z

Young Writers Society

RMS Titanic (starts on 13th)

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:36 pm
Jetpack says...

At 02:20, on Monday 15th April, 1912, the Titanic finally slipped below the surface. She carried with her over 1500 men, women and children, and 700 survivors watched from the insufficient lifeboats as the unsinkable liner plummeted to the ocean floor.

This storybook is going to play out the five days of the Titanic's maiden voyage, from her launch at Southampton to her sinking, 480 miles southeast of Newfoundland, Canada, in the North Atlantic Ocean, after striking an iceberg. This will be an entirely fictional affair other than setting and events, and I will not allow anyone to play a real person who was aboard.

I want this to play in real time. We "set sail" on the 13th July, 2010, and we sink on the 18th July, assuming I get all six people. Each post should state the time and date, as it would have been, e.g. "02:20, 15th April 1912. The ship is gone" would be a post on the 18th July. No diary entries. If you're not around, register interest on this thread just in case we don't get all six people for the 13th.

Calendar
Spoiler! :
10th April 1912 = 13th July 2010
11th April 1912 = 14th July 2010
12th April 1912 = 15th July 2010
13th April 1912 = 16th July 2010
14th April 1912 = 17th July 2010
15th April 1912 = 18th July 2010

I am a self-professed obsessive and I own several Titanic books and a collapsible model, so I'll try to keep on top of the facts. I'll provide a log of events when we're ready to start, and I'm working on a list of all the rooms available to each class of passenger. If you're ever unsure, check out Encyclopedia Titanica. It is legendary.

Rules

1. All posts must be grammatically correct, and with proper punctuation, to the best of your knowledge. That includes profiles.
2. At least two paragraphs per post, and by paragraphs I mean at least three sentences. More if possible!
3. No sex scenes, godmodding, and only mild cussing. Keep it clean, people!
4. Please post regularly. That means once every day, when the time limit's so short, and that's a minimum, unfortunately.

5. Aim to be historically accurate in descriptions of settings and people, as well as dialogue. Slang exists, but you know, it's 1912.

6. No real age restrictions, but try to keep to about 16 and over.
7. Don't just repeat James Cameron's Titanic. Go watch the film again, instead.

Character List: I'm keeping the characters at six, including myself.

First Class: You're very rich, or you've married into a rich family. A vast workforce attends to your every whim. Some of you are American and returning home. Some of you have even brought your pets along.

1 male claimed by phantom of the potter
1 female claimed by Jetpack

Second Class: You've never experienced such luxury before. You could be emigrating, or just lucky enough to be boarding for the experience.

1 male claimed by Loller65
1 female claimed by untameabletiger

Third Class:: You make up the majority of the passengers. You're from all over Europe, though are predominantly Irish, and are on your way to start a new life in America. Many of you have never been to sea before and carry very little. It's cost you two months' wages to get here.

1 male claimed by austenite
1 female saved by Elinor Brynn

Character Profile Template
Spoiler! :
Name:
Class:
Why's s/he on board?
Character History:
Appearance: no pictures.
Personality:
Up for Love?

As I said, there will be a list up soon of the main rooms and possibly a bit more background for you. Most of it won't be necessary, but I just want to cover every eventuality. This could get complicated, but I feel like a challenge with storybooking. It's got a five day limit on it, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep going until then. You can register interest below, if you're not around, just in case we start late.

UPDATE: Profiles up today people! Room list will be up in a couple of hours.

- Jet.
Last edited by Jetpack on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:28 am, edited 7 times in total.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:55 pm
untameabletiger says...

second class female spot saved please.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:58 pm
Elinor says...

Third class female please! Will post profile a bit later.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:35 pm
Sins says...

Third class guy spot please? :)
Do we survive or die, or what? Just out of curiosity. I have another question actually... sorry for being a pain.

What if we can't post often enough for just five days? It would be kind of lame if this Storybook was only, like, four pages long. Especially if we want to make it a good one with a good plot. Does that make sense...? I don't really want to post a profile until I've got these things cleared up.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:51 pm
phantom of the potter says...

I'll take the first class guy spot.
"The grasshopper!... Mind the grasshopper!... A grasshopper not only turns, it hops!... It hops!... And it hops jolly high!" ~Erik, The Phantom of the Opera

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:54 pm
Loller65 says...

2nd class male spot plox?
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:58 am
untameabletiger says...

Name: Karidee
Class: second
Why's s/he on board?: She has been sent aboard by a rich family, She had done them a huge favor in the past, and they paid her back with the ticket.
Character History: karidee grew up with 2 sisters and 1 brother, her parents divorced when she was 10 because her mom found her husband cheating on her with her best friend. her dad secretly beats karidee every time he is alone with her.
Appearance: Long Blonde naturally curly hair, Golden eyes, very tall,slender but strong, heart shaped face,very elegant.
Personality: She doesn't talk much, but she isn't shy. She is very lovable, and caring. She is defensive, and doesn't give up very easily. Her fear of darkness and needles, is her major setback. She hates being alone, because she feels unprotected.
Up for Love? sure.(:

197 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:04 am
Jetpack says...

Skins wrote:Third class guy spot please? :)
Do we survive or die, or what? Just out of curiosity. I have another question actually... sorry for being a pain.

What if we can't post often enough for just five days? It would be kind of lame if this Storybook was only, like, four pages long. Especially if we want to make it a good one with a good plot. Does that make sense...? I don't really want to post a profile until I've got these things cleared up.

It's totally up to you whether you survive or die.

I'd like to try and keep it to five days, just because I hate the storybooks that drag and don't get going. There isn't much of a plot other than the stock events that happened on board, so we should be able to get it in. I'm not going for a plotline here; it's more an experiment to see whether it's possible to play out the events. I'm starting everyone off in the same situation (i.e. boarding), but not everyone has to meet each other. You might only meet two or three of the other characters before the ship sinks, and don't say you can't fall in love (*cough* JamesCameronDidIt *cough*). This is more about characterisation, emotion and relationships, and of course, the history.

I'll save you the spot anyways, Skins. :)
Last edited by Jetpack on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

197 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:58 am
Jetpack says...

I know it's a lot, but some of it is probably unnecessary. I'd love for you all to read everything; if you want, though, you can just read the parts I've bolded in the spoilers. Please read all of the rooms that are applicable to your character, and the timeline, for sure.

The Ship
Spoiler! :
Built in the design of her sister ship, the RMS Olympic, the Titanic could carry up to 3547 passengers and was the heaviest ship afloat at that time. It was also the most luxurious. If you were to line up 22 double decker buses end to end on the deck of the Titanic, they'd reach from the bow (front) to the stern (back). That's the scale we're talking about here.

The Titanic was on a contract with the British Royal Mail to carry large amounts of post across the Atlantic, as letters were the prominent form of communication at that time. She carried 20 lifeboats, knowing that it was not enough for her passengers should a collision arise. But what collision? The Titanic had a system of watertight bulkheads, meaning that the ship was divided into 16 compartments. The theory was that up to four bulkheads could be flooded and the ship would still float, but the problem was that water could seep over the top of these bulkheads and into the other compartments, thus defeating the point. This was exactly what happened, and the weight of the water in the hull actually caused the Titanic to rise so far up in the water that eventually, she was nearly vertical, and broke in two.

It was never said that she was "unsinkable". There was a very important "virtually" before that statement, but word got around and here we are today, remembering the unsinkable ship that sunk.

The Second and Third Class Rooms
Spoiler! :
I'm looking at the model, so bear with me.

Third Class Rooms

Third Class cabins for single women and families: They're right next to the huge propellers. It's noisy, and quite cramped. You have running water, but there's only two baths - for 700 of you, and they're right down the other end of the ship in the men's area. Still, you've probably never seen such luxury.

Third Class dormitory for men: You're in a large domitory near the bow, but still deep within the ship. The top four decks are reserved for first class use.

Third Class open decks: Located in the rear of the ship, in the midst of a strong wind and the smoke from the ship's funnels, this is nonetheless an escape from the stuffy conditions below.

Third Class general room: A relaxation spot for all the third class passengers.

Third Class smoking room: For men only, after a meal.

Third Class dining saloons: There are two, situated amidships on the middle deck. They're furnished with white enamel on the walls. The food's still good. Breakfast is oatmeal, porridge, fresh bread and butter or jacket potatoes, with tea or coffee. Dinner (i.e. lunch) is for (example) soup, fresh bread, sweetcorn and potatoes, with roast beef. Tea is, for example, cold meat and cheese, followed by supper with biscuits and more cheese. That's from the menu on the final day.

Second Class Rooms
They're mostly located midship and progress backwards to the stern, from what I can work out.

Second Class boat deck: Surprisingly roomy and airy due to the lack of lifeboats, and a good place to relax.

Second Class dining saloon: It's panelled in oak and provides a four course dinner followed by nuts, fruits and cheese, and coffee. There's crimson leather as well, if you can imagine that.

Second Class cabins: They're located in the lower decks, but sleep two to four passengers in bunks and have mahogany furniture. A Second Class passenger would be rightly impressed. There are also single staterooms for single women.

Second Class smoking room: Also only for men, this is in a French design and the furniture is in oak, with a special green covering.

Second Class sycamore panelled library: Yes, really.

First Class Rooms
Spoiler! :
Unfortunately, and I'm not kidding, there are literally tons. They're in the upper decks and mostly at the centre of the ship.

First Class Grand Staircase: This is one of the aesthetic triumphs of the day, with swirling wrought iron patterns of flowers and foliage. It leads to the first class dining saloon; the rich travel down here in all their finery each night

First Class Lifts or Elevators: Don't want to use the staircase? It's okay.

First Class Dining Saloon: Designed to be English, this seats over 550 people and has little bays to allow privacy for small parties. There's an a la carte menu with a buffet, a grill and a cheese course.

First Class Turkish Baths: They really do have everything. There are hot, temperate and cool rooms, and a mssage couch, and a plunge pool to cool off in afterwards.

First Class Squash Racquet Court: Yep.

First Class Swimming Bath: For a morning dip, according to White Star.

First Class Gymnasium: Located off the starboard side of the ship (right), this is fully equipped with rowing and cycling machines, weights and other equipment for keeping fit.

First Class Private Cabins: The absolute lap of luxury, at a cost of £870 in 1912. The occupants had access to a sitting room, two bedrooms, two dressing rooms, and a private bathroom, as well as a private deck. I think that's just for the richest of the rich. The other cabins won't have been far off, though.

First Class Enclosed Promenades: There's one on the top deck, for some fresh air, in the middle of the ship.

Spoiler! :
As you can probably tell, class division was pretty much set in stone at this time. Most people were quite religious and there was a Roman Catholic priest on board, who heard prayers at the end and went down with the ship. You may create a fictional version of his character, if you'd like. In fact, there were a few who felt that the ship itself was "flying in the face of God" by calling itself unsinkable.

It was a revolutionary time for classical music, so tastes would vary. In those days there was a lot of overlap between popular and classical and singers such as Nellie Melba and Peter Dawson prided themselves on versatility when performing. Many people had pianos in their home and were musically educated.

Gilbert and Sullivan were immensely popular. Films were just getting off the ground, but the stage was still considered more upmarket, as such. That should do it for any cultural discussion.

Timeline
Spoiler! :
April 10th, 1912
09:30 -11:30: Passengers begin to board at Southampton.
Noon: The Titanic sets sail, narrowly avoiding a collision with the New York, a much smaller boat.
18:30: The ship reaches Cherbourg in France and picks up some more passengers.

April 11th, 1912
11:30: Titanic arrives at Queenstown, Ireland, the traditional departure point for the emigrating Irish. She picks up a few more passengers.

April 12th, 1912/April 13th, 1912
Completely up to you.

April 14th, 1912
Throughout the day several ice warning are received. They are ignored and Bruce Ismay, chairman of White Star, encourages the captain to steam through dangerous waters. Nobody realises just how dangerous yet.

As for the sinking itself, I'll post that on the 17th. I'm planning on introducing each day with a little bit of description to get people going. As you can see, the 12th and the 13th were business as usual, so that's when you can basically just do as you like - within reason. xD

Phew. My profile will be up when I get around to it, but I'd like all profiles up by the end of today in your respective time zones. I'll start it up tomorrow morning, and I'm just about to create a DT for any more questions, the link to which will be here in just a moment.

EDIT: Discussion.

31 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:26 pm
austenite says...

You wouldn't happen to have room for a stowaway on board, would you?? I love (and am obsessed like you) anything to do with the Titanic, and would love to take part but all the spots are taken!
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

197 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:40 pm
Jetpack says...

austenite wrote:You wouldn't happen to have room for a stowaway on board, would you?? I love (and am obsessed like you) anything to do with the Titanic, and would love to take part but all the spots are taken!

Well, there are two possibilities.

1. Skins may/may not join so you could end up with that place.
2. You can be a crew member, as I was thinking of putting in one spot for them anyway, and decided against it. It's up to you where you go, but it's probably easier if you're serving first class, because then at least you're around a lot, as there were a lot of duties. There's a little more pressure on you (if you end up doing this) to be involved, though.

So, we'll wait on Skins to come back, I guess. :)

197 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:24 pm
Jetpack says...

Name: Jessie Hartland
Class: First

Why's she on board? She's the bride of the previously divorced, successful businessman George Hartland, who's travelling to New York to finalise an investment. Jessie is the daughter of a White Star Line executive and her husband has used this influence to buy tickets at short notice.

Character History: Jessie comes from a family whose wealth was originally accumulated through seafaring, and though her father's an honourable man, there's a history of piracy in her ancestry. Her wedding was only a few weeks ago, and she barely knows her husband; he is over ten years her senior and primarily married Jessie for her father's good connections. George courted her and chased her, to the delight of her parents, but Jessie herself still insists on calling him Mr Hartland. It's a token of her indifference towards him.

Appearance: Jessie dresses to kill. For a married woman, it's verging on inappropriate, but her husband will forgive her anything as long as she comes when he calls to smile in front of the gentry. She has quite a michievous smile, and her contemporaries don't approve. She's taken to wearing a lot of white face powder recently, which is all the more startling against her dark eyes and walnut brown curls.

Personality: Jessie is wild and aloof, dreaming bigger and better than the restrictions of married life. However, she's also fickle and even cold at times, though she can blame her upbringing, indulged as the only daughter for her selfishness. She's superficially kind and very well-educated, but as naïve as a toddler in her views, though she's curious to find out how the lower classes live. In her defence, she's aware of all her flaws; in fact, she revels in them.

Up for Love? An affair? Of course. She's looking for one.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:39 pm
Sins says...

Okay. Taking into consideration austenite's situation, I'm not going to join this. Austenite seems a lot more eager than myself to do it, so I'll let her take my place. Sorry for any inconvenience I caused... :wink:
If you ever want me to join a SB of yours, or anything, just let me know.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

197 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:52 pm
Jetpack says...

Absolutely no problem, Skins. Thanks for the interest. :)

31 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:47 pm
View Likes
austenite says...

Skins wrote:Okay. Taking into consideration austenite's situation, I'm not going to join this. Austenite seems a lot more eager than myself to do it, so I'll let her take my place. Sorry for any inconvenience I caused... :wink:
If you ever want me to join a SB of yours, or anything, just let me know.

Thanks Skins, that's very awesome of you. Sorry if I've caused any inconvenience at all!!
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
— Alvin Toffler