Young Writers Society

The Math Club DT

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:14 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I'm going to cast my vote for Sybil as well because of Sybil Trelawney. ^_^ But before we come to final decisions on her name, I think we should wait for @AnarchyWolf, @LordZeus, and @Sacredlege to voice their opinions. ^_^
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

383 Reviews

Reviews: 383
Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:06 am
View Likes
Sujana says...

I like the name Sybil, too. If we're voting on it.

Also, sorry I'm late, Mage. I'll get up my thing soon, but I'm not up-to-date with the lore, so I'll just add my questions here:

1. Why is the Math Clubs of all things a magic club?

2. How do none of the students know about the magic club?

3. Is there a world of magicians here? Are there other "Math Clubs"?

4. Does this have anything to do with math at all?

5. What are our abilities? Like, what kind of magic can we do?

I'm sorry if you've answered this before, I asked by only reading the front slightly, so I'll educate myself further and see how it goes.

Thank you for tolerating my lateness and presence.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Ecclesiastes 1: 18

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:05 pm
Mageheart says...

Don't worry about it! ^_^ I'm happy to answer your questions, even if they've been answered already - which I don't think most of them have.

1. Why is the Math Clubs of all things a magic club?

I think the question that makes more sense here is "Why is the magical resistance, of all things, a math club?" It's a front. Most students wouldn't want to join a math club if their school had one. (I speak from experience - back when I was in middle school I was the only one in my grade who regularly came.) There will be some kids who might want to join it, but then the club's president (Arthur Croft, one of my characters) would tell them that they need permission from the principal. Who will tell them no.

2. How do none of the students know about the magic club?

They keep it a secret. They don't want to put their families in danger or be punished for resisting.

3. Is there a world of magicians here? Are there other "Math Clubs"?

There might be, but our math club is unaware of them. For the most part, magicians tend to be greedy, cold individuals who try controlling the government. Some are actual politicians, while others control the government from the shadows.

4. Does this have anything to do with math at all?

Not really, though Puck (the club's vice-president and my other character) loves making bad math puns.

5. What are our abilities? Like, what kind of magic can we do?

For this, I'd advise looking at the information in the first post of the DT. It should clear up a lot for you. ^_^
mage

queer and here.

383 Reviews

Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:00 pm
View Likes
Sujana says...

Hey, Mage! Made my character, now I'm figuring out my second one. Question: if a spirit is summoned, what would happen if they killed their summoner? Would they be sent back to the place they came from, or would they be stuck where they are?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:16 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

If a spirit killed their summoner, the spirit would return to the Other Place - save if there was clauses in their summoning that would force them to remain. However, it's really hard to kill a summoner. A spirit can only directly do it if they mess up on their summons. The charges - commands - a magician gives include a clause about not being able to directly harm them. A spirit would have to get creative. If you can get your hands on a copy of The Ring of Solomon someday, there's an example of how Bartimaeus outsmarts his summoner.
mage

queer and here.

383 Reviews

Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:19 pm
View Likes
Sujana says...

Also, follow-up question--I might make a teacher for one of my characters. One of the students, Charles, probably would back out of the club immediately if someone isn't constantly explaining the magic world to him in math terms, and thus I wanted to make a teacher whose a spirit (more controversially: the most powerful type) and only watches the club at a distance. I'm not sure who his summoner might be, but if it's possible, I want him to be an independent demon--which is why I questioned about the lore earlier. I haven't read the Ring of Solomon, but if there is a way for him to remain in the present realm without a summoner, could I have him there without specifying why? He was summoned a long time ago, so chances are it won't be an important plot point.

However, if I'm forced, can I make the principal his summoner?

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:28 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The school's founder could have originally summoned him and given him the charge of protecting the students as a teacher until a suitable principal came along. That decision could have been up to his jurisdiction. Then the current principal, who I think is probably going to be called Sybil Croft unless @AnarchyWolf and @LordZeus object to it, could have come along. Your spirit could believe her to be competent enough, and could have decided that he had fulfilled his charge. But he wants to make sure she's the right principal for the school, so he gets her to summon him.

That's only an idea, so feel free to change any of that! ^_^ Basically, I love the idea of him as a teacher and I would be fine with having Ms. Croft - who I probably should make a CT for soon - as his summoner.

I need to message you about your spirit (there's just a couple of things I need you to change), so I'll go do that. ^_^
mage

queer and here.

383 Reviews

Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:38 pm
View Likes
Sujana says...

Ah yeah, gotcha. I sort of felt that he'd get in the way of the lore somehow (especially with his powers and where his name comes from).

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:41 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I just sent you the message. ^_^
mage

queer and here.

383 Reviews

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:39 pm
View Likes
Sujana says...

I might make a post soon, if nobody minds. I'm interested in introducing Aziz.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:41 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I wouldn't mind. I don't think @LadyEvvy would mind either; I would advise checking with her first, though, since she was the one who was supposed to go next.
mage

queer and here.

383 Reviews

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:53 pm
View Likes
Sujana says...

Oh, gotcha. Sorry. I'll save my post for later--it's a bit personal, so obviously it's flexible.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:15 pm
View Likes
LadyEvvy says...

@Sacredlege, I wouldn't mind if you posted first. Mine is taking a bit longer than expected. I'll try to get it done by tomorrow night, but if you want to go before then you can go ahead.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:15 pm
Mageheart says...

Awesome post, @Sacredlege! ^_^
mage

queer and here.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:18 pm
View Likes
LordZeus says...

@Mage sorry i haven't replied in a while, but I've been busy. I'm in! I;ve submitted a cp, which I had tremendous fun writing. Also, about spirits, in the Bartimaeus sequence, most normal adult magicians found it very hard or couldn't summon afrits due to their power levels. plus, on the wiki it says that afrits are usually employed by high ranking government employees. And some even had trouble summoning djinn, so while I would understand djinn summoning among these teens, especially low levels, given the variety, I don't see how afrits would be anything but exceedingly rare, if not nonexistent, among them. Also, they never did say that afrits were common or that there was a large variety, so I don't see how they would be common here..

Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria