z

Young Writers Society

Snoink.net (critiques appreciated!)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:53 am
Snoink says...

Hi guys! This is going to be a website critique... I know, freaky, right?

This is the website in question:

http://snoink.net

It's a modded form of Wordpress that I tweaked a bit.

Anyway, the questions I am interested in are:

- How does it look in your browser?

- Is it easily navigable?

- Does the layout make sense?

- Does it need anything?

Any help would be lovely. :)

Also, I'm not an artist, so if you want to talk about colors and stuff, pretend that I am an absolute moron and dumb down your words, please! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:56 am
Meep(: says...

Snoink wrote:- How does it look in your browser?
It looks fine! One thing though, I need to scroll left and right because the page width is slightly big. Maybe it's because of my screen of something, but I don't know xD

Yup, I'm not IT-savvy and I get lost easily (regardless of whether it's on the streets or in a website :P), but this made sense to me :D

It's neat and tidy, which I like! As for making sense, I'm not really sure how to answer that xD

- Does it need anything?
This is just personal preference, but I find your website background plain, though you may prefer simplicity :)
I mean, you've drawn so many adorable cartoons, but the background of your website doesn't quite reflect that. If I didn't know you, my first impression would be: "This looks like one of those unexciting blogs..." (Though the heading/title of your website sort of dimishes that feeling :))
I would decorate the background with your miscellaneous artwork, completely random but completely awesome :D

Hope I helped! :D
~Meep(:
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 am
Snoink says...

You did help, very muchly! Thanks! I was afraid of the stretched page... I resized the layout, so hopefully it looks slightly better! Tell me if it still stretches.

I was thinking about putting a colorful comic header, kind of like this (but with some of my other doodles):

Would that give it some more personal flair?

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:09 am
Durriedog says...

First impression: Is it still loading?

It looks great but for some reason unfinished. Maybe some more colour?

Yes. Well done! You could add an Archive thing to the side if you wanted your blog posts to be more accessable, but I think the navigation bar is very clear and to-the-point.

Absolutely. Straight up and down, the blogs on the first page, a side bar with pretty butterflies.

- Does it need anything?

I think it needs colour, but other than that it's perfect.

Love Durrs
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:06 am
Snoink says...

Added a header! Tell me how it looks now. :)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:39 am
Rydia says...

Hey 'Rina, loving the header!

It looks good, very bloggish and the attention slides nicely down from the header to the latest comic and then to the text. There's nothing too heavy on the eyes. I did find myself staring at those butterflys a while though and wondering what's going on with the grey ones feeler. It seems to have an extra blob or something like somebody tied a bow to it. There's also a bit too much of a gap on the floor level between the apple core and the ear of corn. Maybe you could have the back end of a piggy there with its curly tail?

Yeah, it's pretty easy. Seems to be a standard scroll and click, good choice of formatting there. The only thing I'd say is that once you've clicked the comic section, some less tech savvy people might have trouble realising that to get back to the main page they just click the header. Maybe a quick sentence to that effect?

Simply put yes.

- Does it need anything?

Nothing other than the few small suggestions I made about the header.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:26 pm
Meep(: says...

That, my friend, is one awesome header.
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:39 pm
Calligraphy says...

I tried to get into the site, but gave up on my fifth try, it says that the server is too busy or some mumbo jumbo.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:45 pm
Lava says...

No weird stretching. It's crisp and clean. :) And it loads in normal time.

Yes. It's fairly easy enough to follow.

I was thinking it would be good of you also had 'Category' cloud/list. But that's entirely my opinion.
Otherwise, I like it.
Plus, I really like the little smiley face at the bottom left. Is that intentional?

- Does it need anything?

I am itching to comment on the header. It's *ka-ding * and fun, but I wish you could slightly clear up the title. I'm a little biased toward making it a bit more less handwriting-y.
The blue you used in the post above is better than the almost-cyan one you've used in the blog.
Thing is, I feel you could make your header more like your comic-y style. It's more catchy and I think it would look awesomer! And I guess, outlining the ground with a black line like in your comics will help.

Overall: I'm only nitpicky about the header. If you try out variants, put it up on YWS, and I'd be happy to review the,

Hope to've helped.
^^

EDIT _ I probably sound rambly. PM me if you need specifics.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:28 pm
Snoink says...

Kitty>> The gray butterfly is actually a moth, that's why he has fuzzy feelers. ^^ And yeah... it does look a bit bare!

Meep>> Thanks!

Calligraphy>> How rude of it! :o

Lava>> When you mean the comic-y style, are you talking about the way "Moth and Myth" is written in the comics? And yeah, my handwriting is a bit sucky, lol. I still don't like the blue either... I'll have to play around with it.

EDIT:

Changed the header! Does it look good/better?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:16 am
Snoink says...

Er... now I think that it looks like my website is puking with color. XD I updated the nav bars of the main site and the comic pages. So it kind of looks like like this now:

http://snoink.net/?webcomic_post=41-reading-rainbow

Is this too... much? XD

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:24 pm
Lava says...

Eek. I meant to comment as soon as I read this, but.. I forgot.
Anyway, yes the new header is cleaner and better. It's like controlled comic-y! Like fun and all that but not chaotic, y'know? The outlining had helped loads.

Also; by style, I meant the way you drew. Like Moth and Myth has the newer, better style than the older header. :)
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:14 am
Snoink says...

Eek, I love you! <3

I'm still not quite sure what you mean! I don't really think about styles or whatever, so I think it's all pretty chaotic!

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables