z

Young Writers Society

After the Shadow Children Capter 1

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:32 am
BrooklynWriter says...

There once was a time of the Third Children. A time when the Government allowed adults to have only two children. This was of course, for fear of world hunger. There was, as in any society, rule breakers who had three or on very rare occasions even four. Those third children, who were not exactly a rarity but were kept hidden from a special police force called the Population Police, were called, the Shadow Children.
After years of secret plotting the Shadow Children set themselves free. The Government was reduced to making meager requests to the people. The Shadow Children lived their lives as normal people. Most lived their lives fully though some were killed by old agents.
Then finally to the Government’s great joy, all of the former Shadow Children had died. It was the beginning of a new generation. The Government brought themselves back into power. They tried to earn back the people’s trust with promises of immortality. Of course the people were not ignorant. The people waited until the time came for the Government to show them what they really wanted. Proof.
Luckily for the Government their scientists had concocted an antiserum that could withhold the Government’s promise. The Government mass produced the antiserum and distributed it to everyone. Along with the antiserum the people got a warning not to do anything with the antiserum until given further instruction.
Days passed and finally, everyone was told to turn on their televisions to channel 12 at 9:00 that same day. Of course everyone did what they were told. At exactly 9:00, as everyone was settling in to watch channel 12, the president began his nationwide broadcast.
“Do not be alarmed. I have some things I need to say. Number one: You may drink the antiserum now and you will be immortal. Number two: I am now your leader. And Number three: I have hired new Government Police. They will ensure that you follow my new rules.
“The rules are as follows: Now that you are immortal you are not aloud to reproduce. This will keep the human race from going hungry for sure. Also you are once again forbidden to consume junk food. And your final rule is that you are not under any circumstances aloud to leave the continent. Our bordering countries who share this continent are now also under my control. Punishment for violators are as follows: death or life in prison, depending on the judges rule.
“Now I shall discuss with you the antiserum. It is very complex and you should pay close attention. The antiserum keeps you from dying of natural causes such as sickness or death of old age. You can however be killed of course by gunshot or a more formal execution such as a beheading. Your aging process does not stop. You will continue to age until your 100th birthday. On midnight of that day you will return to the age you are now. This pattern continues forever, it is an eternal reoccurrence.
“Thank you all for your cooperation you may now return to your normal lives.”
The people at home were baffled. Hours later the Government Police showed up at everyone’s door demanding the kids and teenagers that lived there. Before dawn all children were pulled out onto the front lawns of every house on the continent. At exactly 6:00 A.M. gun smoke filled the air and blood stained the grass and leaked onto the pavement as every child on the continent was gunned down. Parents everywhere were in mourning over their lost souls. There wasn’t even one child on the continent.
Until 10 years later.
Last edited by BrooklynWriter on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:13 pm
ziggiefred says...

Hello there

I actually thought this was a first chapter, but now that I see it's part one...let's forget about it. Anyway, I liked this a lot. Although the whole story was crammed into one place just like the storytelling, I thought the plot showed a lot of potential. I only have one piece of advice; next time, try to develop your ideas a little bit more to improve the storytelling. You seemed to skip from one idea to another leaving me hanging on the first one. I did not feel satisfied about the shadow children escaping and being killed, it's like too short. This was like a synopsis instead of a story. But as I said before, the plot is great so good job on that one :)

Keep writing
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:48 am
CardDragon says...

This sounds familiar....Like it is what happened after that book series ended.
It sounds like an Apocalypse for that continent. Obviously I would suggest to you to make it a happy ending..
People can only take only so much sadness. Back to the Apocalypse suppose there was a series of bombings almost everyone would die.
People would get tired of living and kill themselves. Then eventually the government would disappear.
But if that's your happy ending i'd prefer you not to write it. People would be angry because they wasted their time reading the book. It would also help to make an actual chapter about the making of the serum. :D
These all are suggestions.
[color=#FF0000]I AM SICK PHANTOM![/color]

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:50 pm
BrooklynWriter says...

Actually It is chapter one but I just called it Part One.

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson