z

Young Writers Society

Bo Wu [DT]

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:05 pm
Chaser says...

Do you mind if I tag the tiger? @Sheyren
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:23 pm
sheysse says...

Consider it tagged! @Chaser

We are now officially filled up! The SB is closed, and once the characters are all in (mine included 0___0), then we can begin!

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:55 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Sheyren Well, more like several. I got a Leopard, on my case, so, I'd rather assume I'd need a general basis. (Always useful to make stuff up accordingly).
Right.
Welp! Guess I'll start makin' my character, then.
Oh yeah, forgot to ask. So, I noticed that only one class out of all of them used Chi/Ki. Yet... Chi, as far as I understand, is a life force that literally everybody has, and that any martial artist can muster and use to some degree - especially in a Wuxia-like adventure like this one. So, to what degree can the Dragon School use it? Technically, they're the most powerful by far if they're the only ones who can channel it.

Not that I mind, to be fair, it'll just make a huge power gap, depending on the enemies we fight
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

176 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:38 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

@Tortwag (@Lael this applies to you too, I realize) The Dragon School can use Chi/Qi in limited amounts to amplify their senses. I.e. It can be used for faster reaction times, or more acute hearing. That being said, it can only amplify one sense at a time, and isn't as powerful as one might think. It requires a period of rest before reuse, and as a result of reliance on it, users of Qi are generally less adept with the senses they tend to amplify.

This is where I'm taking creative liberties considerably. I've also been toying with the idea of the other schools having their own limited manipulation of Qi, and so stay tuned if that happens.

40 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:44 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Sheyren In all honesty I was fearful of Hadouken Spammers; but would LOVE to have that on my team against the villains

But seriously, gotcha. To give out pointers: Usually, Wuxia stories represent Ki/Qi/Chi-based abilities with superhuman jumping, precision or parkour abilities (eyes/ears), ability to sense presences (smell/ears), and the ability to make any weapon OP if Qi (I'll just go with that writing, here) is channeled properly.

I... don't know how much this can apply to our case, but I hope it serves as good food for thought. The concept in itself can be interpreted in an infinity of ways, so obviously, I'm generalizing because this thing ain't just some Hadouken spam that everyone uses.

Thanks for the answer, m'dear!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:47 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

@Sheyren if the school description didn't specify a weapon, does that mean that our character can't use any weapon at all?
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

40 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:00 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

↑ Oh gosh, I want me some exotic Chinese weapon, 'tis the best opportunity

176 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:39 pm
sheysse says...

@Lael @Tortwag I've decided that you can select a single weapon your school uses, based on their combat style. Preferably keep it with the Chinese theme. For Crane, I've selected the staff, as already mentioned. Mention me with your selection in the DT, if you even want to have a weapon.

Also, I've come up with some qi uses for the other schools. Tiger can increase physical strength, Leopard can increase speed, Crab can increase balance, and I'm still working on Snake.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:37 pm
HazelGrace16 says...

Well as I mentioned in my CP Sun Yi can block Chi so that could be the specialty. They can block which inherently makes it so they cannot access their own without extreme effort. May give some dynamic?? @Sheyren
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

176 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:46 pm
sheysse says...

I like it! That's what we'll do, as it totally fits with the idea of the Snake school.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:15 am
Lael says...

@Sheyren I'll be happy with a regular Chinese sword, or jian. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jian
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

40 Reviews

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:39 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

@HazelGrace16 Oooh. But then, the Snake could specialize in Qi-infused pressure points! Not only does it thematically fits the snake - because precision - the whole point of characters that specialize in that kind of fighting style is that they can see your Qi, and block it from the inside - so no matter how tough you are, it's like you were given an electric shock that you can't "block" if you take it head on.

A great representation of that is Neji Hyuga from the Naruto series, or heck, even Superman from DCcomics. In the first case, Neji specialized in Qi-infused precise strikes to literally paralyze you in place or strike your vital organs (he can even see your Qi - called Chakra in Naruto, but it's basically that - and strike according to that special vision of his), whereas Superman is so fast and knowledgeable that he can use pressure points super fast on most people to hurt then harder than if he punched you.
↑ A fun possibility! China happens to have quite a few styles that rely on stuff like that.

As for me, @Sheyren, I request the deer horn knives! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_Horn_Knives) They were specifically used and designed with speed and precision in mind, so, there you have it.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:27 pm
HazelGrace16 says...

Lol I actually used Ty Lee from Avatar as my main source of ability inspiration @Tortwag
"Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine" - The Imitation Game

40 Reviews

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:45 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@HazelGrace16 Nice XD And a good coincidence, m'dear, considering that Ty Lee and her entire style of pressure points is literally what Neji does, since, well, they both take their styles from the same, real-life source. And with the same effect - Ty Lee prevents Benders to use their Bending (or, in Sokka's case, he can't use body parts at all), and Neji does that for body parts + any Chakra-based technique. So, yeah! Interchangeable references for the win.

176 Reviews

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:26 pm
sheysse says...

@Lael and @Tortwag Weapons approved!

As for @HazelGrace16 and her school's qi usage, I'll let you decide what you specifically want, as I have little preference. Provided it's not ridiculously overpowered. XD

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato