z

Young Writers Society

Pokébook: Hoenn [DT]

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:08 pm
sheysse says...

Just uploaded my character! Hoenn is one of my weaker topics for regions, so it required a lot of Google.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:36 pm
Lumi says...

Most of the profile is keen, but his Pokemon are a tad too powerful. I left it in the pending zone so you can edit freely, but my notes (@Bloo may have more) are:

1. Gallade needs to be taken down an evolutionary level (though Elex may still have the Dawn Stone ready--or maybe we make it a plot point a bit further in that he retrieves it?) His power pool needs to be reduced and calmed down to something similar to Rafe's or Toby's levels.

2. Flygon needs the same treatment. I'll accept Vibrava, but don't expect to take flight anytime soon since Flygon is poooowerful.

HOWEVER, if others have conjecture allowing the stronger partners, then I'll reconsider.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

176 Reviews

Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:39 pm
sheysse says...

Okay, I'll make Gallade a Kirlia and Flygon a Trappinch.

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:06 pm
reikann says...

Sheyren wrote:Okay, I'll make Gallade a Kirlia and Flygon a Trappinch.

Hah, oops. I guess I'll change my Kirlia and Trapinch secondary teammates.
/has been too slow/

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:09 pm
Bloo says...

As the Secondary-Mod to this I probably should have checked this before page three but...uh....>.> shrug >.>....yeah

Notes? Notes, right. Right.
Lumi hit the nail on the head with the power levels, but an important aspect to note is that this isn't a story where all conflicts are going be settled with our Pokemon duking it out.
Pokemon will be very present in the story, and there will be Epic Battles, but mostly they'll serve much wider range of utility and often be small-role characters.

I don't want to make an ass of myself with assumptions, but Flygon and the Kirlia-Lines are pretty much known for Staple-Powerhouses in Hoenn-Playthrooughs, but your character won't necessarily need Power Houses.

Short Version: Don't make your team like you're going out to challenge the Elite Four, try and think about what kind of Trainer your character is, and what kind of Pokemon they would raise as a result. (Both Species and the traits they pick up)
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:22 pm
Lumi says...

reikann wrote:
Sheyren wrote:Okay, I'll make Gallade a Kirlia and Flygon a Trappinch.

Hah, oops. I guess I'll change my Kirlia and Trapinch secondary teammates.
/has been too slow/

Feel free to still use them. You did mention them first in the DT, so Imma honor that.

Besides, there's total cuteness to be had in same-species pokemon bonding and competing. It makes for good storytelling for bonus elements.
-Shinji Moon

176 Reviews

Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:42 pm
sheysse says...

@reikann I didn't see you mention them in the DT first, but now I do. Seeing as you did have the idea first, I'll gladly change my pokemon. I just updated my CT with Kirlia still on it, but I can change it and I'm fine with that. Hoenn has one of the coolest selections, so I am pretty much satisfied with anything. Or, if you intend for either a Gardevoir or a Gallade, I can have the opposite. That might make for an interesting relationship between them. Either way, I'm happy.

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:06 pm
reikann says...

Sheyren wrote:@reikann I didn't see you mention them in the DT first, but now I do. Seeing as you did have the idea first, I'll gladly change my pokemon. I just updated my CT with Kirlia still on it, but I can change it and I'm fine with that. Hoenn has one of the coolest selections, so I am pretty much satisfied with anything. Or, if you intend for either a Gardevoir or a Gallade, I can have the opposite. That might make for an interesting relationship between them. Either way, I'm happy.

@Shayren, now that I've considered it, we ought to go with same-species bonding, like @Lumi suggested. It'll be cute!
@Bloo, I get where you're coming from, honest. My idea had been to work with the idea of Pokemon as therapy animals, so empathic Kirlia (perhaps to later become empathic Gardevoir) and incredibly fluffy Swablu seemed like natural picks. I doubt therapy Pokemon would be combat trained, so do you reckon that's still within guidelines?
Trapinch I opted for because Trapinch is a dragon, and dragons are pretty cool.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:12 pm
Lumi says...

Therapy pokemon sound wonderful!

Without giving away too much of what we have planned, it's a good idea to have a grasp of how your pokemon's personalities and your character's line up in harmony. There will be regional leaders who are leaders based on the traits they manifest instead of elemental typings as per the norm. Aaaand emotional value goes deeply into that.
-Shinji Moon

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:46 pm
Poopsie says...

I have to be female right

ALSO I CLAIM THE VULPIX. Or is that already taken
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:56 pm
Lumi says...

Have at the Vulpix, friend.

And yee, I'd prefer you to be female. I have mixed feelings about gendercasting for #balance, but there are dynamics that are more easily met with differing genders in higher quantities. So female or nonbinary pl0x.
-Shinji Moon

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:59 pm
Poopsie says...

alrighty
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:12 pm
Bloo says...

reikann wrote: so do you reckon that's still within guidelines?

Oh, yeah totally. I did not mean to imply that any Pokemon were banned/disapproved of,* just more a "food for thought" on why the Pokemon is on the team.
Your reasoning for a Kirlia is spot on and thought out, which is I really all I want out of profiles.

*aside from Legendariy and the Hoenn-Regional rules
Last edited by Bloo on Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:12 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

...Bein' a secondary/minor character wouldn't be problem... Maybe. I'll inform everyone if something happens anyway, so we'll see how this goes.
*Ilovepokemontoomuchformyowngoodgoshdarnitohandwritingingeneral*

I'll go with, uh... Electrike and Masquerain. Yeah, that should be fine enough for both battle utility and other research-related tasks (Electrike might change, but Masquerain's definitely confirmed). I shall work on that character template and should have it a few days from now.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

176 Reviews

Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:18 pm
sheysse says...

@reikann Is your Kirlia going to evolve into a Gardevoir or a Gallade? We wouldn't want the exact same pokemon in the future.

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.
— Mark Twain