z

Young Writers Society

Animorphers DT

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:36 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

@Steggy since the timeline has moved on, I think it may be a bit confusing to suddenly go back to the previous arc.

279 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 279
Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:03 pm
Steggy says...

Oh. I guess, I won't write a post until this current arc is over. Then write something when it needs to wirrten, so I'll wait ^^
You are like a blacksmith's hammer, you always forge people's happiness until the coal heating up the forge turns to ash. Then you just refuel it and start over. -Persistence (2015)

You have so much potential and love bursting in you. -Omnom

45 Reviews

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:08 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

@Steggy sounds good! Thanks.
Also, I've been giving some thought to the Battle of the Bands thing, and I figured it could be a part of the story for a while if we wanted it to be. What I was thinking is that since there were eight bands in the first round, they could cut it in half and pass off four to go to the semifinals, and then cut it in half again to get the two finalists, giving the bands a week or so to rehearse their material before going back onstage. Thoughts?

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:48 pm
Lefty says...

@Steggy, If you're already working on a post, you're certainly welcome to post it. It might be a little confusing having it out of order, but we've had out of order posts before. If you'd still like to post, I'm fine with it.

@Europa I would be fine with Battle of the Bands being a continuous thing, but do we have time for it? If Cole and Riley are captured after Battle of the Bands, then Riley is shot during their escape, wouldn't she miss all the future competitions given that she would be healing? Unless they were spaced months apart, but with all the solider Riley stuff that happens later on, I'm concerned we'll have trouble fitting it in.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

45 Reviews

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:59 pm
Europa says...

@LeftyWriter That is a good point. Do you think that, given the circumstances, they'd let the band pick a substitute? She'd probably get shot coming back after this round (Or at least that's how I imagined it.)

93 Reviews

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:25 pm
Lefty says...

@Europa I would think they would allow a substitute, especially if they were already a part of the band (like letting the base player take lead vocals or letting Emma sing again) but if Riley isn't there (and if Emma didn't take her place) then none of our characters would be there.

Based on what had been discussed in the past, I imagined Riley getting shot after they escape the Rebels and the Japanese find them when they're on their own.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

45 Reviews

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:11 am
Europa says...

Mm. I didn't think of that. I suppose they could drop out if Emma didn't substitute. Riley would take it a bit hard, but she'd get over the disappointment. Now that I think of it, that might be the better option with all the action we have planned unless we suddenly needed something to go in between, which is unlikely.

93 Reviews

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:47 am
Lefty says...

@Europa, Although it would be fun to do more with battle of the bands, I think that probably makes the most sense. And if you didn't want Riley to have to go through the disappointment of it, it could be an annual competition (without rounds of elimination), so if they won Battle of the Bands, they would win the whole competition for that year.

45 Reviews

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:56 pm
Europa says...

@LeftyWriter That sounds good. Lets go with that.

93 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:14 am
View Likes
Lefty says...

Hey guys!

I wanted to talk to you about some ideas I've been playing with, and some plans Europa and I have come up with, especially about Cole and Riley. I'd like to get all of the ideas and tentative plans out in the open, because I'd love to let you guys in on what I've been thinking about and thought it might spark some ideas for some of the other characters.

The first thing was an idea I had having to do with Cole's death.

Spoiler! :
What if Cole died, but it was temporary?

What if when Animorphers die in human form (in a way that doesn't damage the body too much, like drowning or falling off a building), their human side dies, but their animal side doesn't? So their human side would die and they'd morph into their animal, forever (theoretically) stuck in their animal form since their human form no longer exists.

In which case, Cole would come back as a Capuchin Monkey. The government would probably take his body, knowing that that would happen, and he would be stuck in a government lab for a couple weeks/a month while the others think he's dead. He would escape and find his way back to them, as a monkey.

But what if he wasn't stuck as a monkey forever?

If the M.I.C.s can put animal DNA into humans, allowing them to switch back and forth, why couldn't they put human DNA into a monkey? If they could get their hands on another M.I.C. (which Mr. Neil has all the research for) and use some of his human DNA, then they would be able to get him back, though his default form would then be a monkey, not human. But he would essentially, be back just as he used to be.

I had originally created Cole with the intention of killing him off, but I've really grown to love his character and writing for him, and I would love to find a way to bring him back. I really liked this idea because the characters could deal with his death, and Riley could move on (potentially moving on to be in a relationship with Neon), so when Cole comes back, it would be a really happy, emotional reunion, and allow for a very complicated triangle between Cole, Riley and Neon as well as some interesting dynamics and complications in general. Having him come back would be a major plot twist that I think would be fun to explore.

I've talked to Europa about this some, and I think she has some mixed feelings about the idea, so I wanted to bring it up to you guys way ahead of time so I could get your opinions and we could discuss it some. If you guys don't like the idea, I certainly don't need to bring him back, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:39 am
Wolfi says...

I'm a fan of Cole coming back, but the part about the human dying but not the animal seems a bit unrealistic to me. The Animorphers already have their blueprints of life - DNA - running through their every being, and it doesn't make much scientific sense for half of that to unravel in the case of death. Death is such a natural thing, and the MIC technology is not. I wouldn't expect them to work together in such a way.

There's probably another way for Cole to get "stuck" in monkey form. For example, he could have some sort of PTSD after a near-death experience that frightens him into the tiny shell of the monkey. Whatever that near-death experience is, perhaps in this instance the other Animorphers think he was killed but he was really just captured and caged in a small enclosure, another reason why morphing into a human would be undesirable/impossible. Once he's rescued, maybe he'll have to go through mental therapy and whatnot.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

45 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:37 am
View Likes
Europa says...

I like the idea of Cole coming back, And @Wolfical your idea makes a lot of sense. But killing Cole is what drives her to run off on her own the way she does. If she doesn't kill him, I don't see how that would happen unless she kills someone else important to her. Right now, the only other character that's really close to her is Emma, and I'm not sure that Hazel would be okay with her character dying. She could grow closer to one of the playerless characters and kill them instead, but they'd have to grow very close to each other to warrant the reaction Riley has when she finds out she killed them, which was the whole reason Riley is getting as close as she does with Cole. If she didn't have some sort of deep personal connection with them, then yes, she'd be torn up with guilt, but she'd have the strength to stick around and work through it. Cole was one of the most important people in her life, and finding out she was the one who killed him completely shattered her. And if Cole never died, why would she start dating Neon? I do like the idea, don't get me wrong. But a lot of Riley's development in the post-soldier phase depends on her killing Cole, so I'd have to figure out a bunch of alternatives if he didn't die, and probably have to scrap the relationship with Neon.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:55 am
Wolfi says...

@Europa, I don't see why we can't go with both ideas - Cole can be killed by Riley and his monkey form somehow survives, so that he can come back later and maybe have a relationship with Gwen. because our animorphers can't have any relationships except for those with another animorpher. Otherwise, it would be perfectly scandalous!

I have an idea for how this could work out:
1 - Riley and Cole are on a roof
2 - Soldier Riley stabs Cole and he falls off the roof
3 - Cole probably breaks a leg or something, and involuntarily morphs in an attempt to heal
4 - Japanese/other foreign enemy people take advantage of his weakness and kidnap Cole as a monkey
5 - The Animorphers can't find Cole anywhere
6 - They learn from someone that his corpse was taken for studies or bounty or whatnot
7 - Riley, then, knows that she had killed him
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

93 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:03 am
Lefty says...

I'm certainly open to other ideas of how Cole could die and come back as a monkey, but I'm not sure that specific scenario will work. Europa and I sort of planned that Riley would find him at the bottom of the building and that they would have an emotional goodbye, Riley actually seeing Cole as he dies (which ties into her guilt once she remembers).

What if he died and Riley left, then the government swooped in and took his body and had some way of reviving him, but they would have to make him morph into a monkey in the process, and he wouldn't be able to morph back.

93 Reviews

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:08 am
View Likes
Lefty says...

Also, I had toyed with the idea that the Animorphers have nanobots (microscopic robots in the bloodstream that help heal you). That maybe it was part of the original experiment to give them all nanobots and that that's why they can heal faster than average. (In Layla's post with the lab tour, I mentioned that they were shown blueprints for nanobots for possible foreshadowing). Anyway, if the did have nanobots, that could be connected to Cole coming back. Maybe he dies, but the nanobots live on long enough to heal him enough to bring him back. I don't know how that would be tied into him being stuck as a monkey, but if he just came back as human (not being stuck as a monkey at all) I would be fine with that, too.

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves