z

Young Writers Society

Rock Band

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:59 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Shilo

I shook hands with a woman in all black, wearing a headset- the concert coordinator. "Right this way, guys, you can hang out here, practice and stuff. We'll call you up for wardrobe and hair and makeup," she said, showing us through a door. The room inside was cream colored, and had our instruments set up and a food table. Sam grabbed a muffin and flopped on the couch, guitar on his lap.

"Lazy pig," I said, and grabbed a chocolate chip one for myself. I started going through the music for each song on the setlist, muffin firmly between my mouth. Corey closed his eyes and started moving his drumsticks through the air like he would on stage. Ever was concentrating on her bass, and I sang under my breath.

Well, we were, until Ever drank a Monster. You can guess what happened after that.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

Reviews: 1
Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:16 am
Fox says...

Sam

Ever had just chugged down an entire monster in like 2 minutes! She was literally shaking. It was crazy. I hoped she would be okay when we went on stage. If she wasn't, I really hoped no one would notice.

After eating my muffin, I started going through the music. I strummed a few of the songs, but didn't want to annoy everyone else.

Shilo and Ever came back from makeup and hair. They both looked amazing, but I wasn't going to get into any relationships. Especially between the band. Things would get awkward for all of us.

It was time for the guys to do hair and makeup. I didn't understand why we had to do all that stuff, but we did. After that it was time for wardrobe. I didn't care what they made me wear, as long as it looked cool, and I got to keep my jacket. This is what I ended up wearing:

Spoiler! :
But it'll be un-zipped of course
Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :

After everyone was dressed, we were all ready to go.

((I love details! :D ))
I am a fox, sly and quick.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

57 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:48 am

Shilo

Sam was whining like a dog with the door shut. He wanted to go on badly, and Corey was ready to kick down the door. I laughed.

"Alright, c'mon! We'll sound check." I told them.

I felt awesome; a zap of Monster, a pair of pale grey skinnies, and a bright purple t-shirt did that to a person. Corey had been swiftly changed into red skinnies and a black tee, Ever a pair of orange ones and a yellow tee. I grabbed my guitar and headed up to stage. We went through a few songs before being called offstage so our opening bands could practice. We were crushed.

We were playing a game meant to hype us up before the show (the first opening band was playing their first song) when Corey made our next video.

"Corey here, right before our first concert!"

"I'm Sam,"

"I'm Ever,"

"And I'm Shilo!"

We went through a conversation and a few explanations before bidding farewell, and a request to "stay young".

Corey exhaled. "Guys, it's showtime. Group hug." We did as requested. A chill ran through my spine when my hand brushed Corey's neck, but I waved it away.

And we headed onstage.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:28 am
Mizzle says...

Corey Flint:

I grinned mischievously and ran onstage, Shilo, Sam, and Ever following behind me. I had my drumsticks in my hands, and I banged the drums a couple of times to get the crowd to quiet down. Sam strung out a few notes on his guitar, and Ever just strummed the bass ever so lightly until the whole crowd--God, there was a whole lot of people--looked up at the stage.
Shilo giggled, looking back at the band from where she stood centerstage with a black microphone coated with stars.
"Helloooooo, Chicago!" She shouted.
I got situated behind the drums, feeling completely at home. My dark-washed denim jeans were ripped at the knees, and a chain looped through the belt. My shirt was a see-through sort of white, and on top of that was a shiny, black leather jacket. I wore a pair of red converse.
I was ready.
We were ready.
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

57 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:03 am

Shilo

I beamed out at the crowd. I stomped my foot three times until it was pounding to the beat of Corey's drums. I began to sing the lyrics to Whabam, a song Corey had written while hyper. I had fun while doing it, too; ran up and down the stage, jumped up and down, kicked my legs up. As Ever made the last note fade out, I started talking.

"So, hey!" I was met with roaring applause. I laughed. "So guys, are y'all excited?" More cheers. "Great! 'Cause we're playing it up!" Louder cheers- I had announced our next song. Sam led us into Up, and I added in the next part. Ever added a thrumming base, Corey a wild backdrop. I started singing. This wasn't my favorite song, but I knew it well. We were three songs in, preparing for our first ballad, when I started to worry.

Because next was Helpless.

A song Corey had written for Zoe.

Oh. My. GOD.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:20 am
Chupatoasta says...

Ever~

Ever closed her eyes, quickly going through the music line-up in her head.

Crap.

Next was Helpless.

Ever glanced over at Shilo, who looked back, a distressed look on her face. Corey obviously realized it too, because he was still as a statue, eyes down cast. Sam suddenly slammed his hand across his guitar, drawing attention. "Okay dudes and dudettes, this next song is called Helpless!" He yelled into his mike, playing a few chords. Ever quickly joined it, a quite drumming coming from Corey.

Dang.

Well, we wasn't going to ruin this for the whole band. Shilo began to sing and, still playing the bass, Ever danced her way back to Corey, glowering playfully at him, her eyes pleading.

"C'mon Cor, for Shi." She mouthed, winking at him with a small grin.
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

367 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:30 am
Mizzle says...

Corey Flint:

Helpless was how he felt. It was also the next song. And it was about Zoe.
He struggled to stay composed, not wanting to ruin it for the band. He didn't even want them to know he still wasn't fully over Zoe, yet, either.
Ever danced back towards where I was at, strumming on her bass.
"C'mon Cor, for Shi." She mouthed, winking at me.
I sighed deeply, and put a smile on my face. Ever smiled happily and went back to her position downstage.
Closing my eyes tightly, I began drumming with full-speed enthusiasm. The crowd noticed the change and cheered, and Shi looked back at me thankfully, and surprised. Sam winked at me.
I grinned back and started tossing the drumsticks in the air when I had time, winning me a few "woot woot's" from the crowd. I barely listened to the words of the song, but I knew Shi was nailing it. I just didn't want to hear the words.
This was for Shi.
I finished the song with a quiet drum solo joined with Sam's guitar. We rocked the ending of the song, and the crowd went wild, jumping crazily.
Maybe I could be an actor, I mused. They obviously were believing my I'm-so-over-Zoe act.
✯ ✯ ✯

57 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Shilo

I glanced back at a beaming Corey.

I didn't believe a second of it.

I never liked Helpless much anyway.

As I started to play one repetitive note and tapped my heel, I announced, "Alright guys, this is Unstoppable!"

A bigger applause than I'd ever heard shook the speakers. I grinned. Unstoppable was a feisty, happy song that started with Sam playing a solo, Ever joining him, and Corey pounding out a base, and me singing a sharp, "Hey!" The song was one of my all-time favorites, and I knew every note, how long to hold it, and how I had to regulate my breath to do so. We hit intermission on a good note. Next was "band's choice".

"We do Corey's song, I say," Sam insisted.

"We shouldn't. It's brand new-"

"Exactly!"

"And it's his song."

Ever piped up, "We could do Angels,"

We all paused. She had a valid point. Angels was a dark, intense song meant to be on our second album.

"Cor! You cool with that?" I called. He nodded eagerly, drank down a Monster (we all mimicked that step), and stepped behind his drums. We all took our spots and got ready again. When the screaming fans piled in, Ever began her bass part, sending shivers down everyone's spines. Sam played an eerie riff, and Corey lightly tapped out a complex beat. I sang the lyrics softly at first, as it was meant to be sung, and then louder. When it reached the chorus, it was more angry than eerie.

We ended the song to very loud cheers, much to our delight.

I beamed. Next was Can You See, a song we had written together, about each other, using she's and he's, and not names.

If hearing how much we cared about him didn't cheer Corey up, I don't know what will.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:35 pm
Fox says...

Sam

I felt so...free on stage. It was amazing! The crown cheering, the instruments pounding. It all just felt wonderful...until 'Hopeless' came on.

We were all quiet on stage, and the audience was beginning to get restless. I knew I had to do something, so I just introduced the song. It was really awkward while we played, but finally it was over.

After that we played 'Angels'. That was my favorite song, so I was glad Ever suggested it. Then we played 'Can You See,' a song we all wrote about each other. I looked back at Corey, and I could tell he was beginning to cheer up when we started the song. He only cheered up more during the song, and by the time it ended, we were all really happy. We were also a little disappointed. The concert was over now.

"Thank you Chicago!" Shilo said into the mike. The audience cheered, and I couldn't help but to cheer too. Our first concert was over, but we were going to remember it forever.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

57 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:51 pm
View Likes

Shilo

I sighed and laid down on the couch, perfectly content. I had a band who loved me, a successful career working for me, a second album in the works...

.... and a hyper Ever dragging me to the fridge. Literally. I was still on the ground, Ever gripping my arm and pulling me to the kitchen. She opened my mouth and poured in some Monster. When I was about to choke on the stuff, she giggled and threw the can in the sink. It was my turn to drag her, yelling, "COREY! You, me, Guitar Hero, NOW!"

Corey, looking a little frightened (but happier than yesterday, thank god) stammered, "Uh-er-okay?" and grabbed a controller-guitar thing. I still haven't named them yet. I grabbed the other and the battle commenced, while Ever jumped up and down beside Sam until he caved and started playing Scrabble with her. Bad idea; when Ever is hyper, she creates words. Words that are actually within the rules and that fetch high scores.

I smirked at Sam (gaining me an eye roll) and munched on a Hershey bar as we reached a break. I had loved the concert. I had no idea why I said Chicago, as we were in New York, but still. Tomorrow we had another one here, and the day after that, meaning we still had two days left in NYC. I was psyched, and couldn't wait for tomorrow, while still clinging to today, even though it technically was tomorrow, being 1: 30 AM and all.

Oh well. Technicalities weren't really my thing.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:43 pm
Fox says...

Sam

"No it isn't!" I argued. Ever and I were fighting about a word that she had put.

"It is too a real word!" she said. I sighed.

"Fine, whatever. If you really want it to be, then it is."

"YAY!"

After Shilo and Corey were done battling, Shilo won of course, we talked for a while.

"Maybe we shouldn't do Hopeless." I said. "I mean, it's really awkward."

"Well then, we're going to need a song to fill in for it." Shilo said. "Any ideas?" We all exchanged looks.

"How about Forever?" I asked. Everyone nodded.

"Sure, I guess that's good." Corey said with a smile. I guess he was just glad that we weren't doing Hopeless anymore. I could tell Shilo was too.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

57 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Shilo

I raised an eyebrow. "Is it good?"

"I think,"

"Is it learnable?"

"Well, yeah, but-"

"Then we're playing it. Hand it over." I told Sam, extending my hand. He reluctantly gave me his notebook. I flipped through the pages until I reached the song.

I scanned over the lyrics, notes and keys, and announced, "We're playing this. Sam, no argument. Learn it, and learn it quick. We got two shows tomorrow." After seeing Sam's panicked expression, I added, "And Sam? Great song."

He smiled. The song was called Survive, and it was about making it through the lives we led. Thankfully, he didn't know the half of what Ever's life had been, so her secrets were safe. It was upbeat and feisty, with a fun riff and a seriously sick beat. He and Cor would have to start working together. I called up Antony, and after a gloriously short conversation, scribbled out "Helpless" and wrote "Survive" above it. I smiled. That meant there was officially no songs about that.... witch Zoe in our setlist.

Take that, friend stealing two face.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:22 am
Chupatoasta says...

Ever~

Ever gazed over the paper, her heart wrenching. It had the basics about everyone, the obvious things like Shilo's dad, and all of them growing up and going through high school together. The guys still knew nothing about Ever's past, and she prayed they'd never find out. She sighed and grabbed her journal, walking back to her bunk and shutting the curtain after telling everyone she was going to sleep. She'd refused to call it a diary, even if it did have a lock. It was one she and Shilo shared, each wearing the key to it around their neck. She brought the journal to her necklace, unlocking it. Her Monster was wearing off and she was relaxing. It was probably the best time to write.

Dear Shilo,

Isn't it funny? In two weeks, we would have had started writing this journal to one another for four years. Our dreams are coming true. Who woulda thunk it! -enter goofy, Ever-like laugh here- Anyway, it's all thanks to you, my best friend that I'm here at this moment in time. Without you, my life would have ended at barely fifteen.

Ever wrote a couple memories of their high school career, and how Ever felt when she thought of the things her step-dad used to do to her.

Anyway Shi, you're honestly my bestfriend, and I don't know what I'd do without you. I love you sister! (:

With love,
Ever-Gracee(:

P.S. I think I know someone else who may love you *wink wink nudge nudge*

The bus lurched to a stop right before Ever closed the journal to lock it, the book flying from her hands.

"Ev, wake up! We're gonna stay at a hotel with the other band we're touring with!" Sam yelled back, Ever standing to her feet groggily. Oh, didn't she look lovely. Her hair was dissheveled, and she had on a pair of basketball shorts with a tight neon purple tank top that read, "Talk nerdy to me" with a large smiley face with glasses below it.

Ever sighed and followed the band out, each of them looking just as ready for bed as Ever was. Corey was even in his boxers! Right outside the hotel, a huge one dubbed The Ramada, were three guys, who had looked like they'd just come from a party, but not one of them really stunk of alcohol. All four had some pretty rad sex hair going on though. Ever snickered at the thought, Shilo catching on and laughing with her. There were four guys, all looking at Ever and the others with a mixed reaction.

Standing before the other band, all was silent. Ever, being the oh-so-outgoing person she was, decided to speak first, looking up at the tall guy in the group.

"Hi, we're The Youth! And I'm Ever, the bassist and backing vocals, occasionally," she shot him a brilliant smile, and it was as if a wall was lifted from between them all and the greetings began to flow.

Spoiler! :
With Love

~Andrew Reynolds - lead singer and guitar
~Cody Greene - lead guitar/backing vocals
~Tatum Mitchum - bassist/backing vocals
~Logan Hunters - drummer
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

57 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:51 am

Shilo

I fought the urge to roll on the ground laughing as Ev turned up the charm. Fighting back a snicker, I said, "Shilo. Lead vocals, guitar if I'm lucky." Ever poked my ribcage, and we exploded with laughter again. I finally sat bolt straight, took a slight breath and apologized.

Ever didn't.

Sam rolled his eyes and hauled our bags over with Corey. I stuck my tongue out and led our group into the hotel. I felt awkward, in purple sleep pants and an ultra baggy black tee, but I shoved my embarrassment away. I collected the key from the lady at the front and trudged up the ramp to the elevator.

Ever, her excited Monster induced power surge back for the moment, cried, "To the elevator!" in a thick British accent and charged the metal box. I groaned and followed her. When we reached the room... well, it's a nice hotel, let''s say that.

Me and Ever both lunged for the fluffy queen size bed by the window, and ended up landing at the same time. We rock paper scissored for it, and as we both played scissors, we simultaneously said, "Share it." Ever handed me our journal. I bit back a squeal and slipped it under my pillow, hauling my bag down from the stack of luggage.

"Here, let me help you with that," one of the guys from the other band said.

Blushing profusely, I answered, "Got it, thanks," and carried it over my shoulder to the floor by the bed.

The boys were already wrestling over which one would get the couch. I marched over, pulled them apart, and roared,
"ALL BOYS TO THE ADJOINING SUITE, NOW!" As requested, all males in the room grabbed their bags and hurried to the next room. I heard them claiming each bed, and Sam's groan as he got stuck with the couch.

I flopped back on our bed and flicked on the TV. Ever was fast asleep already, so I decided to write.

Evs-

Ha! I know, weird! I can't believe that we're still here, and we made it big! *insert very Shilo-esque squee here* Aaaaand, I'm not the only one who's heroic. Who's the one who immediately snuck me some ice cream the second she heard my dad left? Oh. That's right. YOU, silly billy! And WHO thought of the journal idea? And who created the Shilo and Ever code?

Mm hm. YOU.

I wrote a few more examples, and a few fond memories we had together, after both our dads were long gone, sleeping over at one or the other's house.

Just goes to show that you're the bestest best friend EVAH. In the history of EVAH. I mean it, Evs.

Much love,
Shi

P.S. WUUUTTT???? *thinks* If you're talking about Corey, I will take away all the Monster you could ever access. I swear.

I chuckled and slipped the journal under Ever's pillow. I heard the guys sleeping in the other room; Corey had a very distinct, steady, calming breathing pattern.

Wait. Calming? I'm going insane.

Anyway, I turned off the TV and the lamp and plugged in my iPod, putting it on the nighttime playlist me and Ever had created together.

I don't know what I would do without that girl.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

367 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:12 am
Mizzle says...

Corey Flint:

The guys from the other band were cool. After we knew Shi and Ev had fallen asleep, all of us sat bolt upright and ran to the fridge, grabbing two packs of monster. I chugged half a can down then stopped. I'd thrown some sweatpants over my boxers, but my six-pack still showed.
I paused and turned to the guys from the other band. "Hey. I'm Corey, by the way; I write most of the songs and play the drums, but I sing, too."
"Don't you just do it all?" One of the guys joked.
"Nah. Shi always beats me in Guitar Hero," I grinned, and Sam shook his head.
"Anyone can beat you in Guitar Hero," Sam said with a sigh, plopping down on the couch with a monster.
"It's true," I said, laughing.
And then I crashed, falling into a dream as I slept.
Shi.
✯ ✯ ✯

I *do* like flipping tables.
— Faye Whitaker, Questionable Content