z

Young Writers Society

Battle School DT

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:58 pm
Basil says...

Quick question: wooould anyone mind if I started writing up another post for one of my charries and post it if anyone hasn't yet? Or would everyone rather I wait until all other characters have been posted for?

And yay @jimss23 your first SB is going well :3
(You should make more in the future! ^^)
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:32 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Basil I mean you have quite a few charries to work with, so as long as they're new students arriving/in the process of arriving, I don't mind, personally.

I'm 2/3 finished with my post anyway and shall publish it tomorrow.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

24 Reviews

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:41 pm
Basil says...

Yeah they're both new students ^^ I was going to post for Dimitri, who is in a foul mood. So if anyone wants him to "bump" their character I can do that :3

@Tortwag if I don't finish the post today I'll wait for you to post first. So then there are at least two posts between mine :)
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

40 Reviews

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:50 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

Gotcha! Enjoy yourself then, m'dear :3 Not sure if I'll boot Dimitri or not though, it's either him or Sullivan... Maybe both, because why not, lol.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:24 am
View Likes
jimss23 says...

Brainstorming

So...

Let's talk about arcs. I'd like to have a little structure in the SB as just randomly evolving a story without any structure makes me a little queasy. In a story like Battleschool, I think it is best to have a little bit of structure just to help move the story along.

We don't need arcs. This is just an idea I am floating out to Y'all as a possibility for where to move the story to now that we have begun.

The first arc I was thinking about was an examination arc. Our OC's are put through trials to test their abilities and determine their course of study at Battleschool. Combat oriented OC's go through a tournament style test, while enchanters and the like go through less dangerous exams.

This is just a thought though. But I thought it would be a good place for our characters to meet, perhaps interact, and get a good feel for where everyone was with their powers and where their weak points are.

Also, I cannot stress how important having weak points are. If everyone is already super skilled, then this whole SB is kinda pointless, so their needs to be balanced. Sullivan, for example, is incredibly good with his one ability but is a one-trick pony. I thought that the exam arc might be a good way to highlight that weakness, as well as his strengths.

If you agree with this idea, let me know. Depending on how many of you approve, we can move forward from there.

If you have any other ideas for arcs, let me know! I am not the only one with ideas and don't be afraid to challenge me on mine or add some of your own!

Cheers,

Jimmy.
This is the Rule of Three
Every writer's most sacred oath
Two boys to challenge each other
One girl to challenge them both

-Jim

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:14 am
LordZeus says...

@jimss23 glad you like it! :D Made the edits you asked for, And added the piece of lore. Thanks for that.

@Tortwag removed Zoness as you requested.

@Sheyren, gave Leafe Zoness's part in my post, since Tortwag asked for Zoness to be removed. I hope that's okay with you!

40 Reviews

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:00 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

@LordZeus Thank you!

@jimss23 Business time it is, then!

Spoiler! :
-So first of all, Arc-wise, the only thing I planned so far was a character arc for Zoness that would involve her home-place, and the lore of said homeplace would eventually affect the whole story.
What I have there is that the Volanval Sea Palaces weren't always the abandonned sea bases they were today, they'd have an entire story explaining what they used to be, and it's upon finding about that that Zoness would return to her homeplace as a special mission she'd request to Battle School to find some answers. I'll give out more details when I actually post, since I'll already introduce a few things about her home already.

To answer to the weak points part, I've already got that covered as well. In Zoness' case, her main strong point is speed - that will be fully explains in her posts - and her main weakness is power, in the sense thath she can casts spells and enchanting objectcs really fast - and usually has combos with them, which will keep growing as the SB grows - but if she fights against anything that can a) keep up with her, b) has enough defence to tank her stuff, c) is stronger than her with at least a) or b) as a side characteristic, she's doomed.

As for the examination arc part, I do have an idea for that, too, and that would be including everyone in the same event, but different tasks make different evaluations depending on everyone's specialty. What I mean by that is:

-So you gave the example of a combat-oriented tournament for everyone that takes the specialty, while the enchanters for example would do something else. Well, the problem with that - or so I believe - is that some enchanters are combat-oriented too, and if both events happen at the same time, they can't be at two different places to do both.

-But see, since the tournament tests battle prowess, it means that the school would test, for example, everyone's ability to fight with any weapon they're given. And what do the enchanters do? They create objects and weapons to enchant them. So the school could regroup people in random teams to test the battlers' abilities to fight with anything, while the enchanters have to build them good enough weapons (using the school's available materials for example) for them to fight with.

-This also tests their ability to work with anyone, under pressure, and see how they handle said pressure. While that happens, those who took a diplomat specialty for example would have to run around town towards specific merchants hired by the school for the event, and negociate the best prices or the best materials for their teams to work with. And guess what? Some specific materials can only be gained from people who speak foreign languages, or have cultural habits tha tthose who study languages would understand better. So, those who took THAT specialization are advantaged as well, depending on how much they master their craft, or are able to adapt to people's accents and customs, etc.

-It's also less financially taxing to have people work in team-based event, since it allows pupils to do stuff in the same place, do the same thing at the same time, but also have everyone worry about their own specializations. But with money nt being an issue for Battle School and all, it's also easier for the teachers to supervise everything anyway and checke everyone's profile. So, win-win deal for 'em.

Aaaand there you go! That would be my idea for the examination arc so far.

Do give me your thoughts, everyone! It is, after all, another pack of food for thoughts, so let's not leave this verbose glutton eat alone :3
Last edited by TinkerTwaggy on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176

52 Reviews

Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:41 pm
jimss23 says...

What do you all think about me doing lore posts?

This would be where I go in and write a short post from an NPC's perspective. Mostly it would cover stuff like politics and large general themes. This could help keep the lore moving and give you all more world events to work with. Plus I would use events that you all write about in your stories and you would get to see how they effect the political scheme.

Does that sound like something you all would want or do you think that would clutter up the SB?

Jimmy

-Jim

40 Reviews

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:18 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@jimss23 Small reminder: still awaiting thoughts and comments from peeps, since that wall of text I enspoilered up there is a general thing and I don't plan on just... using the suggestions on my own accord.
...Would be rude, anyway.

Yeah, I think lore posts are a pretty good idea. first because they'll make for neat pauses in between posts or arcs, and second because it's great for world-building in general. Definitely not against the idea!
Last edited by TinkerTwaggy on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

52 Reviews

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:31 pm
jimss23 says...

@Tortwag

I liked your ideas for the Examinations. I am working on a concrete guideline to the exams by synthesizing your ideas and my own. I will have that out at a later point, most likely tomorrow. I want to make sure they make sense with our OC's and am trying to find a balance between the different specializations.

Thank you for the ideas!

Jimmy

-Jim

40 Reviews

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:33 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@jimss23 *nod* Okay then. If any help's needed for that, give a shout/send a PM! Good luck, man.

You're welcome! Just makin' sure they're not intruding and are actually helpful, is all.

EDIT: THE POST IS COMPLETED! I'll publish it tomorrow, considering how late it is for me.

@Basil I ended up choosing to bump into Dimitri. If there's anything particular about his speech patterns or habits you'd like to tell me to make sure I make him act in character whenever I post, you can totally mention it here or via PM to make sure I make him act in character and according to your wonderful Author's Vision ;)

Going now. Smell ya later, people!

24 Reviews

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:51 pm
Basil says...

@Tortwag just ... Make him angry and rude? I'm not usually one to dictate how someone else writes my characters unless they get something super wrong like gender or accent or appearance ... Or unless they get my character to do something extreme that doesn't fit their personality description. And since we're at the start of the SB we don't quite know the characters yet, so ... You write how you think he works, and i can give feedback if you want?
Of course I am.
Why?

40 Reviews

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:56 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Basil Yeeeah, that's understandable - but since it's the first few posts and I have virtually no data on the way he acts outside of his CT, I'm just making sure I get as much "right" as possible. I won't need to do that later on, since we'll get used to everyone's vibe as this continues. It's specifically because we don't know 'em yet that I ask, but oh well.

Sounds good to me! *chuckle* Ti-i-i-ime to improvise.

Prometheus, thief of light, giver of light, bound by the gods, must have been a book.
— Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves