z

Young Writers Society

Timeline DT

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:30 am
Wolfi says...

@Chaser, thanks for letting me know. I forgot to mention that my date for the Middle Ages was likely inaccurate, and I only threw it in there after minimal research to make the letter seem more authentic. I'll change it to whatever is best, so what do you think?

But then again, do we necessarily want the Crusades to occur during this storybook? It's up to you guys.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:14 am
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

@Buggiedude2340, some historians say the Three Kingdoms came after the Han Dynasty, when it was in fact only the later part of the Han (I only realized the Mongols attacked later..) Anyway, one of the kingdoms became known as Shu Han (it was originally just the Shu, but then Liu Bei declared himself the rightful emperor of the Han dynasty, and thus his nation became Shu Han...)

Since we won't be in the past for more than a year, I am having a slight difficulty deciding on a year. It will however be between the years 195-208. I shall decide on one today...
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:15 am

The Three Kingdoms are in affect the three Remnants of the reclining Han Dynasty.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:22 am

This era is also considered the second bloodiest war in human history, second only to WWII (before the TK there were over 10 million households in China, after the TK, only 2 million households remained...)

Mademoiselle @Wolfie36, may I claim the Han Historian as well? If not may I claim the parent?
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

440 Reviews

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:46 am
Wolfi says...

Yes, @TheWanderingWizard, you may. :P
and do not be afraid.

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:52 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Wolfie36 The crusades provide a fine backdrop, but they don't leave much open-ended. Personally, Black Death (1346-1353) sounds interesting, I could be a mad doctor trying to take the blood of the child, who, being from the future, would be vaccinated. But being primitive and all, there is no method that leaves the child alive. Antics ensue. The only problem with including this time period is that I can't fathom why the kid would travel there in the first place.
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:58 am
Ventomology says...

Thanks for the dates, Journeying Conjurer! Also, do you have an idea of which kingdom will be a good starting place?
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

440 Reviews

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:14 am
Wolfi says...

@Chaser, I like your thinking. Taking our adventure into the middle of the Black Death would be no fun ("oh look, that guy's dead, too") and would make little sense, but perhaps a more minor disease could be floating around, and your character would be important as a doctor. Around those times, of course, a disease of some sort was always floating around.

In the novel Timeline, the time that the author went with for the main setting was 1361, in Feudal France.
and do not be afraid.

62 Reviews

Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:56 am

I was thinking we could start in either the Shu or the Wei Kingdoms, as the Wu was a lot more locked up than the other two. Liu Bei (Shu) and his two lieutenants will be the more likeable leaders, but we can say that the kid was kidnapped to warmongering Wei kingdom. That could make for a interesting tale (then characters could've taken part in one of the major battles.
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:46 pm

Everyone (more specifically @Buggiedude2340) I have decided on the specific year during the Three Han Kingdoms the boy travelled to! It will be the 208A.D, but if you want them to be there for more than a year, then we can go as far back as 203A.D.
Why did I choose that specific years? Well, a lot of important historical events took place during this time, the most notable the Battle of the Red Cliffs, the first major victory for the "good" Kingdoms. Also, there are several occasions during this time when the characters can actually become part of history, so...
@Buggiedude2340, now that you know the time period, you can start working on your profile. (I should start writing the hook paragraph for the description...)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

62 Reviews

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Oh, and concerning the Medieval period, why don't we travel to the Hundred Years War? It's after the Crusades, but before the Black Death? Also, then we have such a large list of events and important characters in the wars, we can go wild! (Well, not completely, but still...)
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror

Proudly [They/Them]

284 Reviews

Reviews: 284
Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:06 pm
RubyRed says...

I know that I am developing the Outlaw Kidnapper but do you want her/him to be fierce or soft inside? >.<
You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote

Review link below!
Ruby's Reviews

Knight of the Green Room

440 Reviews

Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:38 pm
Wolfi says...

@Wonderwoman, whatever you want, but since they are a bad guy and he/she kidnaps a kid, I doubt they have the kindest soul.

@TheWanderingWizard, the phrase "time is of the essense" is a hint to the fact that our adventurers don't have all the time in the world to find the kid and bring them back. They'll most likely spend no more than a couple weeks in the time period, for a reason I will be explaining in the first post. We won't need to keep track of the number of days that go by in the storybook, but it will emphasize the need for the rescuers to be impatient about their rescue, causing an extra conflict.
and do not be afraid.

284 Reviews

Reviews: 284
Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:40 pm
RubyRed says...

Okay, so where/when you I start on this character?
You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote

Review link below!
Ruby's Reviews

Knight of the Green Room

440 Reviews

Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:01 pm
Wolfi says...

@Wonderwoman just use the "all other characters" form I provided to create your character. Click on "create a character" to paste it in the description box, fill everything out, then submit it.
and do not be afraid.

I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.
— Roald Dahl