, that’s not possible. Anyone can go into a hospital, I swear. That’s when I gave up and dialed in Harry’s number on my phone, hey, who knows, maybe he’ll pick up.

This will prove I’m telling the truth.

“Hello…?” I heard him ask over the receiver.

“Harry, It’s me, Jessa. Where are you?” I asked.

“Uh, hi Jessa…” he seemed to trail off. “Oh, I’m at the hospital,”

He was on speaker so the guard could hear.

“That could be anyone lying; he had so much hesitation… wait, Harry? No, they cannot know that Harry, wait, her name is Jessa…” the guard started to talk to himself.

What is he saying?

That guy is such a weirdo.

As he thinks to himself, I look at my dad, showing my best begging face. His eyes widened, showing the blue I have in mine.

“Jessa Fuller?” the guy asked skeptically.

“Uh, yes…?” hesitation, I know, but I am Jessa Fuller!

“Were you talking about Harry Hertz by any chance, I doubt it but, were you?” he asked.

“Yes, I was talking about Harry Hertz.”

I forgot all about the phone call. So when Harry spoke up, I jumped, feeling my heart almost jump out of my chest.

“Is anyone there?” Harry said.

“Ye-yeah, I’ll see you in the hospital,” I hung up.

“You can come in, but without your father.”

Placing my hands on my hips, I didn’t move a muscle in my legs. I am not going in without my dad, never.

“its okay sweetie, go in without me.” My dad said to me.

“No dad, I want you to come with me. Come on, he knows him too. Please, I mean, he is my dad!”

The guard stood his ground, not replying for a couple of minutes.

“How do I know if he’s really your dad or if you’re really Jessa Fuller, Jessa Fuller.” He put quotes around my name.

“Yeah, if you keep thinking about that buddy, you won’t know who you are by tomorrow.” I chuckled.

“You can come in,” he said, watching us like a Hawk.

My dad and I stepped inside, feeling the cold AC cool us down. A doctor came up to us, all smiles.

A lot of doctors and nurses roamed the halls, running to their patient. A nurse’s desk, covered by seven of them, was right in front of us.

“Hi, and you are…?” he asked, wearing blue scrubs.

“I’m Mac Fuller, I’m looking for Harry Hertz.” My dad greeted.

“Oh, I’m his doctor! Dr. Hemmer, I’ll take you two there.” He said, walking away.

We followed as we passed by many patients. There were so many diseases that I actually never heard of them! Some people were yellow, and some were connected to some tubes or even wires. It’s crazy.

Dr. Hemmer came to a halt in front of a patient’s room. It was one of those ones that people with horrible sicknesses or diseases like cancer or something. That’s when I got more nervous, shivering like crazy.

He opened the door and my heart was pounding horribly fast.

Harry was laying on a bed, no wires or cables or tubes connected to him at all. That gave me a lot of relief that I sighed. His leg was hanging from this contraption and it was in this huge white cast.

I ran up to his bed, walking to his side. It was such a relief to see him fine. His eyes were shut, he must be sleeping.

The walls were dull, as usual, like in any hospital, all grey. There was a window above his head with white curtains on them as they waved from the wind. My dad sat next to me on the world’s most uncomfortable throw up green chair.

Ew, I know.

But if people came here to see the patients, they could at least make comfortable seating, right?!

I grabbed his hand, feeling the warmth and tingles climb up my arm. It was so familiar that I shook from shock.

Harry must’ve felt me shake because he woke up, eyes opening slowly.

“Harry,” I sighed.

He smiled. What a surprise… *note the sarcasm*.

“You came,”

“I said I would duh, what the heck happened?!” I asked.

Even though it’s a bad time to ask these sorts of questions, I had to. This was very important.

“I was driving home from basketball practice and then I was at a stop light. Then some idiot decided to miss the stop light on the crossing and rammed into the left side of my car.” He explained.

“Oh my gosh.” I said.

I can’t believe this. What kind of idiot would do that?!

“At least you’re okay.”

He smiled again, squeezing my hand slightly. I pulled my hand away abruptly, afraid of this interaction.

I don’t like it anymore.

Or maybe I do.

Nope.

My dad tapped me on the shoulder so I turned my head around. He pointed at the door and smiled.

“I’m getting some coffee, want some?” he asked me.

“Mhm, thank dad, love you.” I kissed him on the cheek and felt his beard tickle my lips.

He knew I needed a little bit of privacy right now, and that man just always needed coffee. He’s not a coffee-a-holic but he loves it for everyday purposes.

My dad, leaving the room, shut the door. The doctor left already.

Harry shifted in his seat so he could sit up. I helped him.

“Look, Jessa, what I told you that night… I don’t regret it at all. But, I just want to know what you feel.” He started out.

“I can’t say because I don’t know yet. I really wish I could do something about it, but…” I felt some tears growing behind my eyes.

“…I just can’t. Sorry, can you forgive me?” I asked.

He looked really sick, even though he isn’t. I thought he was going to burst out crying right there and then.

Those eyes were all red, and he was sniffling a little.

“Of course I can Jessa, you didn’t do anything wrong.” He grabbed my hand and squeezed it once again.

“Thank you,”

“I’m really happy you came by,” he said.

I squeezed his hand back, sending little spiders crawling down my spine. Damn, this is a new feeling, no, wait, it’s not.

“I’m really happy you’re fine.” I said, smiling.

That’s when he leaned in closer to me, shutting his eyes in the process. I pulled away abruptly, covering his mouth with my hand.

“Harry, no.”

His eyes opened in shock.

“I told you already,”

He pulled my hand down but I still spoke. “Harry, please no.”

“Okay,” he stopped.

I gave out a sigh of relief, shocking Harry once again.

“Sorry, again. I’m just…”

“Not ready,” he chuckled.

I smiled.

Thank God he stopped, unlike the last time I stopped him.

Why was the security guard so skeptical? And why did that idiot do that? I mean, sure, idiots don’t know who they are crashing into, but this one was weird for some reason. I felt lied to and un trusted.

Maybe I’ll find out later. But all that matters now is that he’s safe.

“When are you going to be ready?” Harry asked.

“Don’t rush me,” I said.

“I rushed you last time, and you liked it.”

“How do you know if I liked it?!”

He smirked, showing that he’s joking around with me. I can’t believe I hated him for that long, four years.

That’s a long time to me.

For me.

Whatever.

“I don’t know, but I want to.” He replied.

“Please, you don’t and you’ll never know.”

That’s when my phone vibrated. I pulled it out of my jean pocket, looking at the green Pantech. It was a text from an Unknown Number.

Hei u r deaaad

What the…?

THE END
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

1503 Reviews

Reviews: 1503
Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:15 pm
IcyFlame says...

I've reached the end!
My thoughts overall are this:
The plot was good
The style was consistent but not in the best way
You told us rather than showed us way too much
The chapters were like a story in themselves up until a certain point
We need to feel more attached to the characters involved
You did a great job in finishing this!

If you fancy taking me up on the advanced crit, feel free to write on my wall or pm me. I'll make it as broad/detailed as you'd like.

The ending in particular wasn't the best. It needs a lot more Umph! You can do it though. I know it.
Good luck editing! :)

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:40 pm
Cotton says...

hello :D I am grammar and punctuation freak, here to irritate - nice to meet you!
Generally, you have a nice variation of sentence structure and go beyond just "bla bla bla" he said, "bla bla bla" she said type of speech, which is great!

There are a few things I want to point out to you, which I'm sure you know perfectly well how to do properly, so are probably just finger slips that a good thorough proof-read would do swiftly away with.

"What's wrong?! You've been mopping around for this past week!" I asked.

She shut her book, setting it down onto the side table.

"What's wrong?! Oh, you know what's wrong! Dammit." she hissed.

OK, a few things here. Firstly, try to avoid using "?!" as much as possible, because what the "!" adds to the "?" can be done perfectly well with a nice adjective - like this:

"What's wrong?" I exclaimed, determined to get to the bottom of this. "You're been moping around for the past week!"

See? Now, next thing: try to keep starting a new paragraph to when a new character does/says something. So here, you don't really need to start a new paragraph after "She shut her book, setting it down onto the side table." Because I thought for a minute that when she spoke, it was actually the first person again. Also, where she repeats "What's wrong?", that needs to be in a second set of speech marks, but you could also use just the single apostrophe.
Third thing: at the end, "she hissed" describes the speech. So at the end of the speech, you need a comma. Now, taking all of this together, this section now might go like this:

"What's wrong?" I exclaimed (or, "I asked her in a firm voice" or something), determined to get to the bottom of this. "You're been moping around for the past week!"
She shut her book, setting it down onto the side table. "'What's wrong?'? Oh, you know what's wrong! Dammit," she hissed.

Wonderful :D

I now that i should be going easy on her, I know. But, I couldn't help it.

Whoops, capital "I" please! And a "k" on "know" at the beginning - you wrote now xD
Also, you're writing in the past tense. So it should really be "I knew that I should be going easy on her, I knew. But I couldn't help it."

"See, I told you I can help you," I cheered her up.

This is part of the whole description-outside-the-speech-describing-the-speech thing, because "I cheered her up" is a bit dodgy as a direct description - it's more of a statement. So either put a full stop after "help you.", or if you want to keep the comma this would work: ""See, I told you I could help you," I said, glad I was cheering her up."
I think "could" fits better than "can", as well...

So yeah, generally pretty minor things, just have another read through and check your commas and full stops and capital letters. Otherwise, really nice!

~*cottonrulz*~
Here's a story of a brother by the name of Othello,
He liked white women and he liked - green jello... - Reduced Shakespeare Company

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon