z

Young Writers Society

In the House with Chicken Feet (1)

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Tue May 03, 2011 2:59 am
GryphonFledgling says...

1 - Beginning (part 1 of 2)

Hin Langoleer had not been born a lucky child.

o-o-o

He had thought the hut was abandoned. The thatch was overgrown with moss and mildew and the boards of the narrow porch creaked and shattered under the cleats of his sandals. The walls of wood and paper and adobe were crumbling and worm-eaten. The door opened easily and the inside was dark, damp and dirty. It was old and out of the way. Perfect for a someone wrongly accused of theft to hide, even if it did feel like malignant spirits were peeping from beneath every cobweb.

But it seemed to be bigger on the inside than one might think from looking at it. As Hin crouched in a corner, waiting for the drumming of his heartbeat to quiet, he peered through the gloom to the far corners of the interior. It stretched for many paces in all directions and there seemed to be doors leading into other rooms. He knew better than to investigate. Lucky he was not, and so he had learned not to look gift horses in the mouth. The sound of shouting and footsteps running along the path outside caused him to jump and hunch like a cornered rabbit.

"Think he went in there?" someone asked as the footsteps slowed to a crunching halt.

"Not if he knows what's good for him. That's Baba Mayuko's house, isn't it?"

Baba? This was a baba's house? Hin could have died right then of a stopped heart. Laughter designed to hide chills skating up spines sounded outside and the footsteps retreated hastily to avoid the witch's wrath.

o-o-o

Or perhaps he had. In any case, he'd been cursed when he was born and so any luck he might have had was taken away, so it was close enough to the truth to say he hadn't. The baba who cursed him hadn't been invited to his christening and that was what had done it. His father had been trying to save money at the arrival of this, his seventh son. With six healthy boys ahead of Hin, not to mention the three sisters before all of them, and a baba having been invited to each of their christenings at great expense, he thought that perhaps this last child could enter the world a bit more humbly. Surely, he was not expected to put out the invitation for the seventh son, who was bound to be of no consequence, when he had nine other offspring to feed?

She had appeared anyway, and as little Hin Langoleer was rubbed with rice vinegar and the wax was still cooling on the family naming papers, the light bulbs up and down the room burst and the baba had appeared at the cradle's edge.

She looked like a baba should, but that wasn't enough on its own. Everyone knew half the babas in the world weren't really. Any old hag could hang a crow's foot or sack of garlic from her neck and frighten everyone with muttering. But Hin's father had always believed in better safe than sorry. He lost his faith a little when the last nine blessings had come to naught for his family, but as this baba reached into the crib and gently took out the three-hour old Hin, a crackle of power skittered along the ceiling.

"Little Hin Langoleer," the baba intoned without even having glanced at the naming papers, "you have a mark of greatness on you."

This normally would have been a cause for celebration and a showering of gifts upon the family for having provided such a child, but the baba spat the words like fish bones to rattle on the floor. The only light was the candle that had been used to melt the wax and it cast long streaks of orange across the baba's face.

"A mark of nobility too, and of grace and wisdom." Each word hissed with venom, like grease in a fire. "And yet you seem to think you need no blessing to help you on your path."

Hin's father would have been the last person to point out it hadn't been the child's fault for not inviting the baba to his own christening.

"And so," she continued, still holding the baby carefully in the crook of her arm, "I curse you, little Hin Langoleer. You will never bring fortune to your family. No person shall ever bow to you. And your toes shall always and forever be webbed."

Then she settled the baby back among his blankets and marched away, snagging three meat skewers from the refreshment table as she passed. Hin simply waved his hands before his nose and blinked. He had not cried or uttered a sound through the entire ordeal.

And so he grew. His father never spoke to Hin, the disgrace of a son who was an entire tenth mouth to feed without even a promise of fortune, but it didn't matter because Hin's father was rude and brash and no one liked to talk to him. No one every bowed to Hin as was customary, but it didn't matter because it meant everyone thought he was a heathen and so no one expected him to bow either. He could laugh at people's bald spots and poorly tied braids and there was nothing anyone saw fit to do about it. His webbed toes gave him more trouble, since it meant the thong of his sandal rubbed uncomfortably at the flap between his big and second toes, but after a time, he devised a way to tie his sandal behind his heel and that was all right too.

But he was still cursed and now it was catching up to him. Why else would he have done something so foolish as to hide in a baba's house?

o-o-o

It seemed so obvious now. If he held his breath, he could almost imagine he could hear the house's claws scratching at the dirt beneath the floorboards.

But, as he forced himself to take a deep breath, perhaps not all was lost. The house felt empty. Abandoned, even. Perhaps this wasn't really the baba's house, or she was away. Perhaps she had even died. Maybe, if he left now, no one would be the wiser. In any case, he was more willing to face the bowl vendor accusing him of theft than he was a baba catching him trespassing.

But then, on his way out, his lack of luck caught up to him again and his sandal caught on a broken floorboard. Hin tried to twist out of the stumble, but instead, he went crashing painfully and very loudly to the floor, pulling down a broken panel of wall down with him. The sandal went flying, the ankle strap coming untied from its clumsy knot.

Hin picked himself from the shattered remains of wood and paper and cast about desperately for his footwear, pulse roaring in his ears. Then he froze, catching sight of the figure holding the sandal.

"A thief in the baba's house, eh?"

It was a woman's voice, low and dry, coming from what looked like a bundle of rags at the corner of the porch, just under the gutter overhang. A thin, tan hand grasped the sandal, holding it out like bait, and a pair of wild brown eyes sized Hin up from under an even wilder arrangement of black hair. The eyes seemed to glow in the gathering twilight, like rats' eyes.

"A-are you the baba?" Hin stammered, throwing himself onto the ground in a position of complete surrender. He couldn't see the woman where his face was pressed to the rotting wood, but he could hear the shifting of her rags and something hard scraping over the floor as she moved.

"No," she said, without anger or cursing. If anything, she sounded like she was laughing. It wasn't a pleasant sound. "But you'd best be running along, little Frog-Toes, before she comes and finds you."

Hin's webbed feet curled and froze with fear, but he forced his head up.

"Y-yes. Thank you."

The woman hadn't moved all that much, just extended one equally thin and tan foot from beneath the rags. The hand not holding the sandal was hidden, buried in the rags about her torso, hugging some sort of staff or cane to her chest so that it extended over her shoulder. She didn't look like a baba, with her long face and hooded eyes. And she didn't seem to be interested in giving him his sandal back.

"Uh, please-"

"Run, Tadpole. I'm warning you." She was smiling, her teeth a white gash in her brown face, and she was still holding out his sandal as if taunting him. She was too far for him to reach it. He couldn't leave it. He was the only person in the village to wear his sandals the way he did. The baba would find him.

"I-"

"Oh, sorry. Too late." The woman didn't seem sorry at all.

At first, Hin didn't hear anything and for one wild moment, he thought the woman was teasing him and he was going to make a break for it and everything would be fine. Then he saw the way the house was suddenly lighting up from within. It was more than simple light too. In each circle of illumination, from candles to light bulbs to lava lamps, the varnish and paint was restored on the walls. Cracked glass wasn't anymore and mold melted into wallpaper designs. Shadows fell on corners of furniture that were suddenly there and the hallway of doors stretched further and further back until the end was lost into the white of light.

The last light to come on was a glowing line of neon around the door Hin had stumbled through and in its harsh pink glow, he crouched, frozen, on freshly sawed and sanded boards.

A silhouette appeared in the doorway.

"Got a present for the baba, Tua," the woman said, wrapped in her rags, still holding the sandal. The silhouette didn't answer.

"What?" Hin couldn't help it. He gaped at the woman, who somehow still managed to be in the shadows despite the light streaming from every cranny of the house. "You-"

"I told you to run. Too late now." The sandal disappeared as she tucked her other hand against her body as well. Her stick rapped against the wall behind her.

The silhouette still said nothing, but as Hin finally gathered his wits enough to escape, the black shadow materialized into a man, his arms, legs and face too long for the rest of him, and a hand corded with tendons clamped itself on the back of Hin's neck.

o-o-o

Last edited by GryphonFledgling on Tue May 10, 2011 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Tue May 03, 2011 3:39 am
View Likes
psudiname says...

This piece was very well done, and I have to say I enjoyed reading it. You do very well with description and mood, both of which help draw the reader in. I don't yet know how well you do charecter development, because in a first chapter it's very hard to tell, but keep up the good work in terms of imagery. You also did well in explaining the world you created, with only a few minor issues. These issues were mainly just points where I was confused and had to ponder what you meant, or what something was, but I was never confused as to what was going on.

One of these issues came when you mentioned light bulbs, which would suggest the setting is fairly modern and somewhat more advanced than a midieval time period. This, however, got confusing when you also mentioned candles. Unless the power goes out, I don't know anyone who uses candles if they have lightbulbs available. Either clarify why they are using both, or only mention one.

I was again confused when you said that the house had claws. Maybe you plan on explaining this in a later chapter, but for the reader, it's kind of confusing to be told that a house has claws, and then to have you completely ignore the issue.

Again, in another place you say "Luckily he was not..." He was not what? I searched extensively, but I couldn't find the direct object of that sentence. It would give me much peace of mind if you would add one.

So besides that, the story was great, and I look forward to reading further chapters.
Your friend,
---Psudiname
if anyone wants a review, post on my profile and I'll get to it in a couple days.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue May 03, 2011 3:57 am
View Likes
Jiggity says...

Hey Gryph! *waves*

I saw this in my newsfeed and thought I should come and take a look. I'm glad I did, it's really quite good and interesting too. I loved the opening, and the repetition of 'Hin Langoleer had not been born a lucky child', you use it to great effect.

He had thought the hut was abandoned. The thatch was overgrown with moss and mildew and the boards of the narrow porch creaked and shattered under the cleats of his sandals. The walls of wood and paper and adobe were crumbling and worm-eaten. The door opened easily and the inside was dark, damp and dirty. It was old and out of the way. Perfect for a someone wrongly accused of theft to hide, even if it did feel like malignant spirits were peeping from beneath every cobweb.

You have a lot of similarly structured sentences here that also happen to say pretty much the same thing. Lots of description tied by 'and' - it's not as though you're misusing it, as such, but the opening paragraph is important, especially after that great first line. Just a take a look at what's being said though, 'moss, mildew, creaked, shattered,' the wood, paper, adobe were 'crumbling, worm-eaten', inside was 'dark, damp, dirty', 'old, out of the way' etc. You really don't need all of that. Just one or two to accurately sum up the setting.

I don't think the word 'shattered' is what you're going for there, either, if the boards shattered, he'd have slipped or fallen, no? Not to mention it would have been really loud. I feel like the word you were going for is 'shuddered'. I'm actually not too sure on the grammar for this, but I also think you can get rid of 'was' in the first sentence.

But It seemed to be bigger on the inside than one might think from looking at it. As Hin crouched in a corner, waiting for the drumming of his heartbeat to quiet, he peered through the gloom to the far corners of the interior. It stretched for many paces in all directions and there seemed to be doors leading into other rooms. He knew better than to investigate. Lucky he was not, and so he had learned not to look gift horses in the mouth. The sound of shouting and footsteps running along the path outside caused him to jump and hunch like a cornered rabbit.

But it seemed to be bigger on the inside than one might think from looking at it.

There's a few things wrong here. Firstly, let's get rid of the 'but'. Secondly, it either is or it isn't bigger - you're insinuating here that it's actually not bigger inside, that it's just the perception of Hin, whereas I think you're going for a TARDIS-style scenario here, no? Also, 'from looking at it' --the last thing mentioned is the 'inside' so you're effectively saying:

it might be bigger on the inside than you think from looking inside

Technically. It's a very uncertain, awkward sentence and it annoyed me, so yeah, I focused on it perhaps to an unnecessary degree. Still, these first few paragraphs are integral! They need to be clear and concise, hooking the reader in without a hitch. There's another sentence in that paragraph where you say 'there seemed to be doors leading into...' and again with the seeming! He can either see the doors or he can't. Why is he so unsure?

Then she settled the baby back among his blankets and marked away

marched

"And so," she continued, still holding the baby carefully in the crook of her arm, "I curse you, little Hin Langoleer. You will never bring fortune to your family. No person shall ever bow to you. And your toes shall always and forever be webbed."

Now, I loved this scene, really did, it was very cool and this isn't really a problem so much as a suggestion and a thought on my part. I wonder if you could remove the 'I curse you' part of this, it's a sort of unnecessary drama on the part of the baba. Everyone there knows the import of her words, of her presence, and her venom and it's more powerful without her actually using those words. It would be better I think, if it went something like this:

"A mark of nobility too, and of grace and wisdom." Each word hissed with venom, like grease in a fire. "And yet you seem to think you need no blessing to help you on your path."

Hin's father would have been the last person to point out it hadn't been the child's fault for not inviting the baba to his own christening.

"And so," she continued, still holding the baby carefully in the crook of her arm, "You shall have none, little Hin Langoleer, not now or ever. You will bring no fortune to your family. No person shall ever bow to you. And your toes shall always and forever be webbed."

Totally a suggestion! Do it your own way, of course. I very much liked the way you showed the curse not only had very little effect on Hin, but actually liberated him in many respects. That was great.

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading this and the world you've built, it's interesting and fun and structurally speaking, it was very sound, really nicely circled back in on itself. Easily one of the better fantasy pieces I've come across here. I really hope you continue with it. Hope this helped.

Cheers

EDIT: Psudiname - the candle's purpose was to melt the wax used on the naming papers. It says as much.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Tue May 03, 2011 9:44 pm
silentpages says...

"jump and hunch like a cornered rabbit." Hm... This might be fine, but maybe... Jump THEN hunch? *tries to hunch and jump at the same time.*

"No wonder" No wonder what? There's no punctuation at the end of this, so I'm assuming it's a sentence that you forgot to finish.

"And your toes shall always and forever be webbed." But wait! It's a blessing in disguise! He's the next Aqua Lad! 8D

"... among his blankets and marked away, snagging three meat skewers from the refreshment table as she passed." Marched away. And, three skewers? Man, what a pig. ;)

"... house's claws scratching at the dirt beneath the floorboards." The house's claws. Is this a metaphor? Are the claws supposed to be something else, in actuality? I'm trying to figure this out in my head... Also, the floorboards are part of the house, so what would be scratching underneath them... *shrug* I think this might need to be more clear to make it work.

The o-o-o's... I'm not sure about them. I guess they work as dividers, but they show up a lot. Do you really need dividers in every place you put them? Also, something I just noticed was that after every one, there was that repeated line, that he wasn't born a lucky child. Except for the ONE place where this line follows it: "It seemed so obvious now. If he held his breath, he could almost imagine he could hear the house's claws scratching at the dirt beneath the floorboards." If you're going to have that line follow the dividers, make sure it's consistant. Also, is this divider thing going to be happening throughout the whole novel?

"he was more willing to face the bowl vendor accusing him of theft than he was a baba catching him trespassing." This is a lot of -ings. Maybe change it up a little so it doesn't sound as odd. "He was more willing to face a bowl vendor who accused him of theft than he was a baba who caught him trespassing."

I love the imagery and description in this. I can picture everything happening in my head, and I think you developed the setting really well, too.

"Cracked glass wasn't anymore and mold melted into wallpaper designs." First off, I loved this whole paragraph where the house is being restored. However, this line about the glass I think could be tweaked a little bit to make it sound as beautiful as the rest. Maybe something like, "Cracked glass fragments came together seamlessly." Or something. XD

"lava lamps" Wait, what time period is this in?

This is really good so far, and I look forward to seeing more. ^^ Like I said, I love the description, and I can tell that you have a very visual way of writing things. I liked the descriptions of Tua and the woman who had his shoe, especially. There are just a couple things, which I mentioned up above, and a lot of those might just be my preference.

Likin' this. :) Keep writing.
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed May 04, 2011 2:44 am
Jiggity says...

...People really need to brush up on their knowledge of random myths and legends and such. Don't y'all know of Baba Yaga? Really? The witch with iron teeth and a house with chicken legs that could move at her will. This - and I shouldn't have to explain - is obviously a world in which Babas are common (such a clever idea) and things are not as we imagine. It's a pet peeve of mine, this "time period" nonsense some people raise "oh but they didn't have such technology in the middle ages" --this is a fantasy world. No one ever said anything about the events of fantasy novels having to take place in the middle ages and as such, any kind of technology, any kind of mixture is possible. Accept the elements of the world that are presented to you and trust that things will become clearer as the story goes on - either it will be shown that these are common place, or an aberration known only to the babas or more likely, nothing will be said regarding it whatsoever. It's sort of like us discussing the significance of cars...we don't. It's common place and we use it without thinking.

Sorry...but like I said...it's a pet peeve of mine. Carry on.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Sat May 21, 2011 6:32 pm
StoryWeaver13 says...

I thought, since you'd been keeping up on my novel, I'd take a look at something of yours. So glad I did.
Seriously, this is...brilliant. I wasn't familiar with the myth, but looked at Jiggity's comment and honestly this seems like a unique and incredible idea. It's hard for me to really get the same "feel" when I'm reading from a computer rather than a book, but I got it with this chapter. I felt like I was reading a classic, and yet it didn't have the cons of being outdated or drab. I suppose I should find something to complain about, but in this case I won't. I liked it too much.
Keep writing, and I'll keep reading.
-StoryWeaver
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon May 23, 2011 12:57 am
ashjoy7 says...

If you've never heard "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mussorgsky, I'd definitely recommend it for inspiration. It is a classical piece which some people don't respond to well, but classical music actually is probably the best there is. Listen to No. 9 "The Hut on Fowl's Legs" aka "The House with Chicken's Feet" aka "Baba Yaga". It's a really creepy piece, very epic, fast paced, with slow creepy parts. I've actually played it, I'm a cello player in a youth orchestra and it's one of my favorites. It's not boring at all, promise.

Here's a piano version on youtube with an animation, kind of funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTiyUSD9HNM

This is just an orchestra, but it's kind of cool to watch the pros, music is better here than the previous one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZkoW1Ta3ew&feature=related

Anyway, try it out. I bet it would help you get another insight into this Russian myth.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri May 27, 2011 4:06 am
Snoink says...

I totally thought of the Mussorgsky song too! And, it is an awesome song. But you knew this.

I looove this piece! I love the whole house with the chicken feet idea... that folk tale is something I forgot about, so when I saw it, I felt like a little girl again. Neat stuff!

I really like Elmo... she seems to be such a rotten character, but I think she's probably a sweetheart. Well... once you get to know her anyway. But I love how she won't give him his sandal back, even though he asks. I'm not sure why he would think that she would use it against him or anything... I would think that people would actually stay away from the baba, actually, because who wants to be near a scary baba? Unless, of course, you're about to have a baby or something.

It would be really cool to see more of the people's reactions to Hin... that way, we can get a better sense of who might have framed him. Unless that doesn't matter anyway! And, you should probably drop the idea that he thought he was framed. Unless he WASN'T framed. But then, why would he try to lie? Hm.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:01 pm
Rosendorn says...

Late, yes. But we'll be ignoring that now.

800th review.

And so he grew. His father never spoke to Hin, the disgrace of a son who was an entire tenth mouth to feed without even a promise of fortune, but it didn't matter because Hin's father was rude and brash and no one liked to talk to him. No one every bowed to Hin as was customary, but it didn't matter because it meant everyone thought he was a heathen and so no one expected him to bow either. He could laugh at people's bald spots and poorly tied braids and there was nothing anyone saw fit to do about it. His webbed toes gave him more trouble, since it meant the thong of his sandal rubbed uncomfortably at the flap between his big and second toes, but after a time, he devised a way to tie his sandal behind his heel and that was all right too.

This confused me. A lot. It gives a fair chunk of worldbuilding and character and setting all in one dense paragraph. It also fast-tracks his life in such a way we don't get much of a connection with him. All the important details that would help define the setting/character are buried at the ends of sentences and I had a hard time absorbing it all.

I can sort of see your point for rambling on like this in here. You're showing the curse isn't really playing into his life for certain reasons, but these certain reasons are presented in such a way I'm not sure what to think. Instead of making this feel normal, it feels odd. This paragraph just seems to serve Time Skip purposes with information I'm not sure why is being shown to me. It gives a bit of a fairytale feel, which you seem to be going for, but at the same time I had a hard time getting past this paragraph.

My next point was the exchange between Hin and the old lady. It didn't seem to have much of a motivation for him staying. Yeah, if he left without his sandal then they'd find him, but why is that important? She seemed to want him gone and there was no real explanation for why she'd try to find him. Superstition? Revenge? The curse? It'd be nice to get an answer.

Overall, I'm not really sure what I think of this. Curious, yes, but I'll admit I had a hard time getting past certain parts (the christening, primarily). You've got the fairytale style of "it's happening this way because that's how the story goes," and while this provides a certain easy reading, it just doesn't feel complete? Hard to explain because of how subjective stuff like this is. I hope later chapters will clear the worldbuilding up, so it feels slightly more solid.

I think my main thing with this is how the plot doesn't seem solid yet, but I understand that's just an artifact of a new story and you're probably reading this going "I know already!" Which is why I'll stop now and just say I hope later chapters help solidify the world and I look forward to seeing how.

I will make a certain comment about the pace. In certain parts it's a bit slow, but sometimes the activities feel like they should be moving faster. When he gets caught in the house after his sandal goes flying, the sentences feel long and it's hard to get a scope of the action. During the christening the reverse seems to happen, almost, where the pace almost feels too fast to absorb what's going on and it'd be nice so we could slow down and get a feel for everything happening with some nice, flowy sentences like you have directly after.

Drop me a line if you have any questions/comments.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:36 pm
Simbacub says...

Helo, just reviewing here :) Ok so first up i like the idea, it's kinda relatable in away because when it comes to luck, i think of karma and we all know what karma is like :) I feel like this has quite a slow pace, not sure if thats how you planned it? I have nothing against slow pace but you descriptions though brilliant tend to turn into a ramble, sometimes less description is more, you know? other than that I thought this was very good and that names you chose for your characters were quite unusual as is the name of your story :) I like it!

The brain is wider than the sky.
— Emily Dickenson