z

Young Writers Society

His Dark Materials

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:03 pm
~Volant~ says...

(I'm still working on book one...should I even post? Or am I close enough?)
Where are we going?

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:30 pm
Layleun says...

((Still need to finish book three but I'll get this storybook goin'))

Lupe stood on one of the several rooftops of Jordan College. Beside her stood her daemon, Remis. Lupe lay back and watched the sun set, her hand absently running itself over Remis's fur. The gray bobcat purred cordially as he too gazed past the trees that blocked the horizon line.

Lupe sighed, eyes half closed as she relaxed all of her muscles. She had been working hard today, helping with odd jobs the servants needed to do. Washing dishes, cleaning out drains, moving bags of flour, and all with the help of the small kitchen boy, Sam.

Remis stopped purring suddenly. He pricked his ear, listening. Lupe stood up abruptly, scanning the grounds. Remis shifted to a sparrow and cocked his head from side to side.

"You hear that?" her chirped in her ear.

A faint clanging of pans could be heard along with yells.

"Yeah. Let's go check it out."

((Open for someone to come in))

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:27 am
Cariad says...

Is it too late for me to join?
The best mathematical equation
I have ever seen:
1 cross + 3 nails = 4 given.

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:39 am
Lethero says...

You can join
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:54 am
Cariad says...

Awesome. lol, I'll just go with the flow for awhile.

Name:Atran
Dæmon: Akira, Horse, Female
Description: Tall, well-built with blonde hair and gray eyes. His only weapon is his sword, the Sword of Truth, strapped across his back.
Bio: Coming from a world called the midlands, a magic accident misplaced him into a parrallel world. Honest, caring, willing to do anything for the ones he loves.
The best mathematical equation
I have ever seen:
1 cross + 3 nails = 4 given.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:38 am
Aet Lindling says...

(It isn't Midsummer's Day yet, he's just sitting there. :P)

Will sat on the park bench with a bite of what used to be a whole ham and cheese sandwich and a bottle of water. It was noon, and the sun shone down, filtered by the clouds across the sky. He swallowed the morsel of the sandwich, grabbed his bottle of water, and stood up. Realizing he should have been home earlier, he started running home.

Will was almost halfway there, in a street lined with gray buildings, when something caught his eye in an alley. Suddenly, a small rock appeared at the end of the alley, and the graffiti that had lined the wall was gone in a patch, suddenly cut off. With a small dread in his stomach, starting to recognize what he was seeing, he walked cautiously up to the area. As he moved around, the patch of difference shifted, graffiti appearing and disappearing, and the rock suddenly vanishing. Will changed his angle, the rock appeared again, and he walked towards the rock and grabbed it. He went to the side of the alley, dropping the rock, and eased around the patch of difference, then ran out of the alley, halting in shock when he exited. He was in an entirely different world.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:14 pm
Charlie II says...

*Placeholder for character*

I will draw up a profile right now :)

Charlie
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

166 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:22 pm
Charlie II says...

Character

Name: Markus Wrent
Present Location: Jordan College

Appearance: Brown haired, brown eyed and lanky but not physically strong. His size helps him to cope with the high shelves in the Jordan College Library where he works. He is athletic, with an endurance type of fitness. He often goes jogging around the college and sometimes outside of it.

Personality: Modest, softly spoken, responsible but spontaneous when needed. He is very intelligent and, unusually, works well with other people. He often seems wary of strangers, but this is because he takes time to understand people before he judges them.

History: His Dæmon’s form settled only a week ago. He was always fascinated by his Dæmon’s ability to change shape and, now she has chosen her form he, misses it. He would never admit this to her though. His love of books and knowledge lead him to his current job where he has worked for a number of years. The library staff all know him well, but his reputation as a bit of a loner has distanced him from them. He has even read a few of the Alethiometer books in Bodley’s library before he was caught. He has never tried to learn more of it’s secrets since.

Dæmon

Name: Aleone
Form: Hare
Defined: Yes

Personality: Quick witted, careful and respectful. She is Mark’s greatest, and most dependable, friend. They work extremely well together, almost as if they share thoughts, and she is often the one who helps him to make friends.

Profile posted! Ash, please check over this and see if it's ok. I've recently been re-reading the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy, so if anyone wants to chat about anything and I'm in the chat room, feel free to quiz me :).

Charlie
-- Woody Allen

166 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:58 am
Charlie II says...

Markus

"He went in!"

"Sure?"

"Definitely. He's going up to her room now!"

Mark looked at his Dæmon in disbelief. Few people visited Lyra anymore, especially when she was studying the Alethiometer books. Too many people interrupted her when she studied at St Sophia's school, and so by Dame Hannah's consent she had returned to Jordan.

"Who was he?" Mark asked Aleone, but she hopped excitedly on the windowsill without replying.

Markus finished shelving the last few books in his pile and straightened up, cracking his knuckles. Aleone leapt from the window into his arms and nestled by his neck, sitting in the crook of his arm.

"We should go and find out," she said and wriggled from side to side.

"I dunno," he whispered back, wary of the other librarians that moved like wraiths through the shelves. It would not have been the first time he was disciplined for not concentrating on the job at hand. The scholars were awful when their books were not shelved instantly.

"Look, we've got the volumes on particles that she was asking for last time we visited. How about we deliver them now and see what this man's up to? You don't want Lyra to be disturbed do you?"

As soon as Aleone had muttered the last question, Markus had decided. He walked towards the library's huge oak doors, collecting the two volumes for Lyra on the way. Although the books were large and awkward, they were surprisingly light. Markus half-jogged down the corridor as soon as he was out of earshot of the other librarians. Aleone had left his arms and scampered a few yards ahead of him, checking the side corridors one-by-one with her wide hare's eyes.

"People," she said as they approached a corner. Markus ducked into an indentation in the wall that was partially covered by a tapestry. His legs stuck out at the bottom, but his torso was hidden from sight. After a moment, Aleone joined him.

"It's the Master and Dame Hannah!"

Now that was interesting. Markus frowned and motioned for Aleone to listen carefully. Her hearing was far better than his, but he strained to hear the conversation as best he could.

"Honestly. I'd disgusted that Porter let him in without our permission--"

"--and just when she was getting into her studies!"

"What a waste. Will that girl never tire of adventuring?"

"I allowed her to return with the intention that she would continue with her studies. How dare someone whisk in to unsettle her once more!"

"I know, Hannah. I know."
-- Woody Allen

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller