Young Writers Society

The Masquerade

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:04 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"You remembered my voice. That's how I recognize you. I just can't remember your name for the life of me," he said. "Though your face behind the mask, I do."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:07 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

"Kratzer," he says. "Or Silberfuchs, or Silver Fox, I'll respond to any of those."

"Or Mr. Fox," Viper pipes in with a snicker.

"Ja, if you want a broken nose," he replies, giving her a pointed look.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He had been starting to get his suspicions from the sound of the man's voice, but his face immediately lit up when Kratzer said who he was - no wonder his voice had sounded so familiar. It had been a handful of months for him since that strange incident in the cave, and he had made sure to memorize everything that happened so he wouldn't forget it all if he somehow managed to meet anyone there again.

"I can't believe you're here too, Kratzer!" Maahes exclaimed, then immediately covered his mouth when he realized how loud his voice was. He sheepishly lowered the hand a moment later. "Sorry. I'm just excited. Getting to see James again was surprising, but I'm even more surprised to see you here. I'm, uh, Maahes, by the way. In case you were getting confused."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:18 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

James let out a small sigh. "Aaaaaand so much for using fake names," James muttered under his breath. He looked over to Kratzer.

"James would be me. Since the cat's out of the bag just... call me that," he said in resignation, with a dismissive wave of his hand.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:03 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

"Okay!" Taber said. "I'll go find him!"

Eremia reached out to pull him back, but he'd already vanished into the crowd. Even if he hadn't just eaten a bunch of sugar (a rare occasion, fortunately), he was fast. Waving (she hoped she didn't look sheepish) at Vala and Aaron, Eremia turned and followed Taber.
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:28 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

He dips his head. "Ja, of course. Pleasure to see you both again. They were back in the same cave we were," he explains to Viper. "But you showed up after they disappeared someplace."

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:24 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Maahes gave a small, sheepish smile when he realized what he had accidentally done. "I'm sorry," he apologized. "I didn't even think of that."

He turned to Kratzer. "We met another time too, remember? It was when I was younger. Really younger. We ended up in that strange rift in reality."

xXx

Vala quickly followed Eremia and Taber. Aaron, on the other hand, lingered for a bit before he went to join them. This entire situation was making him deeply uncomfortable, especially when Vala had made it clear that she knew he wasn't using his real name. To make matters worse, he was stranded in a place lacking any familiar faces. If he had just one friend here with him, he could actually handle the situation.
mage

queer and here.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:24 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Boris Dietrich

Spoiler! :
If you wanna read his full profile, here it is. Character Profiles

If you can't be assed to, he's a complete disaster from the alternate 18th century who has mastered the art of acting like a not only functional but distinguished human being. He put all his stats in Charisma and Stabbing and had only like one and a half points left for the Conscience Meter so it's erratic as all hell and bugs out a lot.

Damn. I had just begun to make some real progress on a lead, after being mysteriously missing for an entire week, with no memory of what had occurred during that space of time, and now I had gone astray yet again. I think I was having dreams of some shining city above the water, but I paid them no heed, for I was no stranger to strange dreams.

After all, here was I now, dreaming of a masquerade.

I did not recall drinking at all after my return. I did not recall having consumed any prisoner's honey. But I supposed that if I had become intoxicated enough to dream up a party that was this astonishingly lucid, and in such lavish detail, it was possible that I could have forgotten the ill-advised acts of consumption that sent me here.

In any case, I was at a spectacular ball, dressed to the nines, and surrounded by interesting characters. I saw no reason not to enjoy myself while I was here.
There would be time enough to chastise myself for being unproductive later.

I was briefly distracted between dances by a snoring under the table. I saw somebody lift the tablecloth to reveal a young boy in a pink gown and a sleep mask, miraculously sleeping heavily through the music, who seemed startlingly familiar in a way I could not place.

I shrugged it off, and joined another dance.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

117 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:27 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

His eyes widened. "Verdammt, Aen?" he shook his head. "Gott, junge, you've gotten a bit bigger, ja?"

he/him/his

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:34 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He grinned. "It's been a long time for me since our first meeting. I'd say around twenty thousand years, give or take?"
mage

queer and here.

117 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:03 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

He blinked. "That's a helluva difference in the flow of time, it's only been maybe four years for me."

he/him/his

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:44 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"That sounds about more my pace as well. Maahes's time seems to move...faster. Relatively."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:45 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

As the group wandered through the crowd, "Aaron" continued to linger behind them. He wasn't here to watch them get reunited. He needed to find a way out of here, and fast. He was only going to get that done if he did some investigating of his own.

He broke out from the three and slipped into the crowd. As he wandered through the group of people, he bumped into a man that had been near one of the tables earlier - his stupid hat made him memorable.

"Sorry," he said, not really all that sorry but wanting to avoid conflict when he could be finding out how he had been brought here.
mage

queer and here.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:26 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

''No problem, my good fellow.'' I told him genially.

The young man in the horned mask seemed uncomfortable, by the way he shrank back from the crowd, and his eyes would dart around the room.

''Is this the first time you've been to a ball of this size?'' I asked him casually. ''Don't worry about it. There's little to it, only confidence and bluff.''
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:25 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"You've got me," he said. "I haven't been to a ball of this size before."

He hadn't even been to a dance before, much less a masquerade, but that was something he wasn't going to share with a complete stranger. He did have to admit that the words given were a good piece of advice - acting confident and bluffing his way through things had gotten him far before this point.

"You seem like you have, though," he continued, keeping his voice warm and pleasant. Whoever this man was, he seemed to be enjoying himself. That had to mean he knew what was going on, right? All that he had to do was keep him talking if he wanted to get some answers. "Well, this is certainly the best ball I've ever been too. It's a shame I don't know who the hosts are."
mage

queer and here.

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye